Cambridge Folk Festival - A roving report............

reiver

Sat Jul 30, 2011 3:51 pm

Pentangle on stage Image

reiver

Sat Jul 30, 2011 7:16 pm

Good evening, TG friends, from a chilly Cambridge. As I write I can hear Raul Malo in the distance threatening to "dance the night away......." Frankly, I don't think he's in shape for that kind of endeavour.
Tonight has been a mixed bag - Richard Thompson was absolutely incredible and I'd recommend trawling YT for some of his live performances. I'll certainly be doing so when I get home. He plays in the hybrid style and I don't remember seeing anyone better.

He was followed by a Romanian gypsy band - with an oversized brass section including 2 tubas! Who needs 2 tubas? One tuba is usually a tuba too many. They were lively and enthusiastic and, no doubt, good musicians - but not for me.

They were followed by Pentangle - who........well, probably disappointed to be honest. I REALLY wanted to enjoy it - but of the 5 of them only Danny Thompson displays any personality. And he doesn't even get a microphone. John Renbourne and Bert Jansch are superb guitarists but they sit and face each other across the stage and as an audience member I felt completely disengaged. I've seen them both individually and far preferred that. It's not that they played badly - it was just a bit like eavesdropping on a rehearsal.

Unfortunately evening pics don't work out so well either. Sorry about that. Maybe next year you could all chip in and buy me a fancy new camera!!

And so, from Cambridge, a penultimate goodnight.

Stay warm out there!

Stuart

ps - just in case there is anyone out there interested in guitars (!) Richard Thompson played a Lowden, Bert Jansch a Yamaha and John Renbourne a Collings (I believe)

lueders

Sat Jul 30, 2011 7:30 pm

Stu,

It sounds like you had a blast! What great performers were there! :) :)

Did Richard T. do Vincent Black Lightning? (I 'spose he probably did since that was a big one for him.)
I just love that song!!!! And no one rocks a black beret like Richard?

Hard to imagine Renbourne & Jansch underwhelming...but I know what you mean when there is virtually no
interaction. (The performance can feel kinda stuffy.)

Anyways, Stuart thanks for the awesome report!!!

Cori

TGNeil

Sat Jul 30, 2011 9:53 pm

reiver wrote:
Stuart

ps - just in case there is anyone out there interested in guitars (!) Richard Thompson played a Lowden, Bert Jansch a Yamaha and John Renbourne a Collings (I believe)[/quote]

Stuart-

I wish I could have been there even though it may not have lived up to old-time standards. Not likely John was playing a Collings as his main guitar for the last 20 years or so was built by Ralph Bown, after his Franklin needed to be retired after a bit too much traveling. I'm not surprised he and Bert were not too personable as Bert can be tough to get along with and has a few chips on his shoulder... (maybe my slightly biased opinion after some interactions with each of them).

Neil

willem

Sun Jul 31, 2011 3:09 am

Hi Stuart,,i had a busy weekend too so i had to catch up 3 pages of TG Stuarts report on the happy campers,drinkin,music festival,,of course the music is the importantst,,man i am happy for you that you had such fun and that i could join with reading your report,,i believe there is one day to go???

Willem

reiver

Sun Jul 31, 2011 3:20 am

lueders wrote:
Stu,

It sounds like you had a blast! What great performers were there! :) :)

Did Richard T. do Vincent Black Lightning? (I 'spose he probably did since that was a big one for him.)
I just love that song!!!! And no one rocks a black beret like Richard?

Hard to imagine Renbourne & Jansch underwhelming...but I know what you mean when there is virtually no
interaction. (The performance can feel kinda stuffy.)

Anyways, Stuart thanks for the awesome report!!!

Cori
Hey Cori

Yeah - he most certainly did play Vincent Black Lightning........kicked it's butt all over Cambridge, in fact. He has been the highlight of the festival for me. Wasn't a particular fan before - most certainly am now.

reiver

Sun Jul 31, 2011 3:31 am

TGNeil wrote:
Stuart-

I wish I could have been there even though it may not have lived up to old-time standards. Not likely John was playing a Collings as his main guitar for the last 20 years or so was built by Ralph Bown, after his Franklin needed to be retired after a bit too much traveling. I'm not surprised he and Bert were not too personable as Bert can be tough to get along with and has a few chips on his shoulder... (maybe my slightly biased opinion after some interactions with each of them).

Neil
Neil

Thanks for the clarification. As the song says......."two out of three ain't bad...." I was too far away definite identification and was going by headstock shape and logo appearance without actually being able to read it. I am very surprised ti hear that the guitar is 20 years old - it was a very pale spruce top. No real sign of ageing. Collings didn't seem to fit - but he IS having a signature Martin produced so what do I know?

As for Bert Jansch - we have an expression over here for that type of personality. We call it "coming form Glasgow" :)

Stuart

reiver

Sun Jul 31, 2011 3:36 am

willem wrote:
Hi Stuart,,i had a busy weekend too so i had to catch up 3 pages of TG Stuarts report on the happy campers,drinkin,music festival,,of course the music is the importantst,,man i am happy for you that you had such fun and that i could join with reading your report,,i believe there is one day to go???

Willem
Welcome back to the party, Willem. Yes, I am on the home straight.

Today I will be trying to catch Nathaniel Rateliff (asmerican singer-songwriter) this afternoon and Mary Chapin Carpenter this evening. There will also be a few surprises along the way, I'm sure.

Stuart

reiver

Sun Jul 31, 2011 7:32 am

Martial arts - english style. Complete with fiddle music....... Image

dsmarion

Sun Jul 31, 2011 8:50 am

Ok that is just too much!! LOL Love the architechture in the backdrop as well!

Scott

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic