Describe your habit

Lavallee

Tue Jul 05, 2011 11:55 am

I am not addicted because I check less than 10 times a day

Marc

suziko

Tue Jul 05, 2011 11:57 am

Well, I'm just glad to see I'm in good company :) My addiction to TG ebbs and wanes depending on what's going on in my life (probably the same for everyone). Last week I was on vacation and checked in, at most, one time per day. If I could have easily checked in on my Android, I probably would have done that, but it's way too much of a hassle so I no longer bother trying (which might be a good thing!). If I'm home and there's not much going on, I probably glance at the forum up to dozens of times per day. I'll check my email, then just refresh the recent discussions page at TG. I usually just stay signed in to TG all day, even if I'm out some of the day.

I agree with Chris that the loss of walls and the "recent activity" sidebar has made it a lot less easy to keep up on the more "personal" side of TG: chatting with friends, checking out new photos that they've uploaded, writing silly things on walls. The loss of that means I probably spend less time on TG than I used to. Again, that may not be a bad thing. My time on TG now is usually devoted to watching lessons, watching and commenting on people's uploaded videos, and periodically taking part in "fun" discussions on the forum.

Like others, I will sometimes check out TG while practicing, but I've found that greatly detracts from the quality of my practice time, so I try now to just do either one or the other. I'll practice for about 30 minutes or so, then take a 5 minute break to check in (and do other things) then get back to my guitar. That works much better for me.

As you can probably sense, there is a part of me that feels guilty of "wasting" time on-line (that is to say- doing anything at TG but watching lessons), but another part of me knows that I get a lot of pleasure and enjoyment from it. I've met some people that I consider good and hopefully lifelong friends, and I get the kind of support for my playing that I need, plus I have the chance to support others in their playing.

Suzi

Music Junkie

Tue Jul 05, 2011 12:02 pm

Tony:

I am an early bird myself. I usually get to the office about 5:30am and check in to see what has happened over night (over night for me anyway.. :) ).

I leave my browser open all day because I use it for work as well. I check in at least every couple of hours (sometimes more). Weekends are less frequent, especially since summer is here and I am always doing something with my boys. The evenings I usually don't check in too much, but since I have been using my laptop during practice sessions lately, it has been more often. I am trying to learn the new recording/mixing program I have and I am spending much more time on the laptop during practice. Fun and frustrating... ;)

Signed,

MJ (official TG addict)

skaladar

Tue Jul 05, 2011 4:16 pm

What habit?
I am not addicted to TG!
I can quit anytime I want!
I swear I can! I swear it!

Kidding aside, I have a very healthy addiction to TG. I am also an early bird who starts work (from home) by logging on to my computers at work around 4:00AM. I saunter into the office an hour or two later and spend the majority of the day in front of multiple computers and monitors with more browser windows open than I care to count. Invariably one of them is always logged onto TG. I guess that classifies me as a lurker, at least during the day, because I get to read most new posts even if I don’t always get a chance to reply immediately. Once I get back home I log in again to check out any new lessons, uploaded videos, interesting topics (bah, who’s kiddin who?) all topics and all the other fun stuff there is to do here. However, I do try to keep that to a minimum because if I have the time to put my guitar in my hands, by golly, I am gonna do just that. I try to get at least an hour or two of practice/playing in each day and unless I need to refer to a lesson I try not to let my online experience with TG interfere with that. At least that’s the game plan. Sometimes I just get lost in some of the longer theory lessons or fly on the wall segments but at least it is all contributing to my overall knowledge and understanding of what I am doing when playing … and with that said … I’m off wear out some strings and break a pick (pardon, plectrum) or two :-)

♫ Ken ♫

BigBear

Tue Jul 05, 2011 5:04 pm

Hahaha, you're hilarious!!! :laugh: :laugh:

skaladar wrote:

I’m off wear out some strings and break a pick (pardon, plectrum) or two :-)

♫ Ken ♫

sbutler

Tue Jul 05, 2011 6:05 pm

Yep, I fit the addicted profile. The girls and I were in SouthEast Alaska all of last week for a little family getaway, and I was at the Sitka Library 3 times, checking the forum. Of course, I didn't have any speakers, so I couldn't hear anything. But at least I lurked around a bit.

I usually get up at 1 am for an early morning departure to Western Alaska. The first thing I do is to check the company webmail to make sure nothing changed overnight. Then I check the weather at my destination, just to make sure I can get were I'm going, then I take a look at TG. When I get home from work, I ususally check out the newest lesson first, then any uploads anyone made that day, then its on to practice. But I still touch base several times before I go to bed, just to make sure I didn't miss anything.

Scott

millponddave

Tue Jul 05, 2011 6:44 pm

They say that the first step in recovery is admitting that you have a problem. If TG is an addiction, then I don't want to be cured! I'll happily spend the rest of my life with a music monkey on my back.

Dave

haoli25

Tue Jul 05, 2011 10:55 pm

My name is Bill, and I am a string-o-holic. It has been one hour since I was last 'strung-out'....I think it was Drop-D....I like the hard stuff it seems...... :laugh: :silly: :laugh:

What has Neil and Matt wrought on us? B) TG is an addiction, a good addiction, but still an addiction. Like other have said, my best TG time for me is at work. I just close my office door and catch up with whats new on the site. When I am on the road working, I still endure incredibly sloooooow internet connections in hotels to feed the addiction. I once spent an hour trying to watch Neil's 8-minute weekly news wrap-up. :) I still enjoy the new lessons and the comments in the Forum. There is always something in there to make my day.

Recently, I have re-discovered the TARGET Program. I thought I knew what was in there, I was wrong. There are so many lessons in there that I meant to get to and didn't and many, many songs that had slipped into the program under my radar. I usually just go to the TARGET lesson I am interested in at the moment. If you have not done so in awhile, it's nice to browse the aisles of TARGET every now and then just to keep up.

Bill

willem

Tue Jul 05, 2011 11:21 pm

nesh16041972 wrote:
Hahaha, you're hilarious!!! :laugh: :laugh:

skaladar wrote:

I’m off wear out some strings and break a pick (pardon, plectrum) or two :-)

♫ Ken ♫

ahahahah yes..

Chasplaya

Wed Jul 06, 2011 3:14 am

neverfoundthetime wrote:
My working day starts later than most people's so .
Its the age thing we understand really we do...

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic