The wonderful world of ukuleles, many decisions; no worries help is here thanks to Hal and Neil

michelew

Thu Jul 07, 2011 5:25 am

Well I've been wanting to start learning how to play a ukulele for a while. First there were a couple of ukulele songs added, then Suzi posted her gorgeous 'Pearly Shells' and then the final barrier was dissolved with TG releasing the Ukulele workshop and all the lovely songs that have followed. I haven't actually watched the workshop yet, so I'd love to know if the answers to my questions lie in their.

Anyway, there is likely to be a ukulele in my near future, so I've started looking at options.

Well there are so many choices to make:

- soprano, concert, tenor, baritone - I'm thinking tenor or concert for the greater volume and richness (as I understand it)
- 4 strings, 6 string (double courses on 1st and 3rd strings), 8 strings (4 double courses)
- koa, mahogany, spruce, other hard woods.

Well I'm sure there are other things to consider, but the above are enough already.

So does anyone have any advice about what to go for?

I'm currently thinking tenor, 4 string, koa (if it's not too expensive). Obviously, I'll be going for how they sound compared to the price. I'm likely to go for a mid-range price. My favourite guitar store has the biggest range of ukuleles in Sydney (well they reckon even Australia), and I'm probably going to check them out on Saturday.

So thoughts?

What should I know? What do you suggest I look for? What should I avoid?

Thanks

Michele

willem

Thu Jul 07, 2011 5:55 am

michelew wrote:
Well I've been wanting to start learning how to play a ukulele for a while. First there were a couple of ukulele songs added, then Suzi posted her gorgeous 'Pearly Shells' and then the final barrier was dissolved with TG releasing the Ukulele workshop and all the lovely songs that have followed. I haven't actually watched the workshop yet, so I'd love to know if the answers to my questions lie in their.

Anyway, there is likely to be a ukulele in my near future, so I've started looking at options.

Well there are so many choices to make:

- soprano, concert, tenor, baritone - I'm thinking tenor or concert for the greater volume and richness (as I understand it)
- 4 strings, 6 string (double courses on 1st and 3rd strings), 8 strings (4 double courses)
- koa, mahogany, spruce, other hard woods.

Well I'm sure there are other things to consider, but the above are enough already.

So does anyone have any advice about what to go for?

I'm currently thinking tenor, 4 string, koa (if it's not too expensive). Obviously, I'll be going for how they sound compared to the price. I'm likely to go for a mid-range price. My favourite guitar store has the biggest range of ukuleles in Sydney (well they reckon even Australia), and I'm probably going to check them out on Saturday.

So thoughts?

What should I know? What do you suggest I look for? What should I avoid?

Thanks

Michele

Maybe the link is something for some knowledge,,

http://www.meleukulele.com/

TGNeil

Thu Jul 07, 2011 7:02 am

Michele,

Hal recommends a tenor and to use the Low G Tuning. This is where the strings are tuned similar to the guitar with the 4th string being the lowest pitch. Many times the 4th string is tuned an octave higher, making the 3rd string the lowest. I think your first should be a 4-string and when you have a lot of songs down (and more experience) consider some of the expanded models.

Neil

michelew

Thu Jul 07, 2011 7:26 am

Thanks so much Neil.

A great new adventure you've set us all on. And it's a great fun way to learn that section of the guitar fret board.

It's such a sweet sounding instrument.

Thanks.

Michele

AndyT

Thu Jul 07, 2011 9:07 am

Michelle,
What brands (makers) do you have available to you?

michelew

Thu Jul 07, 2011 4:25 pm

Andy,

- Mahalo
- aNueNue
- Kala
- Laniki
- And some really pricey ones made by local Luthiers (including Cole Clarke)

These are the tenors on the Guitar Factor's website. There are probably some cheaper ones too.

There are others of course that I can get at other shops and through eBay or on-line. But, the Guitar Factory will be my first real port of call. That's where I got my classical, which I've been very happy with. I will be surprised if I don't leave the shop with one. I ogle the ukuleles whenever I go to the shop. And I'll probably salivate over the Taylors while I'm there too.

We're going to the zoo, the zoo, the zoo, how are you.. Woo Hoo!!

M.

AndyT

Thu Jul 07, 2011 7:11 pm

Kala and Lanikai (you put Laniki, not sure if that was a typo) are both good makers. They are both very common here in the islands. If you can get a solid Koa uke, then that will have the smoothest sound.

michelew

Thu Jul 07, 2011 9:15 pm

andyt wrote:
Kala and Lanikai (you put Laniki, not sure if that was a typo) are both good makers. They are both very common here in the islands. If you can get a solid Koa uke, then that will have the smoothest sound.
Thanks Andy. Good to know. And yes it was a typo.

michelew

Fri Jul 08, 2011 2:46 am

I just watched Hal Kinnaman's 1st work shop video. It was very helpful for answering my questions. Yes, I hear you why didn't I do that before posting this thread. Good question. Well I guess I didn't want to tease myself before I got myself a ukulele.

Anyway, for those of you that are also considering getting a ukulele here's what I've learned. When looking for one to buy consider the following:

- getting a tenor uke - unless you're a very small person or you just want to strum simple chords and sing; the fingerboard is too cramped and you will find it hard to do more than strum;
- you don't need to spend $500 and cheaper ones will do just fine for a while;
- ask the store to replace the G string with a low G; this will allow you to play bass notes with your thumb and melody with the rest of the fingers (for example) rather than needing to use the 3rd string for the bass
- check that the hole in the bridge is big enough to take a low G string (which is thicker of course), if they install it in the shop then it is either fine or they will need to adjust it for you;
- get the widest neck you can - this makes fretting and picking and using classical type techniques easier;
- consider a strap so you don't need to support the neck with your left hand; a strap connected to the body of the uke by strap buttons is best, but get a luthier to do it (note to self), or you can get straps (like sax straps) that go under the uke and strap onto the sound hole (this style could scratch/wear the body thou).

Have fun. Armed with this advice I now feel more confident to go shopping. Woo hoo!

I hope this helps you too.

Michele

Chasplaya

Fri Jul 08, 2011 3:03 am

michelew wrote:
Andy,

- Mahalo
- aNueNue
- Kala
- Laniki
- And some really pricey ones made by local Luthiers (including Cole Clarke)

These are the tenors on the Guitar Factor's website. There are probably some cheaper ones too.

There are others of course that I can get at other shops and through eBay or on-line. But, the Guitar Factory will be my first real port of call. That's where I got my classical, which I've been very happy with. I will be surprised if I don't leave the shop with one. I ogle the ukuleles whenever I go to the shop. And I'll probably salivate over the Taylors while I'm there too.

We're going to the zoo, the zoo, the zoo, how are you.. Woo Hoo!!

M.
Being Mr Cole Clark of the Forum I thought I might jump in her with this and no I'm not on commission although I might just talk to Brad about this

http://www.coleclarkguitars.com/products_ukulele.asp

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic