The wonderful world of ukuleles, many decisions; no worries help is here thanks to Hal and Neil

michelew

Fri Jul 08, 2011 4:48 am

Thanks Chas. I'll definitely strum and pick them. But the Jack Tenor is triple the median price of the shop's tenor ukuleles.

I reckon I should become a pretty flashy player before going crazy. If they have cheaper suitable models I'll check them out too. I'd love to try the bunya body actually.

Still I won't be coming home with that one no matter how gorgeous it is and no matter how well it sweet-talks me. I guess I'll just have to visit if I fall in love.

No commission yeh??? Just how did you manage to score a bigger house? And don't say blood, sweat snd tears. No commission indeed.

jimcjimc

Fri Jul 08, 2011 1:15 pm

Hi Michele,
I got a Lanakai S-T tenor about a year ago (about $175 US, made in China), as I didn't want to spend a lot of money on a ukulele as I didn't know how much I would play it. It's fun, but I don't play/practice it that much as I would rather spend my time playing/practicing guitar.

You might try to find some local ukulele groups/classes. I am currently doing classes & workshops with an organization in the SF Bay Area http://www.kapalakiko.org/

What I find is that playing an ukulele by myself in my room gets boring and doesn't sound so great, but playing ukulele & singing (in Hawaiian) with 30-40 others is a lot of fun!

I have looked at Hal's first set of videos on the site and they look pretty promising. Now I will look into whether I can get the low G string on mine or whether it's time to spend more and get another.

jim

michelew

Sat Jul 09, 2011 2:59 am

Thanks for the advice Jim.

Well I just purchased a Kala tenor ukulele KA-ST, solid spruce top and mahogany body. Here are the specs and a photo if anyone wants more info.

http://www.kalaukulele.com/detail.asp?product_id=KA-ST

It's a sweet sounding little thing. And while I tried a heap of more expensive ones, none of them sounded significantly better given all of them were at least an additional 80% more in price. Obviously, like Jim, I also have no idea how much I'll play this little uke, but it will be fun giving it a burl. It doesn't have a wide neck. The wider neck models started at double the price. I can wait. If I really get into the ukulele then I'll look for that feature in any upgrade I consider.

I've got a low G string (the bridge hole looks big enough), a soft case and a strap that goes underneath like a sax strap ( it's a little unstable but I'm sure it will be fine). So I'm all set to do some learning and playing.

I'm going to a ukulele performance and workshop on Monday night so I won't be changing out the high G string to a low G string (which both sound very uncomfortable ;) ) just yet.

SO cute!!

Hi, ho, hi, ho, it's off to play I go. Woo Hoo!

Off to strum.

M.

willem

Sat Jul 09, 2011 3:16 am

michelew wrote:
Thanks for the advice Jim.

Well I just purchased a Kala tenor ukulele KA-ST, solid spruce top and mahogany body. Here are the specs and a photo if anyone wants more info.

http://www.kalaukulele.com/detail.asp?product_id=KA-ST

It's a sweet sounding little thing. And while I tried a heap of more expensive ones, none of them sounded significantly better given all of them were at least an additional 80% more in price. Obviously, like Jim, I also have no idea how much I'll play this little uke, but it will be fun giving it a burl. It doesn't have a wide neck. The wider neck models started at double the price. I can wait. If I really get into the ukulele then I'll look for that feature in any upgrade I consider.

I've got a low G string (the bridge hole looks big enough), a soft case and a strap that goes underneath like a sax strap ( it's a little unstable but I'm sure it will be fine). So I'm all set to do some learning and playing.

I'm going to a ukulele performance and workshop on Monday night so I won't be changing out the high G string to a low G string (which both sound very uncomfortable ;) ) just yet.

SO cute!!

Hi, ho, hi, ho, it's off to play I go. Woo Hoo!

Off to strum.

M.

Hi Michel,,the woods would do it i geuss,,,it would be nice to offer us some of your experience in progressing: in litlle bits,,short video's???

I geuss the weekend is flying by for you,,,

michelew

Sat Jul 09, 2011 3:31 am

Willem,

I'm currently learning 'Pearly Shells', inspired by Suzi's gorgeous performance.

So cute!!!

I'll post something soon. :)

I'm happy to keep you posted.

I'm loving it so far.

M.

Chasplaya

Sat Jul 09, 2011 5:26 am

Was gonna say nice Axe, but its too small to be an Axe so maybe Nice A.

Looks really nice, If this distracts you as much as my Mandolin has your guitars gonna get jealous

michelew

Sat Jul 09, 2011 6:05 am

You show see it against my guitars....it's weeeeee - so CUTE!

tovo

Sat Jul 09, 2011 7:06 am

Congrats Shel. Hope you have a ball with this new instrument. So far the "U-Bug" hasn't got me...but I have a very weak immune system for anything made of wood and steel so never say never.

Enjoy!

willem

Sat Jul 09, 2011 7:33 am

Aaaah, good for you Shel, congratulations! :cheer:

Indeed, have fun with it and keep us posted! ;)

V.

michelew

Sat Jul 09, 2011 7:48 am

Tony - thanks mate. Be careful. You never know when GAS might hit.

Nessa - thanks. Will do. Okay, dokaly. :). Havin' fun already.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic