Cambridge Folk Festival - A roving report............

suziko

Fri Jul 29, 2011 11:32 am

What kind of guitar is JTE playing? How was he? He's far less hirsute than his dad!

Suzi

reiver

Fri Jul 29, 2011 1:22 pm

Lavallee wrote:
This is great Stuart, definitely a live report (using your Iphone?)

Marc
Marc! You'll spoil the magic. Let's call it a combination of technology and divine intervention............but yeah, pretty much! (although I'm not an Apple person!)

Suzi - they both played Gibson's of sorts. Not sure exactly what JTE was playing - something with a small-ish body. His side kick looked to have a natural finish J-45.

I am about to head out for the evening - refreshments have been taken and the music beckons. I may even try food. I know, solids are for sissies............I should reconsider. (that probably doesn't translate into ANY language).

I got a bit of a fright this afternoon when ANOTHER banjo player walked past the tent. I was worried that he may have been from the banjo player's union and chiosen to pick up the challenge - but I avoided eye contact and he kept on walking. Another bullet dodged.

wrt Pentangle - I read in the program that a national newspaper over here (not controlled by Rupert Murdoch....relax!) reported "forget Cream or Led Zeppelin, this is the biggie. Pentangle is reforming". Discuss. [20 marks]

Until next time............

Stuart

reiver

Fri Jul 29, 2011 1:25 pm

nesh16041972 wrote:
Haha, well you can really write down a report Stuart!

Much fun to read, really envious that I can't be there as well, looking forward to the rest of the report, have fun!

Ness

Hello Ness! Nearly missed you there. Happy you could join us :) Glad you're enjoying.......

Stuart

dennisg

Fri Jul 29, 2011 1:26 pm

Skiffle is what the Brits call rockabilly. The Beatles (when they were known as The Quarrymen) were a skiffle band.

Stu, I'm loving your reports on HippieFest '11. Keep 'em coming.

abiliog

Fri Jul 29, 2011 2:34 pm

reiver wrote:
I got a bit of a fright this afternoon when ANOTHER banjo player walked past the tent. I was worried that he may have been from the banjo player's union and chiosen to pick up the challenge - but I avoided eye contact and he kept on walking. Another bullet dodged.
Stuart
Stuart,
I think you are in big danger, you must show them how to play guitar or just buy a banjo as soon as possible.
It seems they are all over the place and they want confrontation.
You know people's wisdom, "If you can't win them join them",
Keep safe,
Abilio

tovo

Fri Jul 29, 2011 3:18 pm

Hey Stuart. I sat and read the 30 odd posts as I was late to this festival, you didn't lose me even then. I have been struck by the neatness of your campsite and the campground overall. I love the lines on the ground to mark the traffic areas from the sleeping areas. Seems a worthwhile thing to do!

Your mantra about food does translate in my language. Here we say "eating is cheating". See...we even know how to rhyme.

Great report, real interesting and look forward to further updates.

Chasplaya

Fri Jul 29, 2011 3:55 pm

20 yards to the beer tent What were the organisers thinking!! I'd complain If I were you Stuart. This is a great read mate keep it coming. Are Fairport playing?

Lavallee

Fri Jul 29, 2011 4:51 pm

Hey Stuart, if the banjo guy comes back, let him play a bit then then over-drink him big time, he will know who is the boss :woohoo:

Marc

dsmarion

Fri Jul 29, 2011 5:03 pm

Stuart,

I am greatly enjoying your reports - please keep them coming! I will be interested to know how you like Robert Cray, I would I think, never seen him.

Scott

reiver

Fri Jul 29, 2011 6:26 pm

Good evening friends, as day 2 draws to an end. It was nice to hear from some new faces. It is gratifying to know that so many of you are enjoying the reports.

Dennis - yes, Hippie Fest indeed - we are what we are. Thank you for clarifying the skiffle thing.

Abilio - I'm pretty sure that the guitarists can take the banjo players if it all kicks off. Though it may depend on whose side the fiddlers take.

Tony - don't worry about being late. Pull up a chair and grab yourself a beer.

Chas - thank you for your sympathy! No Fairport this year.

My plans went slightly out of the window - or tent flap - this evening. I skipped Robert Cray and caught a Louisiana cajun band called Feufollet - a move I do NOT regret. They were really great. Newton Faulkener was very good too - but finished with a solo acoustic version of Bohemian Rhapsody which felt a little gimmicky.

And now I return to my tent for a night cap - or maybe 2. Just to keep the chill off!

Stay well and rest easy, friends. Tomorrow is a big day.

Stuart

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic