BREEDLOVE C250/CMe.......whatya think???

reiver

Thu Jun 09, 2011 4:33 pm

Willem

Rick is absolutely right you should definitely play a guitar before you buy it – but I’m sure you know that already and have either done that already or are planning to.

Of course, that sparkling sound that the Taylors are famous for can sound thin and trebly to some ears. Many people will prefer a stronger bass response to the punchiness of the Taylor. It’s certainly true that the cedar top will give you a much warmer tone than a Taylor would typically give you. And, of course, the tone can be affected by the player – the same guitar can sound very different when played by different people.

Trying to advise or dissuade anyone from buying a particular guitar seems to me like trying to recommend a wife. The final selection is a very personal thing and entirely subjective - we all hear guitars differently.

Stuart

willem

Fri Jun 10, 2011 7:10 am

BigBear wrote:
Willem- I am pretty familiar with these guitars. They were originally made in Tumalo, Oregon, my homestate, about 2-1/2 hours SE of here, by two guys who used to work for Taylor Guitars. They are now made in a beautiful new plant in Bend, Oregon just a few minutes from their old shop.

Breedlove made their mark on the guitar making business using exotic woods and avant-garde shapes. They have always been extremely well made.

Because I live close and have been to Tumalo and Bend many times, I've had the opportunity to play them alot.

My bottom line opinion is they are beautiful guitars but they sound dead to me. Every one has sounded dead. I also don't like the shape of the neck which is not like Taylor or Larrivee. And they use a really narrow neck which is hard for me to play with my big hands.

I have always felt that Breedlove has placed more emphasis on beauty than sound. I have had several opportunities to buy one at a real discount and I passed every time.

Remember that I have played Taylor for the last 20 years so my ear is probably tuned to that crystal clear, sparkling sound. All other guitars, including Martins which sound very neutral to me, seem somewhat dull. Even my Larrivee doesn't pack the punch of a Taylor.

So I would really recommend you play the guitar you want to buy first (don't special order it) and see if you like the sound. You will love the look. These are expensive guitars due to the wood and construction and I believe they sould much better for the price.

Good luck my friend and let us know what you decide to do! :cheer:

p.s. Apologies to any Breedlove owners. I'm not knocking the guitar. They are beautiful and popular. But if a TG member wants an honest opinion I feel strongly that TG should be the place to go for candid equipment reviews.

Thank you Rick,,, i played the Breedlove and the only thing i did'nt like was the strings on it(i am a lot used to Elixer),,the steel string i have is very sparkling so that sound is there( i do like Taylors),, i played ''blackbird'' and did some travis pickin on the Breedlove and when i go back to the shop i will play again,,i also know they have a great and good construction i must also say that i was a bit sad abaut the look this type had,,it looked very simple and sober,,saw an other that was nicer so i did not go for the look,,i ask for a smaller one and was there,,and i go not 1-2-3 and buy it..you made me doubt abaut it...

willem

Fri Jun 10, 2011 7:17 am

AndyT wrote:
[quote]I've played Breedlove's and I like the sound. It's clear and mellow. The guitars are well made. I really like the neck because it's more like a Martin's. I flat out don't like the fat necks. I love the Martin's neck and the closer to it I get, the better I like the guitar. It's easy and fast to play.

My only bad comment on Breedlove would be the action. I've never seen one that was setup properly and for some reason they always put high tension strings on them. They are much better suited to low tension strings. Now a good setup would probably change that.

A good choice. Let us know if you get it.[/quote

Thanks Andy,,it was my experience too and the action was very pleased too(but i don't know i good it can be,,never did a new setup on one of my two guitars)

willem

Fri Jun 10, 2011 7:36 am

reiver wrote:
Willem

Rick is absolutely right you should definitely play a guitar before you buy it – but I’m sure you know that already and have either done that already or are planning to.

Of course, that sparkling sound that the Taylors are famous for can sound thin and trebly to some ears. Many people will prefer a stronger bass response to the punchiness of the Taylor. It’s certainly true that the cedar top will give you a much warmer tone than a Taylor would typically give you. And, of course, the tone can be affected by the player – the same guitar can sound very different when played by different people.

Trying to advise or dissuade anyone from buying a particular guitar seems to me like trying to recommend a wife. The final selection is a very personal thing and entirely subjective - we all hear guitars differently.

Stuart
Thank you Stuart,,you are absolute right and i played that guitar a bit,,,and yes and how i affect it i was pleased with it,,it never happend when i looked to guitars and played them that i was playing well,,but it happend on that Breedlove,, i thought i go back and bring my friend along but as you mensiond it is very personal so i let it be and try agian on my own...and made an update now it is 93%, a bit closer...

snipe

Fri Jun 10, 2011 10:46 am

I currently play a Taylor. Nice guitar! But I find myself moving on from the sound it produces. The Breedlove I played was very satisfying to me.
With a deeper sound but not overpowering. But its pretty expensive and retails at $1800. I played a few lower end Breedloves and was not impressed. I played some higher end Taylors and they are beautiful guitars, but I just want a different sound so I guess its all a matter of taste and where you are at in your evolution of guitar playing. I agree with Stuart, its a very personal decision.
Mike

willem

Fri Jun 10, 2011 11:09 am

snipe wrote:
I currently play a Taylor. Nice guitar! But I find myself moving on from the sound it produces. The Breedlove I played was very satisfying to me.
With a deeper sound but not overpowering. But its pretty expensive and retails at $1800. I played a few lower end Breedloves and was not impressed. I played some higher end Taylors and they are beautiful guitars, but I just want a different sound so I guess its all a matter of taste and where you are at in your evolution of guitar playing. I agree with Stuart, its a very personal decision.
Mike

Hi,i like the word evolution,,,what i was looking for is a smaller instrument then i have and with a warm sound and pricely doable so round 500 euro the attension of Breedlove i got here at TG,,the salesman(also guitarrist)could tell me much also on the braceing woods(sound woods?) inside but forgot it(i ask agian),i believe they use Taylor as a example....thank you for your word...

Yamaha48

Fri Jun 10, 2011 5:08 pm

Hello my dutch friend Willem.

Today i whas by my local music store in Friesland(Heerenveen).
Going for some cabels and guitar stands.
But i must playing on a guitar,yeh im a child at home there.
Play there on Taylor GS mini EURO.499.00.
What s sound willem,but not a preamp on board.
The next Taylor ,sorry i for get the model number,but not the price.
A good 1400 Euro.
Plug that in,and play a litle time.
It whas a nice trip to my candy shop,hahhhahhaa lol.

cheers..............Anton

BigBear

Sun Jun 12, 2011 11:58 pm

haoli25 wrote:
BigBear wrote:
I have always felt that Breedlove has placed more emphasis on beauty than sound. I have had several opportunities to buy one at a real discount and I passed every time.

Rick, Breedlove called, they said you could kiss your commission check from them GOODBYE...... :laugh: :silly: :laugh:

Bill- I've been out of work for so long you'd think Bob Taylor would hire me by now!! :silly:

BigBear

Mon Jun 13, 2011 12:04 am

willem wrote:

Thank you Rick,,, i played the Breedlove and the only thing i did'nt like was the strings on it(i am a lot used to Elixer),,the steel string i have is very sparkling so that sound is there( i do like Taylors),, i played ''blackbird'' and did some travis pickin on the Breedlove and when i go back to the shop i will play again,,i also know they have a great and good construction i must also say that i was a bit sad abaut the look this type had,,it looked very simple and sober,,saw an other that was nicer so i did not go for the look,,i ask for a smaller one and was there,,and i go not 1-2-3 and buy it..you made me doubt abaut it...[/quote]

Willem- Please don't doubt your buying decision. ALWAYS follow your heart when it comes to guitars (and women!). It doesn't matter what anyone else thinks about a particular guitar or guitar maker. You will live with this instrument for a long time so get the one that sounds and looks right to you! Sorry I made you doubt!

Rick :cheer:

thereshopeyet

Mon Jun 13, 2011 1:07 pm

Thanks

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic