Looking at getting a 12 string. What 12s are you playing on?

marshel

Sun Aug 21, 2011 11:28 am

Looking at purchasing a 12 string. Been on Ebay and there are quit a few brands that I don't remember from when I was active in the late '60s thru the late "70's Brag about your 12 string.
I am looking at spending around $1000 new or used.

In the early '70s I purchased a used Hofner after drueling over a Fender for months. The Fender sounded like a pumpkin compared to the Hofner. I traded it off for a '60s Telacaster in the late '70s. Wish I had it back.

Just put a bid in on a Hofner on ebay. Not much money but if I get it what the heck.

Opinions on Hofner and other brands would be greatly appreciated.

dennisg

Sun Aug 21, 2011 12:48 pm

I don't own a 12-string, but I play at least one of them every time I go to my local guitar shop. One of the most popular (and affordable, used) ones is the Taylor 355. It's the only 12-string I've ever played that comes close to approximating the feel of a 6-string, and it sounds wonderful. After I read your post, I looked on eBay and I saw a few available from $750 on up to $2000.

neverfoundthetime

Sun Aug 21, 2011 4:08 pm

Hi marshel, I'm playing a Takamine EN 10- 12 and I love it! Its basically a Martin copy made in 1987 I think.
Absolutely great vale (paid then about $ 1'800.00

I can't recommend Ebay or the like as you really need to play before you buy. I been trying out 6 strings for a while and the differences on a 12 are much greater IMHO. For $ 1'000.00 you will find a good 12 string in a good store new or second hand but you will have to do some shopping for it I think.

Chris

PS: Ovation have made some good 12s which play really nicely.

AcousticAl

Sun Aug 21, 2011 5:04 pm

There's a post on here somewhere of me playing a rented Yamaha 12 string. Wasn't the best guitar-- was about $450 new.

I've tried a gorgeous Larivée 12 string that was about $1400 new. Could prob get it for a grand used- if you can find one!

I'm still mulling the 12 string thing...

Catman

Mon Aug 22, 2011 2:00 am

I'm also looking for a 12-string.

Not living in the US, it is very difficult to find mid-range 12-string guitars to demo in stores. The Taylor dealer doesn't import any 12-string models at all, the Martin dealer only imports low-end 12-string models, and so on.

I did manage to demo a Larrivee L-03 12 (Mahogany) which was pleasant to play, but didn't make me buy it on the spot.

My short-list includes the Taylor 355, Takamine EN 10-12 (both of which have excellent reviews but I have not managed to play) and the above Larrivee.

The only one I would consider buying "remotely" is the Taylor, and even then only after someone I trust has looked it over and played it for me.

-David

neverfoundthetime

Mon Aug 22, 2011 7:21 am

Hi David, I'd vouch for the Takamine. I have tried out every 12 string I have ever come across and have not yet found one that plays better.
I'm going to try out an Avalon (Irish hand made) this week as the guy across the road has a high end guitar loft, a boutique-style shop of expensive guitars.
We are talking over $3'000.00 here!

Catman wrote:
I'm also looking for a 12-string.

Not living in the US, it is very difficult to find mid-range 12-string guitars to demo in stores. The Taylor dealer doesn't import any 12-string models at all, the Martin dealer only imports low-end 12-string models, and so on.

I did manage to demo a Larrivee L-03 12 (Mahogany) which was pleasant to play, but didn't make me buy it on the spot.

My short-list includes the Taylor 355, Takamine EN 10-12 (both of which have excellent reviews but I have not managed to play) and the above Larrivee.

The only one I would consider buying "remotely" is the Taylor, and even then only after someone I trust has looked it over and played it for me.

-David

BigBear

Wed Aug 24, 2011 4:53 pm

Marshel- I own a Taylor 855 12-string that is still my favorite guitar of all time. It plays like a dream and puts out a wonderful balanced sound. And anyone who owns an 800 series will tell you about their simple beauty. Taylors are well known for their 12's because Bob Taylor did so much work and research on them, especially on the early 800 series (which are still called the "Bob Taylor" series). I bought mine new for around $1,500 from a local guitar shop thart was getting rid of inventory. I think they are around $3,600 now so these are "budget busters".

That's why I like Dennis' idea about the Taylor 355. These are new about $1,800 from Guitar Center so used they might get close to your price range. I own a 314ce and can vouch for the great sound (but not close to the 800's, sorry). I believe the 314 is Taylor's best selling guitar worldwide.

I'm sure you realize this but a 12 string is not a 6 string with twice as many strings. A good 12 is built differently. A Taylor 12 is really light but built very strong to resist the pressures from 12 strings. I had a Guild 12 once and it was a nice guitar but really heavy. The structural support gave way to the sound so it sounded dead. Because of this pressure problem many players tune their 12's down a step, the most famous being Leo Kottke. But a tuned down 12 sounds much different than at regular pitch. I don't care for the deeper jangly sound but some do. Others untune their 12 when they put it away to take pressure off. With my Taylor I've never needed to do any of that.

If you buy a used 12 pay very close attention to the area around the bridge. Less expensive 12's tend to "roll" the bridge forward, basically lifting the back end of the bridge because they can't resist the pressures. And the guitar top will lift up as the bridge rolls. A good luthier can sometimes minimize this problem but it rarely goes away. Sometimes the bridge will actually rip away from the guitar top taking some spruce wood with it. Obviously, this isn't good either.

If you see a rolled bridge in a 12, run away fast. Who needs the problems? I've purchased several guitars from eBay and had good fortune each time. But i would have to think hard before I'd buy a 12 that way. Don't know where you live but Craigslist, or equivalent, where you can actually inspect the guitar, is a much better choice. There are a lot of really crappy 12's for sale used. Just be careful.

Good luck on your search and have fun doing it!

Cheers! :cheer:

Catman

Sat Aug 27, 2011 5:25 am

This thread inspired me to scour the local equivalent of Craig's list for a 12-string, and although I've never had found anything before, this time I found an ad for a Taylor 355.

Long story short, I'm now the proud owner of a 2000 Taylor 355...It's everything Dennis said it is--easy playing, big sound

Marshel, now you know what 12-string I'm playing...

Chris, what's a good showcase tune for a 12-string?

-David

dennisg

Sat Aug 27, 2011 7:22 am

Catman wrote:
This thread inspired me to scour the local equivalent of Craig's list for a 12-string, and although I've never had found anything before, this time I found an ad for a Taylor 355.

Long story short, I'm now the proud owner of a 2000 Taylor 355...It's everything Dennis said it is--easy playing, big sound

Marshel, now you know what 12-string I'm playing...

Chris, what's a good showcase tune for a 12-string?

-David
Way to go, David. Who would think you could find a used 355 in the Holy Land? Mazel tov.

I think the perfect song for a 12er is Supertramp's "Give a little bit."

jayswett

Sat Aug 27, 2011 12:11 pm

Another good 12 string song is "Hard Sun" off the Into the Wild soundtrack.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic