How much is too much?

AndyT

Mon Jul 25, 2011 3:18 am

Do you have a limit on how much guitar playing you can do?
Why?

EDIT:
Any and All string time is included.

willem

Mon Jul 25, 2011 3:41 am

Till i bin be calling...come sit next to me and then i took my best ballad.

neverfoundthetime

Mon Jul 25, 2011 7:52 am

After 3 hours solid on a 12 string, my fingers cannot feel or push down any more so that's just about my limit, as I have found out on two or three occasions.

tombo1230

Mon Jul 25, 2011 8:09 am

I did about five hours once over a day and my fingers were numb and sore. I don't regret it though :)

Tom N.

frybaby

Mon Jul 25, 2011 11:32 am

This thread called to mind a thought I had this weekend, while passing by my guitars on the way to some important task.

For some reason I thought about the threads I’ve seen that inquired about giving names to our guitars.

As I passed by them,(though not without touching or dragging my fingers across the strings-some sort of compulsion I suppose), I thought … VORTEX… Vortex # 1, #2 and #3 would be good names, because of their power to allure and draw me in.

They seem to call out, when ever I see them just sitting there, beckoning to be played.

Not unlike the ancient Sirens, in Homers Odyssey.

In most cases I hearken to the call, even when just passing by, take one up and spend at least a few prized moments.

But to the point….. I have a goal to average 1 hour a day.

I can’t remember the last time I had to suspend my play time due to sore fingers.

Over the years I managed to develop calluses sufficient to carry me thorough most time allotted for playing.

I do however some time get cramps from long periods of playing.

If my fingers tips do get tender, I usually soak my fingertips in alcohol for a few minutes, for aching hand muscles or cramps, I’ll usually drop my hand down to my side and shake vigorously to bet the blood flowing.

I’ll, do some shoulder shrugs or a few other stretched to relive stress and strain, then I’m back it as soon a possible.

Some time a stroll around the back yard will renew the sprit to play.

So I at it for as long as time permits, ort least until I remember I have critical chores to attend to or the wife get home.

I shut down pretty regularly (but not always) to give her my ever undivided attention.

She seems to enjoy that sort of attention.

Well there it is, more that you wanted to know I’m sure.
Frybaby

BigBear

Mon Jul 25, 2011 3:11 pm

Andy- are you asking about playing or practicing or just total time pressing down strings?

The first time Jerry (songman56) was in Portland we played for over 6 hours straight and my fingers were sore but not too bad. Jerry's in a band and I don't think he had any problem.

I have more problem with hand stiffness after my trigger finger surgery.

:cheer:

Music Junkie

Mon Jul 25, 2011 4:03 pm

Well, my limit is usually about an hour or so 5 nights a week. My fingers/hands could handle plenty more, but I have to wait til I get the kids in bed. They usually go down about 8:30 or so and then I can settle in for a bit. Now the hour limit is self imposed cause I am getting old and tired.... ;) I get up around 5 or 5:30 each morning, so I like to get to bed by 9:30 or 10. Kind of a bummer at times, but I'll take what I can get when it comes to playing or practicing. Just need my fix each day... B)

MJ

AndyT

Mon Jul 25, 2011 7:05 pm

Any and all string time is included.

And any reason that drags you away counts.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic