How about another TG World Collaboration?

tovo

Tue Aug 16, 2011 2:31 am

Much of what is good on TG has stemmed from good ideas by members. Collaborations, Busking and the TG banner World Tour are all examples.

This idea may be of interest, or alternatively may fade away into the dark recesses of embarrassment...like your creepy Uncle who refuses to bald gracefully and sports a "swoop" hairdo instead.

Anyway....I had an idea for another group collaboration.

Not much different to the original "Heart of Gold" collaboration but my vision was to get many more members involved. I think from memory the original had about 6 people playing? I'm thinking many more. The great advantage of more people is that each individual only has to play a bar or so and as a result they can undertake to participate even if they don't currently know the tune....they only need to learn a small bit of it.

OK the tune I have in mind is "Blackbird" by the Beatles.

Here's some advantages as I see it:

1. From what I have seen plenty of people on TG already know it.
2. As I said...if you don't know it you can be allocated a small bit to learn.
3. It works well as just an instrumental. I envisage no singing on this one but I'm open.
4. It invites maximum participation that doesn't exclude anyone on the basis that they need to learn the whole tune because they don't.
5. I think it would be cool. A good way to bring the community together. It worked well last time but there are so many more people to get involved.

So what I see for the finished product is the tune performed by as many of us as possible. It's not a big commitment. You can learn as little as a single bar if you want to participate.

If the idea gets support, the first thing I will do is gather the names of all participants and separate them into 2 lists...those who know the whole tune already and those who have to learn a bit. Then I will allocate each person a bar. I think the tune has about 25 measures.

I would look for a suitably motivated tech geek to splice it all together...but I am also willing to do that.

So...I'm looking to measure support for the idea. In summary, it's not a lot of preparation. Tell me you are in and I'll tell you which bit to learn if you need to and play and record.

Somewhere down the track we will sit back and marvel at our collective effort.

OK....over to you guys.

willem

Tue Aug 16, 2011 4:14 am

Hi Tony,,i remember our first collaborartion ''heart of gold'' and that was super doing that,,,many of people that were'nt involved then said next !!! time i am in,,so i think this is there chance,, oh and put me on the list 'cos this is just a good idea..cheersssssss

Willem

Yamaha48

Tue Aug 16, 2011 4:34 am

Hi Tony.

Good to read your idee.
Set me on the list,for blackbird.
Hope for more members here who like your idee.
Come on TG ers,going for!!!!!!.

cheers..................Anton

abiliog

Tue Aug 16, 2011 5:50 am

Tony,
Great, this would be fun,
Add one more to the list, :)
Abilio

dsmarion

Tue Aug 16, 2011 5:50 am

I'm game to give it a try!

Scott

neverfoundthetime

Tue Aug 16, 2011 6:10 am

I'll play a couple of notes ... as long as its not the same ones I stuff up every time I play it!
I guess this is a going to be a musical banner.

daryl

Tue Aug 16, 2011 6:32 am

Interesting idea. Perhaps someone should attempt a prototype of the idea before all the effort to assign and gather the various videos. We've seen this kind of world collaboration on other YT videos and they are VERY impressive. Personally, I don't know how they pull off the precise timing/splicing/editting part. So maybe the tech geek or Tony should create say 4 or 8 videos of single or mulitple bars and attempt to splice them together before this goes much further......

Catman

Tue Aug 16, 2011 3:35 pm

Interesting idea Tony! Count me in.

I suppose that we would need some sort of click track for the timing--a straight metronome setting wouldn't handle the tempo change.

David

reiver

Tue Aug 16, 2011 3:52 pm

Sounds like you've got a lot of work ahead of you Tony. Count me in - you probably just came up with the only way of getting me to post a Beatles tune!

Stuart

willem

Tue Aug 16, 2011 3:57 pm

Hi Tony,,25 bars???

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic