Cambridge Folk Festival - A roving report............

BobR

Sun Jul 31, 2011 9:14 am

Stuart,

I am glad you are having (or had) a great time. What a nice mini vacation. Thanks for all the roving reports. Great stuff.

Bob

thereshopeyet

Sun Jul 31, 2011 9:24 am

Thanks

thereshopeyet

Sun Jul 31, 2011 10:02 am

Thanks

suziko

Sun Jul 31, 2011 10:51 am

Stu,

I'm really enjoying your posts from the Cambridge Folk Festival. I had heard of Richard Thompson, of course, but didn't really know what his music was like. I checked his stuff out on YT, particular his song 1952 Vincent Black Lightning, since Cori had mentioned it, and was blown away. In case others haven't heard it (though maybe i'm the only one), here's a clip. It is, at least according to Wiki, "the most requested song on National Public Radio":

reiver

Sun Jul 31, 2011 1:27 pm

Nathaniel Rateliff on stage Image

reiver

Sun Jul 31, 2011 1:29 pm

Saw Nathaniel Rateliff - he was very good. And VERY popular! He filled the wee club tent.

Then I came back to the tent and had a very interesting meeting! A man and his son were sitting on the grass near the tent - he had a mini Breedlove guitar and his son had a uke. He was teaching the boy some chords. I watched for a while then I got my guitar out and we played through some basic chords with the boy. When we started talking he introduced himself as the Breedlove UK luthier and we swapped guitars for a while. That little Breedlove was a lot of fun to play. As it turns out - he lives quite close to me and told me he's thinking of setting up a playing "club". I told him I'd be interested in such a thing and he gave me his e-mail address. I'll keep you posted on developments.

Next up: Mary Chapin Carpenter

Stuart

suziko

Sun Jul 31, 2011 1:39 pm

I've never heard of Nate Rateliff. Can you tell us some about him?

Suzi

reiver

Sun Jul 31, 2011 1:50 pm

Mary Chapin Carpenter on Stage 1 Image

dennisg

Sun Jul 31, 2011 3:40 pm

suziko wrote:
Stu,

I'm really enjoying your posts from the Cambridge Folk Festival. I had heard of Richard Thompson, of course, but didn't really know what his music was like. I checked his stuff out on YT, particular his song 1952 Vincent Black Lightning, since Cori had mentioned it, and was blown away. In case others haven't heard it (though maybe i'm the only one), here's a clip. It is, at least according to Wiki, "the most requested song on National Public Radio":

I'm sorry to say that I've only recently become a fan of Richard Thompson, and I missed the entire Fairport Convention phenomenon in the late '60s and early '70s. Jamie and I saw him in concert in Seattle last year, and he was terrific.

reiver

Sun Jul 31, 2011 6:11 pm

And so, the Cambridge Folk Festival draws to an end for another year. And all the booze is finished!

Tomorrow morning everything will be thrown into the back of the car and I'll return to civilisation. And to my razor. I'll try to stick up some video that I shot during the weekend to give you something of the flavour of what went on.

Thank you for reading and your comments - it's been fun.

Over and out.........

Stuart

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic