Which TGers inspire you?

tovo

Wed Jun 15, 2011 4:53 pm

Guys, unashamedly an attempt by me for a "feel good" thread. Tell us about a fellow TG member who inspires you and why. I know what you will all say..."How can I pick just one?"...well, you don't have to. Post several if you like but please post them one at a time.

There's nothing better in this World from my point of view than knowing you have a positive impact on someone. Knowing you have a positive impact on people you may never have actually met is doubly awesome.

I guess it's inevitable that there are people who you don't take very well to at times. That's life. But even for those people, you can focus on something positive. C'mon, make someone feel good. That's the purpose of my thread. Here's my first effort:

I'm a big fan of Rick the Bear. He takes more time to give considered, knowledgeable feedback than just about anyone on the site. When I struggle with something, I go to him (there are others) and he generously helps me without hesitation. When my efforts at Norwegian Wood were beyond laughable, he patiently watched and commented on the videos I sent him, and there were several. Without any intention to embarrass him, his personal circumstances have been difficult. He is a very well qualified person but has been out of work for ages. I don't think he gets the level of support that he routinely gives. There have been times when our opinions have differed, but that doesn't matter one little bit. He's been a bit quiet lately and I sure notice when he isn't about. I want to thank him for all the generous help he gives me and others.

I hope my idea doesn't fall flat. If it does then please accept my intentions were good.

thereshopeyet

Wed Jun 15, 2011 5:04 pm

neverfoundthetime

Wed Jun 15, 2011 5:29 pm

Now that's what I'd call a googly if we were playing cricket Tony (for the non initiated Chas will be a long later to explain that term, I'm sure)! To avoid a clear LBW (Chas, please!) I'm going to do one a day because there is much to be said and I'm sure I will leave too much out. So, to kick off.... in Alphabetical order (oh je, I'll have to pay attention now. Suzi, be patient, I'll get there eventually!):

AcousticAl is just about the friendliest, most helpful person I have never met! Not only that, he is 100% reliable and straight up. Now, I like reliable and straight up a lot! Al also has a great sense of humour and that impeccable ability of all Canadians to be completely kosher and politically correct on any subject. Not only that, he can play a tune or two AND has slowly but surely revealed himself (remember the G-string issue?) to be a really good vocalist. Al, you are my man-of-the-day!

tovo

Wed Jun 15, 2011 6:03 pm

neverfoundthetime wrote:

AcousticAl is just about the friendliest, most helpful person I have never met! Not only that, he is 100% reliable and straight up. Now, I like reliable and straight up a lot! Al also has a great sense of humour and that impeccable ability of all Canadians to be completely kosher and politically correct on any subject. Not only that, he can play a tune or two AND has slowly but surely revealed himself (remember the G-string issue?) to be a really good vocalist. Al, you are my man-of-the-day!
A lot of truth in there Chris. Why are Canadians so damn nice anyway? (Rhetorical question).

lueders

Wed Jun 15, 2011 6:39 pm

tovo wrote:

Guys, unashamedly an attempt by me for a "feel good" thread. Tell us about a fellow TG member who inspires
I'm a big fan of Rick the Bear. He takes more time to give considered, knowledgeable feedback than just about anyone on the site. When I struggle with something, I go to him (there are others) and he generously helps me without hesitation. When my efforts at Norwegian Wood were beyond laughable, he patiently watched and commented on the videos I sent him, and there were several. Without any intention to embarrass him, his personal circumstances have been difficult. He is a very well qualified person but has been out of work for ages. I don't think he gets the level of support that he routinely gives. There have been times when our opinions have differed, but that doesn't matter one little bit. He's been a bit quiet lately and I sure notice when he isn't about. I want to thank him for all the generous help he gives me and others.

I hope my idea doesn't fall flat. If it does then please accept my intentions were good.[/quote]

YEP, I am real glad you feel the same way about Rick the Bear, that I do Tony. I know exactly what you mean...
I appreciate his candor and patience. And, it is people like him, that give me hope that honesty might actually catch on again. And, I'm not talking about T.G. stuff...I mean he exhibits a level of consistency & integrity in general that I admire greatly!!

Cori

neverfoundthetime

Wed Jun 15, 2011 6:44 pm

A lot of truth in there Chris. Why are Canadians so damn nice anyway? (Rhetorical question).
Comes with the passport, apparently. My sisters have been so nice to me since they became Canadian many years ago;-).

AcousticAl

Wed Jun 15, 2011 6:53 pm

neverfoundthetime wrote:
Now that's what I'd call a googly if we were playing cricket Tony (for the non initiated Chas will be a long later to explain that term, I'm sure)! To avoid a clear LBW (Chas, please!) I'm going to do one a day because there is much to be said and I'm sure I will leave too much out. So, to kick off.... in Alphabetical order (oh je, I'll have to pay attention now. Suzi, be patient, I'll get there eventually!):

Thanks for the shout-out Chris. Don't think being p.c. is an "inspiring quality"- but I'll take the rest.
:)

And let me also say that Chris' posts and playing inspire me as well.
Chris has probably forgotten more songs than I'll ever learn! He's the kind of player that you'd love to have at your party. Confident in both his playing AND his singing, and I admire that.
And he's also not afraid to speak his mind when necessary, which is admirable as well.

Cheers Chris!

lueders

Wed Jun 15, 2011 7:00 pm

neverfoundthetime wrote:
Comes with the passport, apparently. My sisters have been so nice to me since they became Canadian many years ago;-).

Oh yeah, just like all those real nice Canadian hockey players trying to knock each others teeth out in the winter months. lol!
b.t.w. Al really is a helluva guy!! I'd vote for him to president of North America...any day and twice on Sunday.

Cori

BobR

Wed Jun 15, 2011 7:18 pm

Tony,

That's not fair :laugh: . There's so many TGers that I need time to think. Each have inspired in one way or another. I am just inspired by the way this whole TG thing works.

I'll have to get back to you later with details. :)

Gotta go watch Hockey :woohoo:

Bob

daryl

Wed Jun 15, 2011 7:19 pm

There are many here who inspire me. But I'll start with Tovo. Honest, sincere, and caring (almost to a fault). Willing to take a stand for what he believes in. Tenacious (I like that). I'm not very good with words or expressing myself so I'll stop there. But I'll just finish by saying, thank you Tony.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic