Are your friends musicians?

tovo

Mon Jul 11, 2011 5:42 pm

My jam buddy is moving to Perth. He may as well be moving to Mars. I have no other players in my (easily accessible) circle of friends, although several of my work colleagues play and we have jammed a couple of times.

Do you guys have friends who play or are you playing alone most of the time?

suziko

Mon Jul 11, 2011 5:48 pm

All my musician buddies are friends I've made online. I play by myself pretty much all the time. I hope to change that at some point in my life, but right now that's just the situation!

Suzi

dennisg

Mon Jul 11, 2011 5:51 pm

I'm in the same boat as Suzi. I play alone exclusively, except for when one of my distant TG friends comes to visit. I'll be meeting another one at the end of August.

heatndude

Mon Jul 11, 2011 6:21 pm

I play alone every morning and lucky enough to have a nephew who comes over once a week to jam with me. Also have about five friends whom are musicians that I jam with every couple of weeks. So a little of both on my end.

neverfoundthetime

Mon Jul 11, 2011 6:54 pm

Sadly, my guitar playing friends are too far away and these days I hardly see them. So it's just me... and sometimes TG pals.
I do have a very good friend who is a music therapist, teacher and composer so I do have someone to play to occasionally and to get feedback from or ask questions of. I mentioned that I actually played on her up-coming CD (Children's songs in Swiss dialect). My daughter, Alessandra, likes to have me play when she's trying to avoid homework or is trying go to get to sleep in another room ;-).

millponddave

Mon Jul 11, 2011 7:09 pm

Even though my son plays guitar, (much better than me) I play by myself almost all of the time. Occasionally he will play with me but not to often. After all he is sixteen so why would he want to spend much time with his Dad when his friends are much cooler. We did get together with his teacher who teaches group lessons to the kids in the area this weekend to jam a little. I am hoping that we will do that more often because it sure was fun. I think that the best way to improve is to play with others.

Dave

pigors

Mon Jul 11, 2011 7:35 pm

Hmmm.....I guess I've been very lucky regarding that as well...

Most of my life I've been able to play with others who were also my friends. In elimentary school, highschool, early adultlife....and still (nooooo I'm not old of course, haha! :P) ...but as life goes on and since my friends and myself are busy all the time it makes it harder to get together to play regularly. Still when we do hang out, there is always playing music together as well, that's really nice!

However, in my adultlife there has been one thing wich was sometimes dissapointing to me, and that is that most of my friends play the guitar, and only the guitar, just a few who play more than one instrument (with those few I was really lucky). Or they only play the drums, or whatever, so that leaves me with.....well with what's left, since I play (yes fortunately) other instruments as well...still my greatest love is the guitar...but often there are already enough guitarplayers.... :(

Anyway, a friend of mine is getting married in october, so she asked me and my other musician friends to perform at her wedding, so I guess we réally need to get together for that one, that is if we don't wanna fall flat on our faces! ;).....still, what's left this time is the bassguitar... :S..don't get me wrong, a great and very important instrument in a band, but not my greatest love......oh well..

Still, am very lucky with having musician friends around me! :)

Ness

daryl

Mon Jul 11, 2011 7:47 pm

I don't have any friends. :-(
And only a couple virtual friends at TG :-(
But I have some unknowing friends (Julia Nunes, Amy Walker (hi Tony ;-)) Natalie Hawkins, Sally Greenwood, et. al )

BobR

Mon Jul 11, 2011 7:57 pm

I try to get together with a friend on Friday nights. Mostly it's electric but I've brought the acoustic along also a few times and he is starting to like it. Unfortunately we don't do many Fridays during the summer when he's off to Maine for weekends :(

Bob

sbutler

Mon Jul 11, 2011 8:18 pm

neverfoundthetime wrote:
Sadly, my guitar playing friends are too far away and these days I hardly see them. So it's just me... and sometimes TG pals.
I do have a very good friend who is a music therapist, teacher and composer so I do have someone to play to occasionally and to get feedback from or ask questions of. I mentioned that I actually played on her up-coming CD (Children's songs in Swiss dialect). My daughter, Alessandra, likes to have me play when she's trying to avoid homework or is trying go to get to sleep in another room ;-).
When are we going to see/hear Alessandra singing again? I miss that voice.

And sadly, I don't have anyone to play with either. Except for my pals on Youtube. You may not know this, but I actually back up Clapton on a few songs, I've worked with Nicks and Buckingham on the accoustic version of Landslide. I've even played back up to that fantastic artist, Vanessa. I have a hard time keeping up when she is playing "If you could read my mind" and she has never complained about my lack of skills, so I keep playing the video, and try to keep up.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic