Playing in the same spot

tovo

Sun Sep 04, 2011 2:09 pm

Something I have really noticed.

Each day I sit on my comfortable couch and play the tune I am working on. As I practice it improves (usually!). Problem comes when I leave the familiarity of my couch and play in other locations. My playing is noticeably affected.

Do others experience that? I know the answer...play in different spots! But I'm wondering if others have noticed the same issue?

daryl

Sun Sep 04, 2011 2:35 pm

Could it be room acoustics that make it sound different?
It may also be how the new location affects how you hold your guitar?

BTW your question sounded like the beginning of a great original song:

Each day I sit in my comfortable space
And play the tune I am working on
As I practice it improves (backing vocals sing "usually")
The problem comes when I leave the familiarity
And play in another place....

Lavallee

Sun Sep 04, 2011 2:43 pm

I always use my strap. Whether I am sitting (95% of the time) or I stand, the guitar is at the same position relative to arms position. As Daryl said, I think that when you change place to play, the seat is not always at the same height which could affect the playing if the guitar is on your leg and the guitar position changes to what you are used to.

Marc

dennisg

Sun Sep 04, 2011 3:04 pm

It's not an issue for me. Whether I'm slumped over on a plush couch or sitting bolt upright on a wooden chair, I seem to play the same wherever I am.

willem

Sun Sep 04, 2011 3:05 pm

I noticed that every place is diffrent and the guitar must aclimate to the place ,,

neverfoundthetime

Sun Sep 04, 2011 3:17 pm

Maybe you've always practised in that same spot since the beginning Tony. I'm like Marc, with strap on whether sitting or standing, I feel comfortable.
Room acoustics really help make it much more rewarding so I always look for that but otherwise I'm happy wherever.

tovo

Sun Sep 04, 2011 3:28 pm

Hey Daryl. I'm not talking acoustics...I'm talking mistakes...I make many more when I move from my comfort zone. Nice work on the original tune, keep working. Can I claim some royalties? Maybe it will become our "American Pie"?? :)

Marc..are you sponsored by a strap company? ;) I know the strap is a good aid, one that you have been gently encouraging me to use for a couple of years now! When I do...it helps somewhat.

Dennis, have you played around a lot? (with a guitar that is). I reckon like anything it's necessary to do that to become comfortable with it.

Chris definitely I spend 99% of my time in that one place.

neverfoundthetime

Sun Sep 04, 2011 5:42 pm

Well I think when changing spots one in general needs to adjust, because of the change of heights, as in different heights of chairs, couches and so on. So for me, it's something I do automatically, otherwise I can't play. I barely use a strap, well I do when performing (and therefor standing) and that takes a little adjusting as well.

So yeah, I do notice and therefor I do adjust.

Ness

TGMatt

Sun Sep 04, 2011 7:35 pm

This is classic "anchoring" in NLP terms...

You can anchor negatively or positively..

You can help yourself by rerunning mentally through a great playing of the tune in your favorite place in your mind...whilst sitting in your new spot, running it vividly enough a few times and then doing a successful physical run through is a way to build a new "portable" anchor..this becomes then the trigger...run teh trigger first mentally and voila , you should have a "portable" success that is both mental, and physical...

Anchoring techniques are easy to learn and can be adapted to all kinds of circumstances.

Basic NLP Anchoring

Select a feeling that you would like to have in a particular situation.
(For example, you might want to feel motivated and energized when you sit down at your desk to work on your business.)

Take a few moments to remember a time when you had that feeling.
Be sure to choose a strong example.
If you don't have one in your past, imagine what it would be like to feel this way.

Close your eyes and remember that feeling in vivid detail.
Put yourself back there now and relive it in all its intensity.
To enhance the experience you can experiment with the following:

make the image sharper
make the colors brighter
bring the image closer
shift the image position on your mental screen
make the sounds clearer
choose a word that enhances the feeling
(for example, "Yes!", " Brilliant!", etc.)
When your feeling is at its most intense, create a physical association by making a unique gesture (for example, squeeze your thumb, make a fist, press your middle finger and thumb together or pull your earlobe).

As the feeling fades, release your 'anchor' and relax.

Choose another example of having that feeling and repeat the procedure (steps 3-5).
Use the same gesture.

Choose a third example and anchor the feeling to the same gesture.

Check the clock and see how long that took.

Fire off your anchor and check if the feeling comes back.

If the feeling is not intense enough, repeat the procedure.

The Usefulness of NLP Anchoring:

In a situation when you need to feel that way, set off your physical anchor by making the gesture.

If a situation is coming up that requires this kind of feeling, mentally rehearse dealing with that situation while firing off your anchor. Repeat it until you feel confident.

You can STACK or link several anchors to one gesture if you'd like a combination of feelings at once. Just repeat the above instructions for each separate feeling but be sure to use the same gesture each time.
Collapsing Anchors

Often there are particular situations or people in your life that automatically have a negative effect on your frame of mind.

Here's how to neutralize (or collapse) these negative anchors:

Identify the situation that elicits the unwanted feeling.

Select a feeling you'd prefer to experience in this particular situation and create a positive anchor for it (per the instructions above).

Check the time.

Think of the negative situation, then set off the positive anchor. Keep doing this until you feel neutral about the formerly negative situation.

Do this in the real world as soon as possible.
People As Anchors

Do you think of people as 'making' you feel good or bad? Here's how that works.

You have a friend whose company you always enjoy. She listens to you when you need to discuss a problem, compliments you on your handling of difficult situations and basically sees you as worthwhile, talented and a wonderful person. You light up when you see her. Why? Because those good feelings she elicits in you are anchored to the sight of her face and the sound of her voice.

Conversely, you have a relative who is always negative. He belittles your efforts, sees you as a loser and you find yourself feeling that way whenever he's around. Your self-esteem takes a nosedive the minute you see his car pull into your driveway. His presence, or even just the mental image of him, has become an anchor for feelings of inadequacy.

Cheers Matt

tovo

Sun Sep 04, 2011 11:04 pm

Thanks Ness.

Matt, that was pretty useful reading. Thanks a lot for the effort to post it.

Your example of people who make you feel good or bad really struck home for me. I have friends on TG who fit the 1st category and I value that very much. I work with a poisonous person who well and truly fits the 2nd category and is making my life miserable right about now. Anyway, I'm right off topic but again, thanks.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic