Note for Note or Wing it?

AndyT

Tue Jun 28, 2011 4:53 am

Most of the songs I play are not note-for-note like the original. I generally don't really care to exactly reproduce a song like the original. I'd rather do it a bit differently and make it my own. Of course, I want it to be recognizable to anyone listening, but unless I'm playing from a piece of sheet music, it's not going to be exact.

What about you? Xerox copies of songs, or do you just go with the flow?

Chasplaya

Tue Jun 28, 2011 5:01 am

Go with the flow mostly, some parts of songs shouldn't be changed though things like the hook main riff, and certain solos.

daryl

Tue Jun 28, 2011 5:51 am

Ideally, I would like to play note-for-note. But I just can't seem to be able to do that. (no matter how hard I try) :(
Everything I play is an approximation.
I think the sign of a GREAT player is to play a cover note-for-note but still make it your own somehow.

willem

Tue Jun 28, 2011 6:26 am

I only strum and when i 'm lucky and think on it i do some hammerings,,pulloffs,,bass walks,,litlle slides,,,and maybe i try Muriels ''vincent'',,well on this moment it is her's

Music Junkie

Tue Jun 28, 2011 8:44 am

Great question Andy. That is something I think about a lot. Typically, when transcribing, I will opt for the Note-For-Note version. When playing though, I often go with the flow. I may add a little something or leave something out (that kind of changes from time to time). There are times when I may play something a bit different because I like the sound of it better that way (though it still leaves the general feel of the song as it should be).

MJ

dennisg

Tue Jun 28, 2011 9:25 am

I think the reason some people don't learn pieces note for note is because they think they can't. So they take shortcuts. I've been guilty of that myself. Now, though, I try to learn a piece exactly the way the original artist played it, then (if I want) adapt it to my own liking. I get a lot of satisfaction out of learning to play something exactly the way the original artist did. I feel a connection to that artist that I don't otherwise feel when I'm cutting corners on a song.

willem

Tue Jun 28, 2011 11:08 am

Now i think what you mean Andy,,,i think it is better to learn a song just like the artist it self,,that's impressive,,the more the better,,no short cuts,,well if you(we) can..

dennisg

Tue Jun 28, 2011 11:27 am

I like to do both...

However, there is a reason that Neil often states in his lessons not to play the song exactly as it is written out in the tab....since the artist of that particular song plays it different each time he plays it as well. Like Gordon Lightfoot, Don McClean, David Crosby, Stephen Stills, Paul Simon and so on....

So often I go with the flow and sometimes I like to play it note for note...depends on the song.....I don't believe that going with the flow is taking 'shortcuts'...

Ness

wrench

Tue Jun 28, 2011 12:54 pm

I pretty much agree with Dennis on this one.

As guitarists, I think we should be capable of playing nearly any piece note for note. And if we can't, well, we are still students. But playing a song exactly like the original holds no allure for me. If I want to hear the original piece, I listen to the original recording. I very much prefer to make every piece I play unique to me. But that's just me. I have absolutely no criticism of folks who prefer to play as close as possible to the originals.

tovo

Tue Jun 28, 2011 1:02 pm

I like to be capable of replicating the original. I think there's quite a difference between improvising because you chose to and playing it differently because you know no better. I confess that the myriad 'instructional' videos floating around on Youtube that reduce beautiful and complex tunes to 3 chords drive me crazy and I dislike that approach.

Conversely, I appreciate Neil's approach on the issue. If you look at a lesson like 'Just Breathe' Neil specifically instructs (or suggests) not to play it exactly like Eddie Vedder but he explains in detail why. He does it from a position of total understanding and to encourage consistency, not ignorance of the original.

By the way, nice to 'see' you Wrench!

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic