Visible String Sine Waves?

wrench

Sat Jul 16, 2011 8:43 am

neverfoundthetime wrote:
How cool was that?
But what did we just see? Was it necessary for the camera to be inside the guitar looking out... won't it be the same filmed from outside? And why are we seeing the sine wave? SLow mo? Any science buffs with an answer... where's Wrench?
C'mon, where's the hard questions, Chris? Why do some of the waves look like two different strings?

neverfoundthetime

Sat Jul 16, 2011 9:22 am

Ah Dan, I just wanted answers not more questions... I am but a simple Jock!
Well I did notice that it was the lower strings which showed doubling of image not the higher so I guess that has to do with the over-tones being produced and the speed of the camera capture. The higher strings are vibrating too fast to be seen doubled?
Please don't speak to me in sine and cosines (my head hurts) but I do understand tones and overtones. ;-)

wrench

Sat Jul 16, 2011 9:48 am

neverfoundthetime wrote:
Ah Dan, I just wanted answers not more questions... I am but a simple Jock!
Well I did notice that it was the lower strings which showed doubling of image not the higher so I guess that has to do with the over-tones being produced and the speed of the camera capture. The higher strings are vibrating too fast to be seen doubled?
Please don't speak to me in sine and cosines (my head hurts) but I do understand tones and overtones. ;-)
Mostly right, my friend, thereby completely blowing your cover as a simple jock! Note that I said mostly right. The higher strings are vibrating too strong, not too fast, to be seen doubled.

Don't speak in sines and cosines??!! Well, young man, I'll speak to you in the TONE necessary! :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

BTW, Tom, cabro, and Chris are all right. You can duplicate this phenomenon by watching your strings while playing in a darkened room with only the light of a TV screen or a strobe light.

neverfoundthetime

Sat Jul 16, 2011 10:00 am

vibrating too strong
... meaning the wave length is too short to show up?

wrench

Sat Jul 16, 2011 10:18 am

neverfoundthetime wrote:
vibrating too strong
... meaning the wave length is too short to show up?
Not the wavelength, but the amplitude. In the lower strings, the overtones are stronger than tones, so they appear on, or "overpower" the string that produces the fundamental tone. On the higher strings, the overtones have only a small fraction of the power of the fundamental tone, and therefore, insufficient power to mobilize the string. It may be helpful to note here that the overtones on the lower strings are initially powered physically by the string, then multiplied by resonance from the body. The power present in higher strings is minute compared to lower strings because of the smaller mass.

neverfoundthetime

Sat Jul 16, 2011 1:18 pm

Yes, I mean amplitude.
Ok, the high strings tone is much stronger than its overtones ... so the overtones don't show up as they do with the lower strings where the overtones are stronger than the tone. Makes sense. Many thanks Dan, or may I call you Tech-Yoda ;-).

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic