What's your next purchase?

Chasplaya

Sun Jun 19, 2011 5:29 am

My step son has one of thes great value does all that an Ipad does easily and waaaayyy cheaper . Thinkin bought one myself. Way to go Andy!

michelew

Sun Jun 19, 2011 6:15 am

cosmicmechanic wrote:
michelew wrote:
Tony,

Besides a few iTunes purchases, strings will be it for a while. Although I'm thinking of getting a ukulele in November. Suzi inspired me and it will serve as a travel guitar.

Shel
Michele,
I think it's quite worth your while to be able to have fun playing the ukulele, but if you expect a regular 4 string uke to be as useful as a "travel guitar", then you may be disappointed.

First of all, of course, the chords forms are different ... that means practice time that you won't be doing on 6 string guitar.

At the times I've put some effort into playing a uke, it became obvious that the vocal "ham factor" is important when playing an instrument with much less resonance than a guitar.

A few years back, I loved doing the tune "In the Year 2525" on my uke. Then a friend glanced at my guitar sitting idle in the corner and asked "Why are you being punished?"

I have since put my uke aside because it is effort enough to get good at guitar, but I do plan to get back to it.

The moral is, a 4-string instrument sounds kinda thin if you are expecting to use it as travel guitar.

But let me suggest that there are 6 and 8 string ukes out there that may possibly be more rewarding for use as a "travel guitar".
(look them up on YouTube, some interesting reviews there).

Pierre
Thanks Pierre. I'm sure that's good advice and I will have a look at travel guitars at some point. But, really I'm after a ukulele because they look like fun and sound cool too. I would probably take it traveling if I'm going away for a week or more than a few days just so that I have something to play. Being smaller it's just more portable. We usually take a train or fly when we go away, so a regular guitar is a hassle. But, I don't travel regularly enough to justify buying a travel guitar. Sure if I do at some point it would definitely be worth considering.

All good food for thought.

Thanks

Michele

Chasplaya

Sun Jun 19, 2011 6:34 am

Hey Michele, Like you I had thought about travel guitars and looked extensively but I ended up buying a mandolin for similarcost and to date I haven't looked back. They are a great wee thing and quite challenging with thenarrow neck and different tunings , they make you think !

reiver

Sun Jun 19, 2011 7:45 am

Well, having just made a recent purchase - I guess my next one wont be for some time! But on the list in no particular order, are;

1) a small bodied cutaway
2) a 12 string
3) a mandolin

Also. looking to improve my recording set up and get a loop pedal, which looks like fun.

sbutler

Sun Jun 19, 2011 11:55 am

Chasplaya wrote:
haoli25 wrote:
sbutler wrote:
Well I just had to drop 12 grand on a brand new boiler and hot water heater. So I really doubt that any new musical instruments will touch my hands unless they are in a show room

Scott

A boiler and a water heater?!?!?! What fun is that? I thought you Alaskans "roughed it". :laugh: :silly: :laugh:

Bill
I agree Bill, what a waste lol, 12K would have bought me a nice few additions to my collection, a signature Clapton strat for a start!

Now theres an idea Tony if you thinking about Blues a Custom Clapton Blackie, Image Blackie certainly played the Blues.
Bill,Chas, I agree with you both. I could get by without a shower and just play all the time. I got pretty fond of the 335 the day I took the tour at the Gibson plant in Memphis a few months ago. However, I have a teenage daughter that thinks she has to take a couple of showers a day and she can really raise a ruckus if the water is cold.

haoli25

Sun Jun 19, 2011 12:43 pm

sbutler wrote:
Chasplaya wrote:
haoli25 wrote:
sbutler wrote:

A boiler and a water heater?!?!?! What fun is that? I thought you Alaskans "roughed it". :laugh: :silly: :laugh:

Bill
I agree Bill, what a waste lol, 12K would have bought me a nice few additions to my collection, a signature Clapton strat for a start!

Now theres an idea Tony if you thinking about Blues a Custom Clapton Blackie, Image Blackie certainly played the Blues.
Bill,Chas, I agree with you both. I could get by without a shower and just play all the time. I got pretty fond of the 335 the day I took the tour at the Gibson plant in Memphis a few months ago. However, I have a teenage daughter that thinks she has to take a couple of showers a day and she can really raise a ruckus if the water is cold.

You are a smart man, Scott. You must keep the women in your life happy. :)

Bill

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic