Which TGers inspire you?

cosmicmechanic

Sat Jun 18, 2011 12:18 am

There are so many here to inspire us by their progress, I'll mention only three in this post.

Wrench's (not sure of his surname) story is phenomenal ... from a hand injury with possible amputation to deciding to play guitar instead, and getting very proficient at it.
Hey man, I hope you're doing ok ! You've been away for a good while ... please give us an update ?!

Pete's (pbraun) progress has also impressed me. A total Beatles and also Neil Young fan, he has acquired a great deal of subtlety and rhythm in his playing since he's been on TG, I find that motivating.

Buddy has bowled me over more than once ... he was already pretty good for starters, but there's definitely been a change in the level of his playing.
Details aside, something gelled for him regarding musical expression ... adding subtlety in playing and singing, what a voice, and also recording technique.

There ! This is definitely a feel-good thread !!

Pierre

haoli25

Sat Jun 18, 2011 12:36 am

From someone that is usually never at a loss for words, I am speechless. Thanks to all of you for the kind words.

As usual, our friend Tony has got me scratching my head and trying to revive a few more brain cells. I finally had to get out my notepad and start scribbling.

Like others have said, all of you inspire me. I don't believe there is another site like this anywhere. The only thing that comes close to the great lessons at TG is the quality of the people of TG.

Back to the notepad.......

These are my "TG Guitar Heroes" that always inspire me. (and I hope I didn't leave anyone out)

Tony, Chris, Rick, Chas, Anton, Willem, Vanessa, Craig, Jason, Bob, Mark, Tammy, Dermot, Marc, Michele, Abilio, RicksPicks, Cori, Suzi, Joe, Al, Pierre, Jim, Muriel, Sam, Scott, Daryl, Jay, Ken, Tom, David, Dave, other Bill, Kevin, Dean, Brad, Jeff, Wally, Tommy, Pete, Jack, Dan, Mike, Steve, Lisa, Stuart, and Juan.

I would say to each and everyone of you that each time you post a comment or a video, I cannot click on it quick enough. Thank you.

Neil Hogan, I am so glad that you decided long ago to share your great gift and talent with the rest of the world. Your teaching style never ceases to amaze me. You are patient, concise, and encouraging in all of your lessons. It makes learning a joy. Thank you.

MattyB.....You Da' Man!!!! You have inspired us all with your courage and heart. As you continue to get better, I hope it is not long before you inspire us with your guitar lessons again. Stay strong, my friend.

And last but surely not least, Matt Williams. What can I say? Not only did you have the vision to imagine this great site, but you work tirelessly to improve it every day. You are first class all the way, my friend.

And I have to add, I hope nobody here has to go through what MattB has had to endure, BUT if you do, I sincerely hope for your own sake that you have a friend to depend on like Matt Williams. I don't think there is a mountain that Matt Williams wouldn't scale for MattB. To me, that's inspirational.

Thanks for the thread, Tony.

Bill

willem

Sat Jun 18, 2011 2:42 am

haoli25 wrote:
From someone that is usually never at a loss for words, I am speechless. Thanks to all of you for the kind words.

As usual, our friend Tony has got me scratching my head and trying to revive a few more brain cells. I finally had to get out my notepad and start scribbling.

Like others have said, all of you inspire me. I don't believe there is another site like this anywhere. The only thing that comes close to the great lessons at TG is the quality of the people of TG.

Back to the notepad.......

These are my "TG Guitar Heroes" that always inspire me. (and I hope I didn't leave anyone out)

Tony, Chris, Rick, Chas, Anton, Willem, Vanessa, Craig, Jason, Bob, Mark, Tammy, Dermot, Marc, Michele, Abilio, RicksPicks, Cori, Suzi, Joe, Al, Pierre, Jim, Muriel, Sam, Scott, Daryl, Ken, Tom, David, Dave, other Bill, Kevin, Dean, Brad, Jeff, Wally, Tommy, Pete, Jack, Dan, Mike, Steve, Lisa, Stuart, and Juan.

I would say to each and everyone of you that each time you post a comment or a video, I cannot click on it quick enough. Thank you.

Neil Hogan, I am so glad that you decided long ago to share your great gift and talent with the rest of the world. Your teaching style never ceases to amaze me. You are patient, concise, and encouraging in all of your lessons. It makes learning a joy. Thank you.

MattyB.....You Da' Man!!!! You have inspired us all with your courage and heart. As you continue to get better, I hope it is not long before you inspire us with your guitar lessons again. Stay strong, my friend.

And last but surely not least, Matt Williams. What can I say? Not only did you have the vision to imagine this great site, but you work tirelessly to improve it every day. You are first class all the way, my friend.

And I have to add, I hope nobody here has to go through what MattB has had to endure, BUT if you do, I sincerely hope for your own sake that you have a friend to depend on like Matt Williams. I don't think there is a mountain that Matt Williams wouldn't scale for MattB. To me, that's inspirational.

Thanks for the thread, Tony.

Bill

WOW Bill (Eric),,thanks to you not only that i see my name on your list but most of all to write for me the words that not could find,,i agree so much...it is really not for points..

willem

Sat Jun 18, 2011 7:08 am

You were most welcome Dave and thanks for remembering, that's really sweet! :)

Ness

millponddave wrote:
This question is almost impossible to answer. I am absolutely inspired by everybody that contributes to this site. I learn something from each and everyone here. Most of all I realize that my struggles are shared by many others here and that alone inspires me to keep going. Knowing I am not alone is a great help.
I do have one story to share however. When Vanessa put up her version of On The Way Home, By The Buffalo Springfield, (one of my favorite songs of all time) I wanted to learn it. I tried playing along with her but was unsure of some of the chords. I sent her a email and within about ten minutes she sent me the chords. How cool to be able to learn from someone halfway around the world!

Dave

suziko

Sat Jun 18, 2011 7:36 am

Tovo wrote:

Suzi has always handled herself with grace and style. Her guitar work has improved as much as anyone's and she is a serious student who deserves and gains everyone's respect. Personally, I gained insight into her balance and intelligence when she came out once and told me she disagreed with how I had handled a situation, and I knew then she was a person who isn't scared to say what she thinks even to a friend, certainly something I and I think most people value and isn't always easy to find. I suspect she is a great Mum (sorry Mom) and I sure hope she hangs around and continues to brighten this place up. I also hope I haven't embarrassed her!

Thank you, both Tony and Kevin, for your kind words. It's always nice to know that you're appreciated by others.

Like a few others before me, I really can't pick one person who inspires me. There are so many people here at TG who have shown me kindness, support and friendship. I feel lucky to be here, and I only hope that I can give back to others what they give to me. Like Bill said, TG is a really special place.

Suzi

jayswett

Sat Jun 18, 2011 7:59 am

Two TG'ers who have inspired me are the two Stuarts. Stuart #1 because he is hilarious and nearly every post of his makes me laugh, not to mention that incredibly clever video he did with Suziko (Decemberists). Stuart #2 because his guitar skills have improved so drastically since he joined TG, and also because he sings Cat Stevens so ridiculously well.

buddy

Sat Jun 18, 2011 10:06 am

Well Tony, I've been thinking about this question a couple of days now and I find it thé most impossible question you have brought up ever since I joined TG! :blink:

As others have stated there are simply to many people who are inspiring one way or the other.

So I will take your question literally. Very often I'm inspired by the videos that are put up here, either to give it a go myself, or to get it out of my closet again.

I think Suzi was the first one who really inspired me with her gorgeous video of Alice's Restaurant! Or Marc L. to get into Classical Gas again, or Mark to play Romanza again, or Al to play Dead or Alive again, or Stuart to try and play the harmonica along with the guitar, well that list is actually endless! But especially Tom (Tvarga) keeps inspiring/reminding me to learn high-level songs, he is really something for that matter, I really admire him for that!

Most of all, I'm sorry if it's not that original to say, but I am só very inspired by Neil himself, teachingwise I mean. He néver ceazes to amaze me whenever I watch him teach! He is trúly an inspiration and rolemodel to me...would love to be like that whenever I grow up :P !

Other than that, this community all by itself is just really réally amazing, it is in all kinds of ways inspiring to me, especially the kindness and support that everyone is providing to each other, I just love it and I love to be here, so thank you all, thank you so very much!

Ness

Phew, I made it through this impóssible question! :blink:

RicksPick

Sat Jun 18, 2011 2:02 pm

Ive been pondering this question

I will have to splitt my vote in 2

These guys have helped me on occasions, even set me homework to do, lol

Chris, Always inspires me with his ease from within, what a natural

Chas, the go to man with a strange blend of nationality

There are so many others I could go on and on

Marc, the traveling minstrel

Brad, O how he has come on in a short time,,,

Of coure all the others already mentioned in this thread

who inspire and teach me

O and another big inspiration is the peeps who struggle to sing but just do it anyway
I bow down to these people, they got bigger ones than me

RicksPick

Craig

Sat Jun 18, 2011 2:33 pm

The entire site inspires me in many ways. There are too many individuals to mention. However, after much thought about this question, I have come to the realization that it was a HUGE inspirational moment brought on by many members that stands out to me.

When I started to play guitar about a year and a half ago, I had a GIGANTIC fear of playing in front of people. After observing the forum and the positive vibe that was coming from it, I decided that I needed to get over this self-conscience fear of mine. I figured I needed to face my self-imposed fear to ever move on and get better. So, one day I recorded myself playing. It was HORRIBLE! I can remember my hands literally shaking as I tried to play Pink Floyd's Brain Damage. I downloaded it to my computer, and went through the steps to upload it to the forum. It took me about a half hour to actually push the "upload" button. After pushing the upload button, I sat there looking at the computer thinking, what the hell did I do?! After about 10 minutes...that seemed like an hour, I got a response...

first I got a pair of clapping hands that said "Bravo" from Bill. Then I got a "welcome to the poster's club" from Chris. Then a "good job Mate" from Tony. A "Good on ya mate" from Chas. Dennis said good job. Rick said, good effort but there were some wrong notes! :laugh: Marc gave me some advice. Suzi, Michelle, Jason, Damian, and the list goes on said way to go...

I was so excited that I called my wife at work to tell her that I got some responses and nobody said it sucked! :laugh:

That moment, and the encouragement I received was my inspiration to keep working and enjoying the guitar.

All of you inspire me everyday.

For that I say THANK YOU to my TG friends.

Craig

AndyT

Sat Jun 18, 2011 3:42 pm

Tony, Rick (The furry one), Chas, MattW, these guys have brought tears to my eyes. So to them I raise a glass.

So many others, If I went back through all the posts, I could find hundreds of small moments that really touched me in some special way. Too many of you are simply good people and its my good fortune to hang with you here at TG.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic