Sometimes it’s the little things; guitar milestones

michelew

Mon Jun 20, 2011 6:29 am

Lavallee wrote:
HI Michele, for me the recent mile stone is to be able to do alternate picking. Not great still but it opened the doors on songs I had given up on. Also as Vanessa mentioned, this year was also alternating the same string with 2 fingers had allow to improved on existing songs .

Sorry about your pick

Marc
Marc,

Great milestones. Thanks for sharing. and your understanding.

M.

michelew

Mon Jun 20, 2011 6:33 am

millponddave wrote:
Wow, who knew that a pick could cause such a discussion. I myself just buy Jim Dunlop 88mm nylon picks. If I lose or break one I just grab another and keep on truckin. But then again my playing is rather pathetic so maybe I should rethink things.

Dave
Dave, good strategy,as soon as I find myself ones I love I'll be gettin' me a bagful. What a shame now I'll just need to get myself to a music store...hmmmm...now what else do I need?

M.

michelew

Mon Jun 20, 2011 6:36 am

AndyT wrote:
Recently, a guy I've known for years heard me play and made the comment that I was really jamming. It's not much, but it made me feel like all the time I've put in has been worth it.

I have a favorite pick myself. I have 2 that are almost identical, but I favor one over the other simply because of its color. But my all-time fav is my steel thumbpick.
Andy - congrats. Nice one!

michelew

Mon Jun 20, 2011 6:42 am

lueders wrote:
Alas, I hear the sound of Taps being played over the land down under; in honor of your favorite pick....it has met it's Waterloo. Sad.

So many of my favorite picks have been: engulfed by couch cushions, sucked into the swirling, whirling vortex of the washing machine, or just
generally lost to attrition. I feel your pain, MicheleI I really do!

Also recently I've started to get more of handle on that thump-y, percussive muted E-string base with the heel of your picking hand. Neil Young does in songs like Alabama & Out on the Weekend. (Hydroman does it a lot & very well.)
Cori, thanks for the empathy. It's been hard. ... :( ... But now I get to butcher a new pick. Funny ... It met it's Waterloo in Waterloo (the suburb where I live)... seems fitting somehow.

Good job progressing on the Neil Young thumpy-thing. I hope to do the same some day.

Michele

michelew

Mon Jun 20, 2011 6:53 am

cosmicmechanic wrote:
Firstly Michele, my sincere condolences regarding the demise of your pick (Harold ?)

A pick like no other, I'm sure ... probably had no brother or sister as most go, an orphan :dry:

But please remember the good, HARD STRUMMING times ... ahhh your pick was so happy then.

So as we lay Harold to rest, we at TG stand and applaud ... sooo many tunes he managed to play despite Michele's interference !

RIP, Harold !!

Pierre
Pierre,

Thanks for showing my favourite pick so much respect. That's the most beautiful service I've ever attended for a old faithful pick.

I'm feeling a little guity though...I didn't even name her, it, him...But Harold seems fitting... He was SO happy. We ended up playing so well together there for a while. It was a gorgeous thing; playing as one.

RIP Harold. You were my first. I will always remember you. I hope there's a pick heaven and you get to relax or party as much as you'd like to. I hope there's music, lots of music.

Thank you.

Michele

tovo

Mon Jun 20, 2011 6:56 am

michelew wrote:
I don’t have another one like it, I think I got it from Tony actually, so I need to experiment again until I find another one that suits me well.
Damn it Shel you know I was going to ask for that pick back and you have gone and selfishly worn it out though using it too much. Unbelievable. And to think I only have about 200 others!

Anyway...to your question:

I tried hard to think (not always easy) I guess in my mind a major milestone for me has been getting to a point where I can pick out individual strings without having to stare at my right hand like it's going to fall off. That is something that just comes with practice I guess but it's a cool milestone and it helps to acknowledge these things to yourself.

michelew

Mon Jun 20, 2011 7:05 am

tovo wrote:
michelew wrote:
I don’t have another one like it, I think I got it from Tony actually, so I need to experiment again until I find another one that suits me well.
Damn it Shel you know I was going to ask for that pick back and you have gone and selfishly worn it out though using it too much. Unbelievable. And to think I only have about 200 others!

Anyway...to your question:

I tried hard to think (not always easy) I guess in my mind a major milestone for me has been getting to a point where I can pick out individual strings without having to stare at my right hand like it's going to fall off. That is something that just comes with practice I guess but it's a cool milestone and it helps to acknowledge these things to yourself.
Tony,

I was only testing Harrold out I swear. But, well you just can't help who you fall in love with. I can return him to you if you'd like. He is...was special, especially in his little duct-tape jacket. So butch. And such a sweet singer. And flexible... B)

GREAT milestone. I'm not quite there yet. But, I hope to be. Yep, you've got to celebrate the small wins too.

Shel

tovo

Mon Jun 20, 2011 7:11 am

Pierre even got his name right. Harold...named after my old man. You hang onto him, I'm sure you to are quite close now. :-)

michelew

Mon Jun 20, 2011 7:16 am

tovo wrote:
Pierre even got his name right. Harold...named after my old man. You hang onto him, I'm sure you to are quite close now. :-)
What a generous guy you are Tiny. Generous to a fault.

Lavallee

Mon Jun 20, 2011 7:39 am

michelew wrote:
tovo wrote:
What a generous guy you are Tiny. Generous to a fault.
Tiny Tim? ;)

Marc

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic