Playing jazz with only two fingers . . . . . .

Hydroman52

Wed Jul 06, 2011 8:36 am

This wasn’t exactly what Willem was looking for in his thread “Who did play the bleus with one finger???” (didn’t want to hijack it – figured I’d post separately), but it does qualify for amazing music without the use of all digits. Of course, it’s Django Reinhardt. I’ve always listened to and enjoyed his music, but never really watched him play. Until recently, I never knew that he played his solos with only two fingers on his left (fretting) hand (I’ve lived a very sheltered life). This was due to an injury from a fire when he was only 18 years old. He was still able to use the other two fingers while playing chords during the “slower” parts of the songs, but the really fast and intricate stuff was only played with the index and middle fingers.

If you really love to play the guitar, you owe it to yourself to know a little bit about this guy. Many of you probably already know all the subtle nuances of his playing and life, but, for those who don’t, here is a short video of him tearing it up:

Here is a short clip of someone who knows more about music than I ever will commenting on Django:

For those who are interested in more and have the time, here is the first in the series of a brief history of his life (you can easily find the rest of the videos yourself):

Here is the first in another series:

So there you have it. A shortcut to learning a little bit about this legend that influenced many other legends.

Hydroman52

willem

Wed Jul 06, 2011 10:56 am

ThANKS hYDRO,,I knew a baut his finger and that he made great music with the other two,its certainly worth to know something from the man...i also alway's liked the Django acoustic guitar,

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic