Note for Note or Wing it?

neverfoundthetime

Tue Jun 28, 2011 1:26 pm

What Ness said! ;-)

skaladar

Tue Jun 28, 2011 2:28 pm

I’d not really given this much thought until now but looking back I realize that I always try to learn a song note for note at the onset. Yes, along the way I often play things a little bit differently than the original artist either because of lack of skill or technique or I just think it sounds a little better when arranged differently for a solo guitarist vs. a band or a multi-part guitar arrangement. However, ultimately it is my goal to play whatever it may be note for note. Once that is done (and it does come, it just may be later than sooner) then I take liberties of adding, changing or re-arranging it to my liking. If I can’t play a piece as the artist intended I don’t consider myself finished with it (if there is such a thing). Ironically most of what I do play is not note for note but it’s not because I can’t. It’s because I choose not to.

♫ Ken ♫

lueders

Tue Jun 28, 2011 2:29 pm

I 'd have to say, depends. (not to be confused with the adult diaper of the same name.)
I guess I am agreeing with Vanessa. The more songs I learn/become familiar with I find that is impractical to play some of them note for note.
Some songs are so much about feel that the more you try to play it exactly note for note, the worse it sounds. Neil Young has several songs like that.
The first few bars of "The Needle & the Damage Done is real good example of that. IMHO. After all, the rhythm is more imperative than missing a note here or there.
I don't believe you can sacrifice overall feel for precision. Most of the time, your problems multiply when you do that. As everyone knows, it it is always a juggling act.
Ideally I would like to play things note for note. And I also agree with what Dennis & Daryl had to say. I don't think there are any absolutes.

millponddave

Tue Jun 28, 2011 6:40 pm

It may be a sign of a better musician to be able to play a piece exactly the way it was written but I'm pretty satisfied if I can simply make it recognizable to whoever is listening. That said, I would like to improve to the point that I can play something the way it was written.

Dave

dekotaj

Tue Jun 28, 2011 11:11 pm

Yes what Ness said!

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic