My face says yes ... I say no ... I say stop ... but it says go go go ... oh no !

cosmicmechanic

Wed Jul 13, 2011 10:42 pm

This thread was inspired by dTaylor's recent upload of him playing the Allman Brother's "Little Martha".
His playing of this complex instrumental seemed very relaxed, and no tension was apparent in his facial expression.

This lead me to mention that I find myself making some odd facial expressions on certain chord changes that involve what seem somewhat unnatural hand positions. I notice that effect very gradually diminishing over time ... I think some chords, or chord changes, may take more than another year to get over, for a total of a couple years to get that them to being that natural.

Now, the question ...

I recently had a nice supper in a restaurant where a male jazz guitarist and a female singer performed.
They were both top-notch artists, but it surprised me that the face of the guitarist was contorting with pretty much every chord change. All of his playing was scary to me, but he played so well that I expected that just the practice behind that would reduce the facial action.

Maybe he's stuck with grimacing exceptionally? Or maybe it's very common to do that, even for very experienced players ?

So I wonder if you sometimes make funny faces while playing ? (Of course singing while playing can hide that).

If so, do you have any tricks (besides Botox) for dealing with the :S FACES :S ?

Pierre

dekotaj

Wed Jul 13, 2011 10:56 pm

Pierre,

Not a lot of face making with hard chords.But I do find myself sometimes getting to enjoying playing and making some pretty odd faces sometimes.I've redone some post because of it.Guess I could avoid that if I could sing.HA HA

Kevin

tovo

Wed Jul 13, 2011 11:57 pm

Hey Pierre. I've been working on my cool blues faces...they are coming along much more quickly than my blues playing. I have never thought too much about "chord faces" but I will in future!

lueders

Thu Jul 14, 2011 12:36 am

Funny topic here, Pierre! (pun intended)

Yes, I make my share of goofy faces. (besides my regular one) My wife laughs & tells me I'm rockin' out harder
than the music. (As, I bob my head and do my other bizarre facial gyrations.)

michelew

Thu Jul 14, 2011 2:59 am

I have a PhD in ridiculous guitar faces, while recording especially. I'm particularly proficient at the grimace.

In real life, I've actually been known to smile occasionally.

Love to kick the grimace habit.

M.

Chasplaya

Thu Jul 14, 2011 3:43 am

If you want Phd in music face go no further than Joe Walsh

Its somewhere between agony and ecstasy

willem

Thu Jul 14, 2011 3:56 am

Pierre,,,how would it be with JAZZ music..

we can ask our great observater DERMOT to filter them all out..

sbutler

Thu Jul 14, 2011 4:17 am

I've been told that I make the funny face, while playing. I know they are right, because I've seen it in every video I've made.

I was told by an instructor to try and relax more. Slump in the chair, drool down my chin, forget good posture, just try to release all tension.

But I find that I'm still getting closer to that PHd thing.

Chasplaya

Thu Jul 14, 2011 4:17 am

willem wrote:

Willem where do you find this stuff that was so cool

willem

Thu Jul 14, 2011 4:29 am

Chasplaya wrote:
willem wrote:

Willem where do you find this stuff that was so cool

I only did a bit searching on guitar faces on the tube,,when you double cilck on the vid you go to the tube,,maybe there is more..

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic