Beatles historians :)

rapsidy

Thu Jul 28, 2011 9:12 am

I have only beiing listening to the beatles since i joined target... i know hard to believe :unsure: but now im hooked B)

I have most of their albums now but when i first listened to abbey road i really was disappointed with tracks after here comes the son it sounded disjointed etc.. but i persevered seeing as though i paid for it :blink: but now im damn hooked on those last set of songs :laugh: can't get enough and wished they were longer... strange

anyhow can anyone tell me a bit about the idea or arrangement of those songs on abbey road.. are they meant to flow after each other like a series or are they just individual songs???

just curious

Brad

so far i really love the first disc of the white album, sgt peppers, abbey road, magical mystery are the favs so far

mark

Thu Jul 28, 2011 9:40 am

I don't know a lot about this but I'll tell you what I know about Abbey Road

Abbey Road is sometimes known as Paul's album and this refers really to the sequence of songs that you refer to on side 2 (or the second half of the album now that we don't have records any more).
They are all individual songs but allowed to merge into one another. I don't know why they did that. Probably just liked the way it sounded.

This was recorded and released about the same time as Let it be. For some reason they were recorded and released out of sequence.

I think Abbey road was recorded before let it be but released after it.
I believe it was rushed out after the release of let it be because let it be was thought to be not a great album.
Maybe somebody else can confirm or deny this

mark

Thu Jul 28, 2011 9:43 am

rapsidy wrote:

so far i really love the first disc of the white album, sgt peppers, abbey road, magical mystery are the favs so far
Don't forget to check out revolver and Rubber soul as well

dennisg

Thu Jul 28, 2011 9:53 am

Abbey Road marks the tail end of the career of the Beatles as a group, and by that point they could barely stand each other. As a result, they were rarely in the studio at the same time and wanted almost nothing to do with the making of this album. None of them except Paul, that is.

The songs on the second side (of the record album, obviously not the CD) were made up mostly of bits of unfinished songs that the Beatles had no intention of completing. Paul took these bits and, along with recording engineer Geoff Emerick, put them in an order that seemed to give them some cohesion and musical flow.

A lot has been written and said about Paul's control-freakiness, but if it weren't for that quality in him, Abbey Road (and several of their other albums) would be of far lesser quality.

Let It Be was actually recorded before Abbey Road, but released after it. The process of recording Let It Be was so dismal and acrimonious, it was difficult to get the Beatles together for one last album. Paul had to talk the other Beatles into doing it by promising them that it would be a return to the way the Beatles used to record in the good old days. It wasn't. It was Yoko lying in bed in the recording studio, John seeking her advice on the music, and the rest of the Beatles seething in the background -- that is, when they were actually in the studio together, which was rare during the making of Abbey Road.

dsmarion

Thu Jul 28, 2011 2:21 pm

Unrelated to the music, Abbey Road also marked the culmination of the "Paul is dead" conspiracy that had been circulating at the time. Many supposed "clues" were discovered on earlier Beatles songs and also on the cover of the Abbey Road album itself.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paul_is_dead

Scott

dsmarion

Thu Jul 28, 2011 2:31 pm

mark wrote:

Abbey Road is sometimes known as Paul's album and this refers really to the sequence of songs that you refer to on side 2 (or the second half of the album now that we don't have records any more).
By the way, has anyone else heard that vinyl albums may be making a comeback? I have heard it is because young people today having never heard them now find them facinatiing and it has spurred sales of phonographs and vinyl. Heard that fairly recently.

Scott

tovo

Thu Jul 28, 2011 2:57 pm

dsmarion wrote:
mark wrote:

By the way, has anyone else heard that vinyl albums may be making a comeback? I have heard it is because young people today having never heard them now find them facinatiing and it has spurred sales of phonographs and vinyl. Heard that fairly recently.

Scott
Everything old is new again eh? There is no doubt in my mind that vinyl is the stuff. I have an acquaintence who is an audiophile and has a turntable worth a sqillion bucks. The vinyl sounds so rich and warm.

dennisg

Thu Jul 28, 2011 2:58 pm

Vinyl albums have never completely gone away, but they'll never completely come back either. People seem to forget (or never knew in the first place) that vinyl records have to be kept fastidiously clean, otherwise the little dust particles that settle on them get welded into the grooves by the needle, resulting in very annoying clicks, pops, and skips. People also seem to forget that you have to get up and manually flip over the record after each side has completed. Really, the best thing that ever happened to music was the day I could throw away my record-cleaning kit, anti-static gun, and and assortment of cloths. CDs were a godsend, both for audiophiles and for the music industry who suddenly benefited from millions of baby boomers replacing their entire record collections with compact discs. I honestly don't think vinyl records will ever amount to anything more than a niche curiosity.

dsmarion

Thu Jul 28, 2011 3:29 pm

dennisg wrote:
Vinyl albums have never completely gone away, but they'll never completely come back either. People seem to forget (or never knew in the first place) that vinyl records have to be kept fastidiously clean, otherwise the little dust particles that settle on them get welded into the grooves by the needle, resulting in very annoying clicks, pops, and skips. People also seem to forget that you have to get up and manually flip over the record after each side has completed. Really, the best thing that ever happened to music was the day I could throw away my record-cleaning kit, anti-static gun, and and assortment of cloths. CDs were a godsend, both for audiophiles and for the music industry who suddenly benefited from millions of baby boomers replacing their entire record collections with compact discs. I honestly don't think vinyl records will ever amount to anything more than a niche curiosity.
Ahh, yes all the maintenance requirements. My 8-track I only needed a pack of matches! LOL

Scott

neverfoundthetime

Thu Jul 28, 2011 3:32 pm

Man, Brad, you NEED Rubber soul and Revolver! :-)

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic