1/2 STEP UP OR 1/2 STEP DOWN

willem

Sun Aug 14, 2011 5:44 am

hI ,,today i had my intrest to ''more then words'' and put my guitar down a 1/2 step..what a huge diffrent sound and i like it so i played a view other songs with it and i was so amazed how they sound even better ( i did ''teach your children for a example)

I read in the past many times that capo up a half step the guitar sounded much nicer or they were happy'r with that sound,, i also had that experience but now i discovered that one more(1/2 step down),,

do you have such experience ?? ( i don't mean other tunings as the open G tuning for a example,,just 1/2 up or 1/2 step down) And why??

suziko

Sun Aug 14, 2011 6:57 am

Hmmmm.....no not particularly..

I only tune the guitar down or capo it up whenever it's neccessary according to the range of my voice.

Sure tuning it down sounds a bit fuller or something, capoing it sounds kinda nice, but not that much. So in honest, I don't think a half step up or down is that big a deal. A whole step makes far more a difference.

wrench

Sun Aug 14, 2011 7:55 am

willem wrote:
....And why??
Willem,

Tuning up or down a half step reduces the overtones of open strings. The resulting sound, therefore, contains mostly fundamental notes, and fewer overtones than would be produced in standard tuning.

neverfoundthetime

Sun Aug 14, 2011 12:42 pm

Willem I also like a half step down or up and usually have my 12 string tuned down two half steps and the use a capo... it allows me to sing more songs more comfortably. I think Vanessa has a better range than I do (especially towards the top) end so I can imagine she won't need to tune down much! ;-).
Thanks to Dan for explaining why the sound is different.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic