Pick-y, pick-y, pick-y; the continuing saga of a woman in search of a new favourite pick

Hydroman52

Wed Aug 10, 2011 1:06 am

michelew wrote:
So for now just keep us posted on your Frankenpick journey.
The saga of Frankenpick is officially over. It ended on Sunday with the final creation of Bride of Frankenpick II (BoF II). Here is the rest of the story mostly in pictures:

Frankenpick creations

The BoF series is a sandwich of two Snarling Dog .53mm Brain picks with a 2.0mm Dunlop Gator Grip Super-Glued in the middle. I believe these Brain picks are the same ones that Daryl said he uses. They are as flexible as a Cirque du Soleil contortionist . . . check it out:

At the pick circus

When finished, they are about 1.0mm thinner than predecessors Frankenpick I & II. They are very stout and you just cannot drop them.

Cost: Still under a dollar US each.
Time to build: About 10 minutes each including the time to find my tools.
Estimated lifespan at normal playing: 1 month.

All that's left is to attach the brains to an electrical circuit, give it a snap, and . . . . . . .wait for it . . . . . . . . . . IT'S ALIVE!!!!!!!

I tried one more pick in a last desperation attempt to find something off the shelf that doesn’t need the monkey work of customizing. They are the Dunlop Max-Grip Carbon Fiber Jazz III picks. They are quite nice if you prefer a smaller stout pick that seems to be a only tad thicker than 1.14mm and with the super-grip texture of the Brain picks. Afraid they are a little too small for my taste. Otherwise, would probably be using them for my main picks . . . . bummer. Michele, you may be interested if you are still looking for your pick . . . .

Carbon fiber does not bend

Wrong size and shape

Cost:Under a buck each US. This is surprising since all my kayak, fishing, skiing, etc. gear that is carbon fiber is so outrageously expensive.
Time: 2 seconds to open the pack and play!
Estimated lifespan at normal playing: Unsure of the durability of carbon fiber.

Hydroman52

willem

Wed Aug 10, 2011 1:25 am

Hydroman52 wrote:
michelew wrote:
So for now just keep us posted on your Frankenpick journey.
The saga of Frankenpick is officially over. It ended on Sunday with the final creation of Bride of Frankenpick II (BoF II). Here is the rest of the story mostly in pictures:

Frankenpick creations

The BoF series is a sandwich of two Snarling Dog .53mm Brain picks with a 2.0mm Dunlop Gator Grip Super-Glued in the middle. I believe these Brain picks are the same ones that Daryl said he uses. They are as flexible as a Cirque du Soleil contortionist . . . check it out:

At the pick circus

When finished, they are about 1.0mm thinner than predecessors Frankenpick I & II. They are very stout and you just cannot drop them.

Cost: Still under a dollar US each.
Time to build: About 10 minutes each including the time to find my tools.
Estimated lifespan at normal playing: 1 month.

All that's left is to attach the brains to an electrical circuit, give it a snap, and . . . . . . .wait for it . . . . . . . . . . IT'S ALIVE!!!!!!!

I tried one more pick in a last desperation attempt to find something off the shelf that doesn’t need the monkey work of customizing. They are the Dunlop Max-Grip Carbon Fiber Jazz III picks. They are quite nice if you prefer a smaller stout pick that seems to be a only tad thicker than 1.14mm and with the super-grip texture of the Brain picks. Afraid they are a little too small for my taste. Otherwise, would probably be using them for my main picks . . . . bummer. Michele, you may be interested if you are still looking for your pick . . . .

Carbon fiber does not bend

Wrong size and shape

Cost:Under a buck each US. This is surprising since all my kayak, fishing, skiing, etc. gear that is carbon fiber is so outrageously expensive.
Time: 2 seconds to open the pack and play!
Estimated lifespan at normal playing: Unsure of the durability of carbon fiber.

Hydroman52

It was all great info and i get something out of it too and that is i gleu now two picks to each other to make it brider under my thumb and finger,,that was a great tip,, well for me.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic