Pick-y, pick-y, pick-y; the continuing saga of a woman in search of a new favourite pick

michelew

Sun Jun 26, 2011 12:07 am

Well as the title suggests, this is more rambling from me about my quest to find a new favourite (type of) pick.

Chas - don't worry, I've discovered that I can actually play with just about any type of pick, some just get chucked quickly with an accompanying yuk! So if I get stuck on a desert island without my favourite picks I'll be OK; well... As long as I have a guitar and lots of strings and someone to play and sing with and music and... Well food... Ok so a desert island is not for me.

Anyway; I digress. How unlike me.

So over the last few days I've been trying lots of different pick; thicknesses from
O.52 mm to 2 mm; materials nylon, delrin, duralin, ultex, tortex and some other polymers that I can't identify. Some of these materials may well be the same type of polymer under a different commercial name. I've been surprised at the difference in feel, sound, control, grip and all round playing fun. I've found myself gravitating towards the 1.0 -1.2 range and am currently favoring the Dunlop 1.14s in tortex and delrin which have quite different sounds.

Here's a couple of piccies - yes I am crazy.

This is them arranged by thickness and type.

Arranged by thickness range. Aren't they preeeetty!

And here's the ones I'm favouring.

It's been fun. So what's your favourite type of pick or is it a case of 'who cares?'.

BTW - thanks to Hydroman, Dermot, Nessa and everyone else that suggested types of picks. It's been a fun journey.

Michele

haoli25

Sun Jun 26, 2011 12:34 am

Hang in there, woman! Keep searching til you find the one you like, then buy a LOT of them. Here are a couple of more you might audition to replace the late Harold.

Bill

http://www.redbeartrading.com/

http://www.bluechippick.net/

Chasplaya

Sun Jun 26, 2011 12:49 am

Why oh why am I not surprised at this post, actually expected you along sooner lol.

Well as one who went off to Auckland a couple of weeks back minus guitar and picks! Picks not a lot of good without guitar!! The friends I was staying with had two guitars woo hoo, hang on no picks!! So off I went to the closest music store to make a grand purchase No not a $1000 purchase just a good one of a 1/2 doz picks, thinking of you I thought I need to try some different ones . I saw some nice Stagg picks in varying colours and thickness's. Now the purple 2.0mm are fine but do not , I repeat do not on any account buy the 1.0mm clear ones... Why? I hear you ask well they are a right B@st$rd to find if you drop them on the floor being clear they are almost impossible to find, I am sure there are at least 3 on my office floor right now waiting to be found by the vacuum cleaner!!

Anyway these were a stopgap measure they (at least the purple ones) did the job. However, Now I am back home I have reverted to my old die-hard Fender medium 60th Anniversary pick. I bought a quantity when Fender had their 60th Anniversary (funny that) They came in a neat tin shaped like a pick. And not that they are anything special grip wise its just that I bought a lot of them and need to use them up so by default they are my goto pick at the moment lol.

As mentioned before I think you get used to what you have; some people get too attached to things like picks etc. Now off to play guitar Now where's Billy , he's my pick you know! :laugh:

willem

Sun Jun 26, 2011 12:56 am

Hi Michele,,,it's gonna rain picks no i geuss,,i am not a collector but just started with one.. Image

Chasplaya

Sun Jun 26, 2011 1:01 am

Whatever you do its not this kind of pick we want

willem

Sun Jun 26, 2011 1:14 am

Chasplaya wrote:
Whatever you do its not this kind of pick we want

Ahahahah,,,long nails will do that,,,gatsie !!!!

willem

Sun Jun 26, 2011 1:24 am

michelew wrote:
Well as the title suggests, this is more rambling from me about my quest to find a new favourite (type of) pick.

Chas - don't worry, I've discovered that I can actually play with just about any type of pick, some just get chucked quickly with an accompanying yuk! So if I get stuck on a desert island without my favourite picks I'll be OK; well... As long as I have a guitar and lots of strings and someone to play and sing with and music and... Well food... Ok so a desert island is not for me.

Anyway; I digress. How unlike me.

So over the last few days I've been trying lots of different pick; thicknesses from
O.52 mm to 2 mm; materials nylon, delrin, duralin, ultex, tortex and some other polymers that I can't identify. Some of these materials may well be the same type of polymer under a different commercial name. I've been surprised at the difference in feel, sound, control, grip and all round playing fun. I've found myself gravitating towards the 1.0 -1.2 range and am currently favoring the Dunlop 1.14s in tortex and delrin which have quite different sounds.

Here's a couple of piccies - yes I am crazy.

Image Image Aren't they preeeetty!

And here's the ones I'm favouring.

It's been fun. So what's your favourite type of pick or is it a case of 'who cares?'.

BTW - thanks to Hydroman, Dermot, Nessa and everyone else that suggested types of picks. It's been a fun journey.

Michele

[bYou missed one and that is one that has Neil on it,,,or our pickture...[/b]

willem

Sun Jun 26, 2011 1:37 am

One hour to go and heading to the west(to Elvis) i take three picks with me ,,Two U.S.A nylon and one that sticks like gleu 'cos i'm stuck on it....

michelew

Sun Jun 26, 2011 3:11 am

haoli25 wrote:
Hang in there, woman! Keep searching til you find the one you like, then buy a LOT of them. Here are a couple of more you might audition to replace the late Harold.

Bill

http://www.redbeartrading.com/

http://www.bluechippick.net/
Thanks Bill. Thanks for the temptation. I'm definitely curious, but I think I should learn how to play before I start paying $20 for a single pick.

Ratbag! :P

Do they come with mad skills???

Michele

daryl

Sun Jun 26, 2011 3:37 am

Picks, picks, pick, haha! :laugh:

Well you got yourself a great collection, that's for sure!

My favourite, hmmmm....no favourites, maybe my pink 'Graceland'-pick, but I lost it during a performance a couple of months ago :( .....but that was more because it was Elvis related.

However, I use the grey one, Dunlop 88 all the time, and a thicker one for the electrical guitar, like the green one, not sure about the thickness, can't read it anymore..

Anyway, I'm really curious wich one is going to be your favourite next! ;)

Nessa

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic