Do artists have a right to be precious?

tovo

Thu Jul 07, 2011 11:05 pm

Hey Cori that's cool mate. I think the most likely scenario is that the guy was texting friends to say how great it was to be at an Eddie Vedder show (It was an acoustic set). I guess Eddie was thinking "hey...enjoy the show and text later" which I sort of agree with, but in the end I agree with you and Scott...he should have left the guy alone. It's not like his phone was ringing or anything.

Chasplaya

Fri Jul 08, 2011 12:26 am

It all depends on the nature of the interruption; if its something putting off the artist i.e. flashing cameras then yup he /she has the right, if its distracting the rest of the audience yup they have the right. If its purely because they don't like it and their ego is getting bruised cos someone is doing something other than watch/listen then they have a problem plus are they correct in their assessment of the situation is the person texting talking whatever helping or hindering the concert.

The best person I've ever seen at dealing with distractions has to be Billy Connolly, I've seen him several times now and he has the knack for dealing with distractions hecklers you name it, best one I ever saw was at one of his very early concerts in a smaller venue and this guy got up in the middle of a joke and stumbled past the other seated audience and walked up the aisle out of the theatre, Billy just stopped and stared and said out loud 'I saw you in the bar before so I KNOW WHERE YOU'RE GOING!! It didn't end there though cos it appears Billy was right 5 minutes later the gent returned walking boldly down the aisle and Billy Stopped again and ...silence! and pointed at him and said 'WE KNOW WHERE YOU'VE BEEN!! and I'm right cos you still have wet splashes on your shoes!! At which point the audience erupted, maybe you had to be there.

BigBear

Fri Jul 08, 2011 2:19 am

Tony- any artist who pulls that kind of crap should be pulled out into the village square and drawn and quartered. I don't care how rude or obnoxious the fans get. They paid to be there and there's always security to take care of it. Absolutely inexcusable.

There are exceptions. When the crowd is rowdy and song is quiet or delicate the performer should have the right to ask the crowd to mellow out while they play. I think David Crosby or Graham Nash famously asked the crowd to quiet down at Woodstock telling them "it's a wooden song..." or something similar. But to single one person out is over-the-top. Just have security handle it. :angry:

p.s. I was just playing a Church song tonight. Didn't know they were a..holes! Ruined my whole image! LOL!

AndyT

Fri Jul 08, 2011 3:36 am

Yep, I was at that concert and Bear is still in court over that. LOL

Have to go with Chas on this. Except for the Billy Connolly bit...

willem

Fri Jul 08, 2011 4:11 am

I only want to hear the songs,,what they do in the breaks its there concern,,,some times they do everything to get in the media...

Why do you think the artist have ear cups these day..

haoli25

Fri Jul 08, 2011 5:13 am

Everyone has daily distractions at work or at home. It's a part of life it seems. Playing music is no exception to the rules. A wise man named Neil Hogan once said that when something unexpected happens (wrong note, bonus note, etc.), just keep on going! Excellent advice.
There have been many uploaded videos here at TG where something unexpected has happened during the performance. I have yet to see a TG member stop and scream at the cat, or the dog, or the phone.....

Maybe some of the previously mentioned 'professional' prima donnas should just join the TARGET program to see how its done properly. :P

Bill

NKenny

Fri Jul 08, 2011 7:17 am

I would say as long as it isn't disrupting the listening pleasure of the others in the audience. The artist should not get involved anyway, that is why they have security, I'm sure they would handle it. Lets face it some people who are talented and famous, think they are better than the peasants in the audience. Even if I liked the band, if I thought they were like that they would not get a dime of my money.

Kenny

tovo

Fri Jul 08, 2011 8:22 am

BigBear wrote:

p.s. I was just playing a Church song tonight. Didn't know they were a..holes! Ruined my whole image! LOL!
Hey Rick. I don't know if they are "a-holes" but in my opinion Steve Kilby the front man is a bit precious. The Church have always prided themselves on not selling out to big record labels and I think they do consider themselves to be pretty pure. Steve took shots at several audience members that night and I confess I left before the show had finished as I thought he was being a bit precious.

haoli25

Fri Jul 08, 2011 9:05 am

tovo wrote:
BigBear wrote:

Hey Rick. I don't know if they are "a-holes" but in my opinion Steve Kilby the front man is a bit precious. The Church have always prided themselves on not selling out to big record labels and I think they do consider themselves to be pretty pure. Steve took shots at several audience members that night and I confess I left before the show had finished as I thought he was being a bit precious.

Maybe not an "a-hole", but one of those "attention-whatchamacallits" instead. :laugh: :silly: :laugh:

wrench

Fri Jul 08, 2011 10:40 am

Sorry about the silly post last night folks. Can I blame that one on the Rum? That expression "got stuck into a woman" just cracked me up. Never heard that one before.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic