Whom to impress?

AndyT

Tue Jun 28, 2011 4:47 am

Not that we need, or want to, but if you could choose anyone to be impressed with your playing, who would it be?

Chasplaya

Tue Jun 28, 2011 5:07 am

Anyone who gives honest praise will do. But mostly I like to impress myself cos that's why I play, for me.. Since being a member here at TG I've impressed myself regularly; what a great feeling..

daryl

Tue Jun 28, 2011 5:54 am

I wish I could impress my wife. :(

willem

Tue Jun 28, 2011 6:19 am

Yes i absolute agree with Chas and when i impressed myself i would share it with others....

jimbo58

Tue Jun 28, 2011 6:29 am

me

Music Junkie

Tue Jun 28, 2011 8:38 am

Myself mostly. I am my own worst critic, so that will be tough to do.... ;)

I would be very pleased if I could impress my wife and kids too.... :)

MJ

dennisg

Tue Jun 28, 2011 9:31 am

With all due respect, I think it's emotionally dangerous to even think in terms of impressing people. It's an expression of pride that I'm uncomfortable with. My goal as a guitarist is simply to have fun -- not to have other people dazzled by my skill.

cosmicmechanic

Tue Jun 28, 2011 9:49 am

I'd choose to impress Louise, my high school English literature class teacher :kiss: , but it's over 30 years too late now ...

neverfoundthetime

Tue Jun 28, 2011 10:07 am

With all due respect, I think it is completely natural and healthy to want to impress others as well as yourself. And I believe it is a powerful (albeit, extrinsic) motivating factor. Pride in performance is a desirable factor in my book. How do I know if my performance is good (enough) unless I have feedback reflected back at me from people who are in a position to judge? Admittedly, as I improve I have a better feeling of how good/bad my performance actually is based on previous experience and feedback and I become more centred on my own judgement of how I performed. But in the beginning, I'd have been unable to judge my own performance devoid of outside feedback.

If the matter of impressing others didn't enter the equation, none of us would have nerves in front of the camera. We are nervous exactly because we want to show others how well we can perform regardless of level - we want to show improvement. I've been impressed by many a video post here and I have been enormously encouraged by the feedback I have received. Often I don't think what I have done is half as good as others say ... but its not my call, its theirs.

Like Dennis, I'm not interested to dazzle others with my skills, but I don't live in an vacuum and what other's think about how I perform is important to me and I believe that is a very natural and healthy state of affairs. At the same time, I don't define myself through others opinions of me. There's a balance to be struck.

willem

Tue Jun 28, 2011 10:24 am

neverfoundthetime wrote:
With all due respect, I think it is completely natural and healthy to want to impress others as well as yourself. And I believe it is a powerful (albeit, extrinsic) motivating factor. Pride in performance is a desirable factor in my book. How do I know if my performance is good (enough) unless I have feedback reflected back at me from people who are in a position to judge? Admittedly, as I improve I have a better feeling of how good/bad my performance actually is based on previous experience and feedback and I become more centred on my own judgement of how I performed. But in the beginning, I'd have been unable to judge my own performance devoid of outside feedback.

If the matter of impressing others didn't enter the equation, none of us would have nerves in front of the camera. We are nervous exactly because we want to show others how well we can perform regardless of level - we want to show improvement. I've been impressed by many a video post here and I have been enormously encouraged by the feedback I have received. Often I don't think what I have done is half as good as others say ... but its not my call, its theirs.

Like Dennis, I'm not interested to dazzle others with my skills, but I don't live in an vacuum and what other's think about how I perform is important to me and I believe that is a very natural and healthy state of affairs. At the same time, I don't define myself through others opinions of me. There's a balance to be struck.

Nothing wrong with giving a impression of your playing in positive way,,,when for example someone ask me how do you!!! play that song?? then i got to give her an impression...or is this something else..

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic