Dealing with the nasty side of Youtube

dekotaj

Thu Sep 15, 2011 10:59 pm

tovo wrote:
The supportive and friendly nature of TG was reinforced for me a few nights ago. I typed "Totally Guitars" into Youtube to see which section came up and saw that one of my videos from some time back was at the top as a featured video.

Only about 8 comments there, but a couple of them were pretty nasty. Along the lines of "Dude you suck never sing again". That sort of stuff. I was very pleased with my own reaction which was to agree it wasn`t a great effort and thank them for their input.

It made me realize (or at least reinforced) how good we have it on TG. Nobody would EVER say that here. Advice is far more constructive on TG.

It makes me wonder...what compels people to hide behind their keyboard and write things they would never say to someone`s face? Does it make them feel good? I doubt it.

This is more just an observation I guess. Honestly just wanted to share my thoughts and perhaps hear others. Im not looking for compliments on my playing or singing.
Then Let me compliment you on being a damn good friend!And tell the others to kiss our A*% !!

Kevin

BigBear

Thu Sep 15, 2011 11:00 pm

Tony- you raise a good question that I believe goes to the core of who we are as human beings. I liken the nasty comments some people post to talking behind someone's back. If they said the same garbage to your face you'd deck them. But they are far too cowardly for that.

It is a very sad social commentary that some people's lives are so unfulfilling and empty that they find it necessary to tear down someone else. But they are certainly out there and the anonymity of the internet gives them a place to hide.

Like others have said, pay them no mind but pity them because they are really cold and empty people. I'll skip the faith-based part here but these people need something better in their lives. :cheer:

AndyT

Fri Sep 16, 2011 3:51 am

Good question Tony. Reminds me of how some people overcompensate with plastic surgery, or fast expensive cars....
They're simply not worth the time it takes to read them.

jimlard

Fri Sep 16, 2011 1:37 pm

There is quite a bit of news coverage at the moment about what is termed trolling here in the U.K. Some lad has been sent down for eighteen weeks for posting insulting and disrespectful comments on someones Facebook tribute page, disgusting.
http://blogs.telegraph.co.uk/news/tomch ... -internet/

Guitarmom

Fri Sep 16, 2011 2:21 pm

Jim,

Your post reminded me of a story I heard, of which I am quite fond....

An elder Lakota Native American was teaching his grandchildren about life. This is what he said to them...
A fight is going on inside me...It is a terrible fight, and it is between two wolves.
One wolf represents fear, anger, envy, sorrow, regret, greed, arrogance,self-pity, guilt, resentment, inferiority, lies, pride and superiority.
The other wolf stands for joy,peace, love, hope, sharing, serenity, humility, kindness, benevolence, friendship, empathy, generosity, truth, compassion, and faith.
This same fight is going on inside of you and every other person too.

The children thought about it for a minute and then one child asked his grandfather, “Which wolf will win?”

The old Lakota simply replied…The one I feed.

The moral of the story is... don't feed the trolls by responding.

Mitakuye Oyasin

Rev Kate

jimlard

Fri Sep 16, 2011 2:33 pm

That's a great story Rev Kate, I'll have to tell my lad that one when he is a bit older.

neverfoundthetime

Fri Sep 16, 2011 3:20 pm

I like that... maybe Dermot can fix us up with a DON'T FEED THE TROLLS sign. :-)

thereshopeyet

Fri Sep 16, 2011 4:43 pm

Thanks

Guitarmom

Fri Sep 16, 2011 4:50 pm

You should consider writing some more and putting it to music! I like it!

thereshopeyet

Fri Sep 16, 2011 4:59 pm

Thanks

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic