Dealing with the nasty side of Youtube

tovo

Thu Sep 15, 2011 4:27 pm

The supportive and friendly nature of TG was reinforced for me a few nights ago. I typed "Totally Guitars" into Youtube to see which section came up and saw that one of my videos from some time back was at the top as a featured video.

Only about 8 comments there, but a couple of them were pretty nasty. Along the lines of "Dude you suck never sing again". That sort of stuff. I was very pleased with my own reaction which was to agree it wasn`t a great effort and thank them for their input.

It made me realize (or at least reinforced) how good we have it on TG. Nobody would EVER say that here. Advice is far more constructive on TG.

It makes me wonder...what compels people to hide behind their keyboard and write things they would never say to someone`s face? Does it make them feel good? I doubt it.

This is more just an observation I guess. Honestly just wanted to share my thoughts and perhaps hear others. Im not looking for compliments on my playing or singing.

coomba

Thu Sep 15, 2011 4:39 pm

It wasn't me Tony
I would have said " mate you suck" :laugh: :laugh:
just kidding!
Cheers
Scott

willem

Thu Sep 15, 2011 4:48 pm

I remember something a while ago that was something like that also,,checking out the poster and i must say he was sooooooooooo goooooooood,,wel you know what i mean,,,i think they don't really think in the way of being constructive..

daryl

Thu Sep 15, 2011 4:49 pm

"Does it make them feel good?" Perhaps it's an inferiority complex sort of thing.

TGMatt

Thu Sep 15, 2011 4:53 pm

You cannot imagine some of the comments I delete daily...

One of the worst was "I throw acid in your face" expletive expletive...

But these people are trolls and pimple faced kids, and folk with no values....

So I ignore them and chant "NEXT"

Music Junkie

Thu Sep 15, 2011 5:33 pm

Tony:

I do a lot of YT searches for covers of songs I want to learn. I have viewed more than I can possibly count. Most, if not all of them, have received some VERY nasty comments. Some of them are Damn good covers too. Matt is right. Most people that leave comments like that are little rats that do nothing constructive. They think it is funny to leave comments like that to incite a reaction from the poster. Pretty much the case on any site that allows comments to be placed openly or anonymously.....

I love to read some of the replies by the posters. There are some great comebacks..... :P

To the point of TG though, you are right. You would never see that here. Of course, I think most of us are in the same boat and realize what it takes to put yourself out there. Not an easy thing for many of us to do. For me personally, if I see a video that may not be spectacular, I still respond positively, because that person had the guts to post, and I know full well that the post is probably a work in progress waiting for the truly helpful feedback that this community provides.

So, to sum up, the cyberworld is full of buttwads and they are completely meaningless in the grand scheme.... B)

neverfoundthetime

Thu Sep 15, 2011 6:31 pm

Tony, tell me who it was and I'll hold him while you deck him!

Some guy gave one of my songs a thumbs down and I'm thinking, WTF, what's the point of bothering to listen to something you don't like. Just click on one of the other 90 million videos! So it's great to Have TG when it comes to our music where we can "bask in the love" as Dennis so eloquently put it!

It's like in cars when people swear at other drivers , when there's a physical barrier the inhibitions are lowered and people behave in a way they wouldn't face to face.
And the net is crawling with trolls who you wouldn't want to be in a room with anyway. Also, not many people are good at arguing a point of view without attacking the other person. They confuse the issue with the person and attach too much of their own ego with their own point of view.

I went down the rabbit hole this summer and spent many hours on the net researching controversial topics and came across much of this abuse and rage. You'll find plenty of it when it comes to atheism, evolution, Kennedy, Obama, Bush, the Moon landings, Mars, UFO's, NASA, 2012 and, of course, 911. IT can be confusing and mind boggling and very enlightening all at the same time and we'd never have access to all of this information without the web and as I have said before, if it's not on You Tube, it didn't happen! Almost. I tried leaving a couple of comments and was immediately attacked. I'm always willing to learn so I just stuck to the facts and put my point of view and ignored the insults. If the other person is a decent, intelligent person after all, they may take something on board, if not, they can KMA! ;-).

One thing to keep in mind is that without the internet we would be at the mercy of main stream media which translates to censorship, ignoring many political facts or events which doesn't gell with TPTB and keeping us in the dark on many critical issues. Most noticeable is the US media virtual black-out or negative spin on Ron Paul. I don't want to discuss politics here, this is just a glaring example. Living in Europe, I have access to British, American, German, Austrian, Swiss, French and Italian news (I can at least understand the pictures in French and Italian) and I notice the big differences in what gets reported and what not. I also take in Russian TV and Al Jazeera. On 911, there were no critical views aired on the English languages channels but there were some very challenging programmes aired in Austria, Switzerland and Germany. The more you know, the better judgements you can make so look out for any laws which may be on the way which could be aimed at limiting your internet access!

BTW, happy to discuss any of the above issues on PM, just not in the forum. Suffice to say that on some of the above mentioned I had my eyes opened!

wiley

Thu Sep 15, 2011 7:19 pm

Back in the day, Online Poker sites had these cute little boxes usually on the lower left corner of the screen. They were called 'chat boxes' and, just about anything goes were the rules, then the sites censored the language to exclude expletives and such.

It was funny actually, unbelievable on the other hand. Some players were banned from chatting, IOW they couldn't use the chat box. Why? Well, who's to say? I always thought of the thing as a kind of 'tell', like one particular player would go off his game if you 'yelled' at him/her or the like, useful in a way.

I can't even recall the ungodly number of times I got pulled down, told how awful I was! My normal reply, if I did so, was usually along the lines of "What? You no likey play wif id-i-ot?" or, "I'm only twelve and I'm telling my Big Brother (or Mommy/Daddy/Sister) about what you said and he's (she's) gonna come over to your house and beat you up!!"

So yea, people are people and the fact one remains 'anonymous' has a lot to do with the inhibition of character not usually seen in 'real' life. We need remember, most think of 'internet' of any kind as a sort of 'make-believe' world, like a video game. So yea, there are those whom get their kicks from degrading others. Like little boys running around hitting, pulling, punching, screaming, etc.

As for those old Poker Room chat boxes, the smarter ones of us used them sparingly yet we did pay close attention to them. Funny how easily one can turn an idiot into an ATM!

Lavallee

Thu Sep 15, 2011 9:39 pm

These comments on Youtube are to be ignored. It is like having a good dinner and being serve by a rude waiter, you cannot let him spoil your fun.

Marc

thereshopeyet

Thu Sep 15, 2011 10:21 pm

Thanks

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic