Are your friends musicians?

BigBear

Tue Jul 12, 2011 12:47 am

Tony- I have very few musicians friends close by. That's why it's such a treat when Jerry (Songman56) or others stop by. I've even thought about posting an ad for jamming partners. Playing by yourself is okay but it doesn't help your timing any. :cheer:

Chasplaya

Tue Jul 12, 2011 2:18 am

Sadly I play alone mostly these days the band and group of players from work have moved on as happens with an organisation like Police. However, when I move to Auckland my Wife's boss, also a very good friend, is a great vocalist and half decent guitarist, in the same office apparently they have a drummer and a Bass player so who knows what's 'on the horizon' hey that sounds like a good name for an album!

michelew

Tue Jul 12, 2011 4:27 am

tovo wrote:
My jam buddy is moving to Perth. He may as well be moving to Mars. I have no other players in my (easily accessible) circle of friends, although several of my work colleagues play and we have jammed a couple of times.

Do you guys have friends who play or are you playing alone most of the time?
Mate... I know I'm a bloody genius...but isn't the solution obvious?

You just have to move the family to Sydney. Yes?? :)

Works for me.

Shel

willem

Tue Jul 12, 2011 6:24 am

Yes i have,,everything started with the choir i am in,,if you think at a choir that is all abaut 'hallelujah'' you have really to listen to the other members musicaly wise,well atleast to the part were they put you in(tenor.. its more bariton),,in the choir you meet people and you come aware that they also play instruments and there started for me playing guitar with someone and later on some singers join the group and we have ones a month a evening or night were we play and sing some songs,with guitar playing i am most of the time the underdog but some times i throw in a song were they trust me and added it to the repetoir.this is so nice to do even when i have to work i say to the boss i can't this evening give me some rodes by daylight,

But what i also like very much is the making of friends here at this site ,i can't tell you how happy i am with meeting Vanessa and Anton and i hope it stands forever,,playing with others that tells you really how you are improved.

Oh and i find it still unbelieveble that this all happend to me..

neverfoundthetime

Tue Jul 12, 2011 8:30 am

Tony- I have very few musicians friends close by. That's why it's such a treat when Jerry (Songman56) or others stop by. I've even thought about posting an ad for jamming partners. Playing by yourself is okay but it doesn't help your timing any.
I'm answering that Ad of yours Rick! Just email me a video of yourself playing any song you like... I'll join in and resend. Let's start with some Moody Blues!

skaladar

Tue Jul 12, 2011 8:32 am

♫ ♪ ♫ ♪ ♫ ♪
I play alone, yeah
With nobody else
I play alone, yeah
With nobody else
You know when I play alone
I prefer to be by myself

Every morning just before breakfast
I don't want no coffee or tea
Just me and good buddy six string
That's all I ever need
'Cause I play alone, yeah
With nobody else
Yeah, you know when I play alone
I prefer to be by myself

The other night I laid sleeping
And I woke from a terrible dream
So I caught up my pal Les Paul
And his partner Tamborine
And we played alone, yeah
With nobody else
I prefer to be by myself

The other day I got invited to a party
But I stayed home instead
Just me and my pal Rickenbacker
And his brothers Telly and Strat
And we played alone, yeah
With nobody else
I prefer to be by myself

My whole family done give up on me
And it makes me feel oh so bad
The only one who will hang out with me
Is my dear Old Gig Bag
And we play alone, yeah
With nobody else
I prefer to be by myself
♪ ♫ ♪ ♫ ♪ ♫

Well, aside from channeling George Thorogood in my free time, sadly these days I DO play alone. I guess it’s in part due to the fact that I went for so many years without playing the guitar, or being musically involved at all, other than as a spectator, that this is so. In my youth you couldn’t swing a dead cat (my apologies to the cat lovers out there, it’s an expression) amongst my friends without hitting all sorts of musicians. Some of them quite good, might I add. Alas that was then and this is now and a whole lotta life got in between the two so for the time being I am doing the alone thing. But hey, I’m not that far from retirement and while I do enjoy golf I see myself getting more involved in music in one capacity or another. Even if that is just to find some jamming buddies.

♫ Ken ♫

haoli25

Tue Jul 12, 2011 8:46 am

I am very lucky in that I have 5 old friends (used to 6) that I play guitar with. After 25 years, we still manage to get together about twice a month. Lots of Scoresby, Jim Beam, Jack Daniels, beer and some great looking guitars. The rules are simple, play what you know, no songbooks or TABs allowed. "Hey, that wasn't too bad" is very high praise, "That really sucked" is an honest assessment. :) Everyone in the group has different musical tastes, so it sometimes takes awhile before we can decide on ONE song to play. As a result I learn a lot of songs I would never attempt on my own. And the pressure is ON to learn a new song...you have to keep up! :laugh:
Sometimes, for whatever reason, the guitar playing is not that good, that's when the guitar session becomes a poker game. I have lost many good guitars in that game over the years. :)

If you don't have some guitar playing buddies in your area, FIND SOME. It is well worth your time and effort. You might work on your bluffing skills in advance though.

Bill

neverfoundthetime

Tue Jul 12, 2011 9:27 am

I have lost many good guitars in that game over the years.
Jeez Bill, some friends! You guys ain't taking prisoners!
If ever I get to Texas, it's just you and me! :-)

haoli25

Tue Jul 12, 2011 9:46 am

Chris, I have also won a couple of nice guitars too. I once won a really nice D28, but I only had it for a about 6 months before I lost it to the previous owner. I think he cheated. :) Never trust a banker in a poker game. :laugh:

dekotaj

Tue Jul 12, 2011 11:01 am

Hey there Tony.How you doing my friend?

I do have one friend who plays.And we do get together once or twice a month.We both played years ago and stopped.And after starting in March about 41/2 years ago I stopped by Mikes and found out that he also started playing again a month later.I taped him playing with me the other day so he could have hes sister hear him play who lives in Colorado U.S..And this is the song we did.

Kevin

Another friend Bill,.Bill and I use to walk home from high school together and when we got to my folks house we would run in and I would yell Love you mom and he would say Hello Mrs ???? and off to the basement we would go and I would play and he would sing and of course would talk about all the pretty girls at school.When Mike and I get together Bill will do vocals on some of our song but must admit that it turns in to a good drunk by the end of the night. :laugh: :laugh:

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic