Sometimes it’s the little things; guitar milestones

sbutler

Sun Jun 19, 2011 11:26 am

You know what they say, "if you love something, set it free. If it was meant to not break, it won't. "

Wait, i think I screwed that up. "If you have a pic, and you want it to break, use it. If you don't want it to break, keep it in the....... Wait, I screwed that up."

"If your a lunie, and you break your favorite pic, you need to" ............... wait, I DON'T WANT TO SCREW UP ANYMORE.

Sorry about your Favorite pic Michele, but you should get excited about all the new songs you'll learn with the next favorite pic that is going to break someday.

Scott

haoli25

Sun Jun 19, 2011 12:19 pm

That is one sad looking pick, Michele. :S One never knows why these things happen. It reminds me of a string I lost last week. I thought it was still in it's prime, but it decided to give it up. It has now moved on to a higher "B" plane. A Viking funeral didn't seem to be in order, but I did send it off with 5 of its closest friends. We are all diminished....or at least lacking a major chord.

Bill

Lavallee

Sun Jun 19, 2011 2:29 pm

HI Michele, for me the recent mile stone is to be able to do alternate picking. Not great still but it opened the doors on songs I had given up on. Also as Vanessa mentioned, this year was also alternating the same string with 2 fingers had allow to improved on existing songs .

Sorry about your pick

Marc

millponddave

Sun Jun 19, 2011 3:03 pm

Wow, who knew that a pick could cause such a discussion. I myself just buy Jim Dunlop 88mm nylon picks. If I lose or break one I just grab another and keep on truckin. But then again my playing is rather pathetic so maybe I should rethink things.

Dave

AndyT

Sun Jun 19, 2011 7:21 pm

Recently, a guy I've known for years heard me play and made the comment that I was really jamming. It's not much, but it made me feel like all the time I've put in has been worth it.

I have a favorite pick myself. I have 2 that are almost identical, but I favor one over the other simply because of its color. But my all-time fav is my steel thumbpick.

lueders

Mon Jun 20, 2011 12:57 am

Alas, I hear the sound of Taps being played over the land down under; in honor of your favorite pick....it has met it's Waterloo. Sad.

So many of my favorite picks have been: engulfed by couch cushions, sucked into the swirling, whirling vortex of the washing machine, or just
generally lost to attrition. I feel your pain, MicheleI I really do!

Vanessa & Marc, that is really something...I know what you mean about the- multiple- notes- on- the- same- string- so- you- have- to- change- fingers thing. Neil must have really taught that lesson(s) well because it has opened up lots of doors/ possibilities for me too! About that time I was reading an old guitar magazine & they were talking about "rest" strokes, "free" strokes, the picking the same consecutive string bit and all this other stuff.... and then later I watched one of Neil's lessons and he was hitting on the same exact thing & it started to kinda click into place. Now I don't shy away from those passages in songs. I rather enjoy them now that I have a better plan of attack.

Also recently I've started to get more of handle on that thump-y, percussive muted E-string base with the heel of your picking hand. Neil Young does in songs like Alabama & Out on the Weekend. (Hydroman does it a lot & very well.)

cosmicmechanic

Mon Jun 20, 2011 2:08 am

Firstly Michele, my sincere condolences regarding the demise of your pick (Harold ?)

A pick like no other, I'm sure ... probably had no brother or sister as most go, an orphan :dry:

But please remember the good, HARD STRUMMING times ... ahhh your pick was so happy then.

So as we lay Harold to rest, we at TG stand and applaud ... sooo many tunes he managed to play despite Michele's interference !

RIP, Harold !!

Pierre

michelew

Mon Jun 20, 2011 6:13 am

willem wrote:
Yesterday a friends birthday night party i geuss i had one,, they were all yelling,,,''yes a new one'' and then i mean i introduce them to ''teach your children'' first i was playing it with a very on tone staying girlfriend and then it got attension by the others and they liked...the milestone was that i was playing and singin it and they go with me!!! most of the time i was only a background guitarist(i i call me that now!!! well i dare..lol) just playing along with my friend...so the coming day's i will stay on the tune for enjoying the milestone...
Congratulations Willem. That's a great milestone. I'd be very happy with it.

Michele

michelew

Mon Jun 20, 2011 6:21 am

sbutler wrote:
You know what they say, "if you love something, set it free. If it was meant to not break, it won't. "

Wait, i think I screwed that up. "If you have a pic, and you want it to break, use it. If you don't want it to break, keep it in the....... Wait, I screwed that up."

"If your a lunie, and you break your favorite pic, you need to" ............... wait, I DON'T WANT TO SCREW UP ANYMORE.

Sorry about your Favorite pic Michele, but you should get excited about all the new songs you'll learn with the next favorite pic that is going to break someday.

Scott
Scott, nice points...well nice attempt at ... points. Now you're just teasing me. You mean my next one will wear out too. You mean I'm destined to have more heartbreak after I've broken the next one in... I don't know if I'm strong enough for that.... How do you handle the sadness???
B)

M.

michelew

Mon Jun 20, 2011 6:26 am

haoli25 wrote:
That is one sad looking pick, Michele. :S One never knows why these things happen. It reminds me of a string I lost last week. I thought it was still in it's prime, but it decided to give it up. It has now moved on to a higher "B" plane. A Viking funeral didn't seem to be in order, but I did send it off with 5 of its closest friends. We are all diminished....or at least lacking a major chord.

Bill
You lost a B string, that is SO sad. It almost rivals my pick story...well almost. At least your b-string will be in good company.

Hey do you think I should frame my first worn pick?

Thanks for the understanding.
:)

Michele

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic