Looking at getting a 12 string. What 12s are you playing on?

dekotaj

Sat Aug 27, 2011 2:57 pm

Going on marshel?

What kind of sound you looking for??Taylor's,Martins,Takamine,Ovation.All great 12 strings.I like the boomers like Guild and Gibson.With the flame maple back and sides, big sound.So first what are you going to use it for???

Kevin

Guitarmom

Sat Sep 03, 2011 10:23 am

Marshel,

I have owned and played a number of different 12 strings over the years. I have chosen Martins for the full rich tone and full bottom end. I have a Martin D12-20 and a D12-28. I owned a Taylor 855ce 12 string, and it too had full rich sound, but the basses were not as full. Taylor always sounded much brighter to me. I have also found that using a lighter gauge string makes it easier to play...especially on barre chords. Another idea is to tune the guitar one half step low... and then use a capo on the first fret to bring it up to pitch. This is fine if you want to use fingerstyle picking on the guitar but won't produce a lot of volume. If you are looking for fill sound and volume use a heavier gauge string.

This may have been mentioned in other strings, but I also suggest whenever purchasing an instrument from E-Bay is that you use the escrow account. This is especially true when spending a bit more for an instrument. Some sellers believe their instrument is "As New". But if the same guitar was found in a retail shop, it might be considered "Good" or "Fair". The escrow option gives you a week or so to receive and play the guitar to confirm it is "as advertised", before releasing the funds. Additionally, a used guitar may not have a scratch on it, but the neck might not be 100% true... and the octave will be either flat or sharp. Until repaired, a guitar like that will never produce tone exactly as you expect it should.

Have fun!

Lavallee

Sat Sep 03, 2011 1:20 pm

Hey Guitarmom, great to see you posting, I have not seen you in a while.

Marc

crowhue

Wed Sep 07, 2011 2:23 pm

marshel wrote:
Looking at purchasing a 12 string guitar. Been on Ebay and there are quit a few brands that I don't remember from when I was active in the late '60s thru the late "70's Brag about your 12 string.
I am looking at spending around $1000 new or used.

In the early '70s I purchased a used Hofner after drueling over a Fender for months. The Fender sounded like a pumpkin compared to the Hofner. I traded it off for a '60s Telacaster in the late '70s. Wish I had it back.

Just put a bid in on a Hofner on ebay. Not much money but if I get it what the heck.

Opinions on Hofner and other brands would be greatly appreciated.
Try out the budget Italian brand, EKO. They are way off $1000 but great value for your cash. You can see where corners have been cut but the basic quality is pretty good and tones are lovely - very Wish You Were Here :)

neverfoundthetime

Wed Sep 07, 2011 4:01 pm

Good 12 string songs?

You've Got To Hide Your Love Away (Beatles)
Sandman (America)
Horse with No Name (America)
Heart of Gold (Neil Young)
Maggie May (Rod Stewart)
More Than A Feeling (Boston)
Mr. Tambourine Man (The Byrds)
Sister Golden Hair (America)
Knocking on Heavens door (Bob Dylan)
Ticket To Ride (The Beatles)
Turn! Turn! Turn! (The Byrds)
Wanted Dead or Alive (Bon Jovi)
Wish You Were Here (Pink Floyd)
Any Gordon Lightfoot song

Chasplaya

Sat Sep 10, 2011 3:25 pm

I have a
Takamine

FP400S

360 Series 12-String
Body Shape: Dreadnought
Rosette:
Top: Solid Spruce
Inlays: Dots
Back: Rosewood
Sides: Rosewood
Fingerboard: Rosewood
Electronics: Parametric
Tuners: Gold Plated
Features:

You can no longer get this new but the higher end Taks are always good and worth looking at. Mine has quite a full bass sound which is great for playing the Blues. Another song to consider which i love tinkering with is Greg Lakes 'I Believe In Father Christmas.

bazzaspain

Sun Sep 02, 2012 8:24 am

I have been thinking about a 12 string, I've played a few but the only one I did that sounded great was a Martin D12 28 , having already a D28 I'm tempted by the D12 28 but then I noticed Gibson have got a 12 string Hummingbird out now that sounds a very nice tone, but unfortunately I'm not that close to anywhere that has one so haven't been able to get a chance to play one myself and feel how it is. I've played a few Gibsons and invariably they always have seemed to have set the action way too high and a 12 string could be a bit of a beast with an action that's too high
Has anyone had an opportunity to try out the Hummingbird and if so what's your thought?

I have heard a Maton that sounds very good it's called an EM425C/12 but I would imagine a Maton is about as rare as hens teeth in Spain so never had the pleasure of playing one, but it does have a really nice sound

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic