Do artists have a right to be precious?

tovo

Thu Jul 07, 2011 6:00 pm

I want to describe 2 incidents at concerts, one I witnessed 1st hand and 1 I read about this morning.

The first was at a Church concert (The Church is an Australian band that has been around since Moses played football for Jerusalem). Steve Kilby the frontman stopped the set and got stuck into a woman for having a loud conversation during the song they were playing at the time.

The second is Eddie Vedder who again, stopped the set and asked a guy who was texting if his message was REALLY important.

Hey, I love Eddie Vedder. These are just examples.

Do you guys think it is cool for an artist to get stuck into people in the audience under these or similar circumstances?

neverfoundthetime

Thu Jul 07, 2011 6:10 pm

I witnessed the same thing at a concert some years back by... I think, Vaya Con Dios and the lead singer (Dani Klein) tore a strip of a women in the audience and told her she'd been getting on her nerves all night. I thought it was quite a feat to pick out the actions one person in about 9'000 in the dark! I just thought she was a silly cow to make such a derogatory comment to fan like that.

sbutler

Thu Jul 07, 2011 6:32 pm

tovo wrote:
I want to describe 2 incidents at concerts, one I witnessed 1st hand and 1 I read about this morning.

The first was at a Church concert (The Church is an Australian band that has been around since Moses played football for Jerusalem). Steve Kilby the frontman stopped the set and got stuck into a woman for having a loud conversation during the song they were playing at the time.

The second is Eddie Vedder who again, stopped the set and asked a guy who was texting if his message was REALLY important.

Hey, I love Eddie Vedder. These are just examples.

Do you guys think it is cool for an artist to get stuck into people in the audience under these or similar circumstances?

Tony, the minute the artist (or asshole) starts paying the audience, then they may have the right to say something. But as long as he's working for me, he damn sure better work and keep his mouth shut.

So If you don't want the sugar coated version, I'll send you a private mail.

tovo

Thu Jul 07, 2011 7:10 pm

sbutler wrote:

So If you don't want the sugar coated version, I'll send you a private mail.
Happy for a PM Scott but I get your point. Hoping others have a view also.

sbutler

Thu Jul 07, 2011 7:48 pm

Tony, do you ever hit the send button, then wish you hadn't done it. Well I regret using the "a" word on this site, and I want to appologize if I have offended anyone watching.

So I sure wish I hadn't done it, and that makes and even 3 mistakes that I've ever made. well, hmmmm maybe a couple more than 3 .

Scott

lueders

Thu Jul 07, 2011 8:26 pm

Tony, first off...thanks for the information about Eddie Mueller, alias (Eddie V.) I was the biggest Pearl Jam & Nirvana fan you ever wanted to meet back in high school. But no longer, this settles it. I was proud of Pearl Jam and their much publicized crusade against TicketMaster for the outlet's price gouging on tickets.
P.J. did this on behalf of their fans, supposedly. Now here he is giving one of these very fans a hard time for texting . Are you kidding me? Eddie, he paid his money, leave 'em alone. It is a stinking concert! You're not lecturing at Oxford, Dude! That is megalomanic, delusional, pompous, self-importance at it's worst.
(Sorry to be slightly redundant, there)

In a way, I guess it really wasn't that surprising of Vedder, though he has been known to go on VERY lengthy diatribes (at concerts) about whatever seems to be annoying him at the time....acid rain, the hole in the ozone, or too many pickles on his Big Mac. (He once said that he would leave the U.S. if Bush was elected. Guess what? He never left.) I didn't vote for Bush... and I agree with a lot of Eddie's politics. But I am so tired of these celebrities using their fame as a bully-pulpit to spew whatever knee-jerk, misguided non-sense they feel at that second...

Yeah, after my rant, You probably guessed my opinion about musicians acting like this. Musicians already have arguably the best job in the world and you're gonna
act like that. (They won't get my $15-20 for a CD or I-tune download...I promise you that.

Then you think about scores of unknown bands & individuals playing in dive, neighborhood bars and backstreet coffee shops... that put up with FAR worse from the audience and they still manage to be professionals. I guess there are just some musicians that think they are more special than they really are.

tovo

Thu Jul 07, 2011 8:35 pm

Hey Scott no problem for me man and I would hope that people see you as I do; a guy who wouldn't set out to offend anyone.

Cori a lot of good points there, as I said I used Eddie as an example but I don't have any hate on him. What I really want is people's views on artists berating their audience. At what point does that become OK if ever?

Music Junkie

Thu Jul 07, 2011 10:18 pm

Tony:

Just a few months ago at the Jackson Browne concert, he got after a lady sitting in the front row for taking picture after picture with the flash on. The whole crowd cheered because it was rather irritating to see the flash over and over. I was glad he said something as well, and it was more funny than mean I guess. Something that is interrupting the concert if fine as far as I am concerned. Texting would hardly count as an interruption if it was done quietly. Also, I would hope that the artist was tactful in this. When they get indignant it gets rather ridiculous. Some of them are true babies while throwing their little tantrums... :laugh:

MJ

[EDIT]

With the above, I still think they have the "right" to do what they want. Then we, as the buyer, can choose to take our money elsewhere if we don't like it. I have certainly done that with artists before... B)

Music Junkie

Thu Jul 07, 2011 10:54 pm

I should not post while drinking.

lueders

Thu Jul 07, 2011 10:57 pm

tovo wrote:
Hey Scott no problem for me man and I would hope that people see you as I do; a guy who wouldn't set out to offend anyone.

Cori a lot of good points there, as I said I used Eddie as an example but I don't have any hate on him. What I really want is people's views on artists berating their audience. At what point does that become OK if ever?
Tony I don't hate Eddie. I just get REALLY turned off by arrogance. Really gets me fired up!

To sum up...I believe Eddie was out of line. And, J.B. in Jason's example was not berating anyone. He stopped audience member from doing something that was TRULY distracting. Asking her to quit was to the benefit of the many and frankly, the right thing to do. I'm sure the flash was blinding to him as he tried to perform, as well. But, with Eddie's deal... a guy texting doesn't bother anyone. And, who knows it might have been a life or death text. That is not Eddie's call. (How insecure must Ed be?) The whole thing boils down to common sense...which should be judged on a situation by situation basis.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic