Song ratings

millponddave

Mon Jun 13, 2011 7:37 pm

OK, Just a general question to ponder. How come the songs that I seem to have the most trouble with are the the ones with the easiest ratings and the harder ones I have less trouble with? Just wondering.

Dave

suziko

Mon Jun 13, 2011 7:47 pm

Good question, Dave! I think we've all experienced this same phenomenon. Seems like some songs that are rated higher than we normally play end up being easier than we expect, and some songs that are rated lower than our level end up vexing us for ages. I think, ultimately, rating the difficulty of a song is inherently flawed and subjective. Every person has their own strengths and weaknesses, and some things are going to come easier, or harder, to you than they will to another person. I think Neil has a rough system for rating songs, and the rating gives you a kind of general idea of the level of difficulty of the song. I'd rate my level of playing as about a 4 or 5, but I tackle songs in a large range, from about 1 to 7. I find beyond 7 is just too much work for me right now. Most songs in the 1-3 range are something I can pick up in a day, or even an hour or so. But there will be the occasional beginner level song that frustrates me for weeks or months. And some of the level 6 or 7 songs end up being easier than I expected.

So, more specifically in answer to your question, I'd venture to guess that you probably struggle with higher level songs, too, but you notice it when you struggle with the lower level songs because you think you "should" be able to play them easily. Just my speculation!

Suzi

thereshopeyet

Mon Jun 13, 2011 7:50 pm

Thanks

millponddave

Mon Jun 13, 2011 8:45 pm

Well I'm glad to know that I am not the only one to experience this phenomenon. I think that you are right on the money. I too try songs in about the same range as you and have a couple of 2's that have been driving me crazy trying to master. I guess we are all in the same boat. Nice to know that I have good company!

Dave

tovo

Mon Jun 13, 2011 9:23 pm

Hey Dave. It's a mystery mate but I think Suzi gave you a very good answer. We all have different strengths and weaknesses. I myself was once lost in the Norwegian Woods....I hacked my way through them for what seemed like an eternity before glimpsing some light. The number is just a guide.

haoli25

Mon Jun 13, 2011 9:32 pm

Yep, I agree the numbering system is very fluid, with one exception......a 9 IS a NINE. :) :) :)

cosmicmechanic

Mon Jun 13, 2011 9:42 pm

haoli25 wrote:
Yep, I agree the numbering system is very fluid, with one exception......a 9 IS a NINE. :) :) :)
Yes (nudge,nudge,wink,wink) and compositions that are NINE's are a bit harder to get your head around ...

haoli25

Mon Jun 13, 2011 9:57 pm

cosmicmechanic wrote:
Yes, compositions that are NINE's are a bit harder to get your head around ...

Soooo right, Dermot. The "NINE" songs have but one goal....."To crush their enemies, see them driven before the 9, and to hear the lamentation of the women".

millponddave

Mon Jun 13, 2011 10:46 pm

tovo wrote:
Hey Dave. It's a mystery mate but I think Suzi gave you a very good answer. We all have different strengths and weaknesses. I myself was once lost in the Norwegian Woods....I hacked my way through them for what seemed like an eternity before glimpsing some light. The number is just a guide.
Yeah. I seem to be lost in the Norwegian Woods myself. Nice to know that there is indeed a way through them. I'll just keep plugging along until I find my way.

Dave

cosmicmechanic

Mon Jun 13, 2011 10:52 pm

tovo wrote:
... I myself was once lost in the Norwegian Woods....
And I found "Ripple" (level 3 !!!) to be more a "Whirpool" !!!

But worth it !!! Just a lot of concepts to absorb in a seemingly simple melody.

... slowly but surely.

Pierre

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic