Which TGers inspire you?

tovo

Tue Jun 21, 2011 12:58 pm

That's great news Suzi. I'm really thrilled for you.

willem

Tue Jun 21, 2011 2:18 pm

@ Suzi,,,that taste for more....

lueders

Tue Jun 21, 2011 3:47 pm

Oh gosh, I am sóooooo proud of you!!!! You go girl!!:cheer:

And thanks for the sweet words! ;)

suziko wrote:
This thread seemed like the right place to share with everyone a "first" for me, and something that probably wouldn't have happened had I not had so much encouragment from people here at TG.

Last night I got together with a group of women and played guitar for them while they sang along. Our sing-along lasted for about 3 hours, during which we got through around 15 songs. Most were strummers and mostly Target songs (Country Roads, Take it Easy, Closer to Fine) but I also attempted a couple of fingerpicking songs (Landslide and Blackbird). I was nervous as hell going into it, but I came away from it feeling excited and charged. My playing wasn't perfect by any means, but people were supportive and positive, and I think mostly any mistakes I made people didn't really notice or care about. I can't describe how happy I am to finally have done something like this. It's been both a wish and a fear of mine since I started learning to play guitar, so to finally attempt it felt great.

I owe so much to all my friends at TG who have encouraged me over the going-on 2 years that I've been here. All the kind words you've said to me in my videos helped me finally take the leap and play for "real" people. There are a couple people in particular who deserve a special shout-out: Shel, Tony and Nessa for always being supportive and encouraging. Dennis, who has always encouraged me to sing and who helped me to get the structure of Blackbird right, even though he was leaving on a trip to Italy the next day. And especially Stuart (reiver) who spent time working out melody notes with me (so that I'd have a starting note to give people for singing), suggesting good sing-along songs and vetoing duds, and just in general being a super supportive and wonderful pal. I feel really lucky to have such good friends.

Suzi

RicksPick

Tue Jun 21, 2011 4:21 pm

So they finally know what we have for sometime
SUZI ROCKS

Well done

RicksPick

suziko

Tue Jun 21, 2011 4:25 pm

Thanks to all of you! Like I said, it's amazing the kind of support everyone is so willing to give here at TG. I feel very,very honored.

Now before this thread gets hijacked by me, let's get back to praising other people! :) I'll get the ball rolling. One person who always impresses me with his enthusiasm, positive attitude, and funny comments is Cori (lueders). He almost always makes me laugh with his comments, and his willingness to be cheerfully supportive to everyone seems bottomless. Plus, he's apparently got a secret Chipmunk that sometimes hijacks his guitar! :)

Suzi

michelew

Tue Jun 21, 2011 4:49 pm

Suzi,

You truely ARE an inspiration. I LOVE the way you challenge yourself and push yourself out of your comfort zone. It makeS me want to get off my bum and do the same.

You're amazing. My hero!

:)

Shel

tovo

Tue Jun 21, 2011 4:53 pm

Hey Suzi,

That's cool thanks a lot for that post. Cori is someone who I think is a really positive guy and a nice person to have around.

That's exactly the idea I had. When the mood strikes, post something positive about a member. I never wanted or expected people to pick out 1 person above all others. How could anyone manage that?

OK...I'm going again:

I'm a huge and unashamed fan of Tammy in Canada eh! She is just such a positive person online and having watched all of her videos with the New Englanders you can tell that is the way she is in person. She has a quirky sense of humour that I really appreciate and I often get a laugh from her. She can sing up a storm, especially that country influenced stuff, and I sure hope to see and hear a lot more of her in the future.

reiver

Tue Jun 21, 2011 6:40 pm

Why thank you, Suzi. You are kind. I'm really glad to hear that the night was such a success......congratulations. I hope you're as proud of yourself as I am of you. Watching your improvement has been one of the joys of TG for me.

Whilst I'm here - I'd like to put a couple of shouts out to;

Michele, another of TGs great improvers and a really positive voice in the forum. And a lover of the limerick - how can you not be inspired!

MarkM, whose flatpicking videos certainly inspired me to work on improving my own technique. I know he's off somewhere with some lame excuse about changing job/house/state at the moment(:)) which I hope is going well for him. I look forward to more posts from him soon.

michelew

Wed Jun 22, 2011 3:12 am

Stuart,

Thanks mate. I've loved every one of your videos, they never fail to frustrate my efforts to stay focused and get that damn extra mashmellow. You've cracked me up more times than I can count and I love the progressive, well considered and insightful views you bring when you chime into a discussion. I've also felt seriously encouraged and supported by you. You've help to lift me up and make my progress possible. Thanks! :)

Michele

willem

Wed Jun 22, 2011 4:16 am

Gee to pick one person and say why!!!!??? that aint easy ,,first it is the music that inspires me but i lose track here on which song i really want to learn,,,and then there are you that reminds me to a song and his music,mostly then i go and see the song/lesson again to see if my skills are better in playing,not better then the poster but if i could do that song and most i respect them that came out of zero...that is so nice to watch and follow and that really inspires me to keep on going,,,,you all are great and my inspire....

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic