Song ratings

neverfoundthetime

Tue Jun 14, 2011 3:10 am

Soooo right, Dermot. The "NINE" songs have but one goal....."To crush their enemies, see them driven before the 9, and to hear the lamentation of the women".
But don't you just know that when you start getting to handle a 9, Neil'll turn it up to 11 ;-).

tombo1230

Tue Jun 14, 2011 5:02 am

I'm sure we all have gaps in our knowledge and technique. The number is just a guide. The bottom line to asses progress for me is when I try a song whatever the number, have several bits that I struggle with, then eventually over days, weeks, or even months, I can play it well, then that is progress in technique and playability at least. The number is not important. But hey, I'm learning an eight just now WooHoo!..... erm.... :laugh: :blush: :blush: :dry:

skaladar

Tue Jun 14, 2011 7:49 am

I agree that the rated number is just a guide and a subjective one at that. It may or may not “fit” depending on one’s skills and preferences. However what I really do find encouraging is Neil’s attitude about not letting your idea of your own level hold you back from trying more challenging songs if you have the patience and determination. I would have thought that an instructor would prefer to follow a more prescribed course and not try to get ahead of things but that is not the case. It’s due to this that I have gone on and tackled a number songs that were level 7 and 8 and I had a really good time doing so.Granted, they usually take a long time to get to a point where I am happy with them. I would never pretend to consider myself and “advanced” guitar player but thanks to Neil’s train of thought in that regard I am not holding myself back and adding to my skillset in the process. As a result I take any given song’s rating very lightly.

♫ Ken ♫

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic