Thanks

TGMatt

Fri Sep 30, 2011 6:11 pm

Dermot..

The post started with some merit..

Then....

well...

Here is the deal...

The Target program at the Meta level, is to teach you theory, techniques and ability through the fun of your favorite songs....people get there objective every day here. they progress

You can get an end to end program of beginners theory with an objective at the end of having past the written test, and the ability to understand some concepts and actually play some stuff

You can get an end to end program with objectives for every theory course we have posted, be it blues or strumming or scales etc etc..they teach you from beginning to end..

You can get an end to end experience on any song...for the concept(s) that are taught in that song....and at the end of it you have learnt theory, skill, technique and a song...

So it is all a matter of perspective...

You have decided that there is no Target for you anywhere, no "complete" program..I think others may differ, that the Target they set for themselves, of having fun, and playing better has been surpassed...and if they thought about learning one particular skill be it beginners, or advanced they can do it in any number of ways here....and arrive at the same conclusion , the Target of playing guitar better and with fun...

If that doesn't make sense to you then that is ok by me....we simply cannot ever please everyone..

The idea that Neil can coach everyone through there levels is unrealistic at best...

The idea that we may do more focused take step A to step Z, programs...is something that we are actively thinking about and working on..

Thx for the Lucky to get Bronze back hander...

Yes it's true we can get better...and intend to , starting with our technology platform and ability to arrange content within that platform..

and more, maybe just not the way or at the pace you desire..there is always a contrarian in the room, we can learn a lot from helpful suggestion and we realize we need to keep improving....

Cheers

neverfoundthetime

Fri Sep 30, 2011 6:34 pm

Dermot, I'm not not sure what prompted your post. For someone who seems quite off-beat and creative with his posts I'm a little perplexed. Are you seriously asking for a tightly structured programme(like a starched shirt) instead of the the wonderwall of songs, techniques, theory and fun we have in TARGET? Doesn't add up for me. Thank God Neil doesn't frog-march us through anything on rail-road tracks, in my opinion, that is no way to learn or teach. The way Neil does things, there is so much room for discovery and non-linear progress and FUN. For me the openness of this method contains great wisdom. This is master class, in my opinion.

I'm not wanting to shoot you down in flames here, just trying to understand your point. At the moment, I just shaking my head. Did I miss something?

millponddave

Fri Sep 30, 2011 7:14 pm

I'm sorry Dermot, but I'm shaking my head as well.....I totally disagree with you....

I wrote down several times a lót, and I mean, a lót more than this, but I kept deleting it...

I'm sorry, I keep on deleting..

Ness

TGNeil

Fri Sep 30, 2011 8:03 pm

Dermot,

I'm not really sure what to say except that I found your post misguided, uninformed, and offensive. Apparently some unrealistic expectations can be placed on the messengers and are fuel for complaint? I can only do so much to help each student on their own path. I can't walk you down the path step by step. You have to learn to take your own steps. That is what I try to do as a teacher, show you how to find the steps that are best for you. This is certainly not a one size fits all situation.

On a side note, one of my main teaching philosophies is to teach students to learn things differently, not necessarily in the manner they are most comfortable with. I spend most of my time with private students pushing them in uncomfortable directions, not letting them cruise in their comfort zone. That is, unless I've come to the unfortunate conclusion that they will hit the wall, or plateau, and there is nothing I can do to help them until they figure it out. At that point, they are looking for another teacher and I wish them the best.

Neil

thereshopeyet

Fri Sep 30, 2011 8:35 pm

Thanks

cosmicmechanic

Fri Sep 30, 2011 9:21 pm

thereshopeyet wrote:
What do the other sites do that deserves a them Gold.
You guys think think that's acceptable?
Hi Dermot ... looks like this bronze rating pushed some buttons for you (quite diplomatic of me, huh?)
Maybe it would be appropriate to mention that these contests are not based on a structured evaluation of the relative merits of the online guitar instruction sites.

It's just that anyone who is aware of the contest can vote for a site (if he has the time), hoping to attract attention to it.
It may be the only guitar site the person has tried, or maybe even not tried : a person just needs to ask all his relatives and friends to vote, it's like "Vote for your favorite local band", you vote for the one your brother plays drums in.

If I had not seen the thread on the TG forum mentioning it, I wouldn't have known there was a contest, since "Acoustic Guitar Magazine" was not on my radar at the time. I then logged on to the magazine's site and voted for TG of course, because I want TG to gain exposure and stay around a long time.

So this bronze medal-thingy is cool ... TG is a very young site and got some extra publicity from it. Any interpretation of this that leads to thinking the gold and silver sites' lessons are more worthy than the TG lessons is misguided. We know better :) .

Keep drawing and playing !
Pierre

thereshopeyet

Fri Sep 30, 2011 10:37 pm

Thanks

thereshopeyet

Fri Sep 30, 2011 10:57 pm

Thanks

willem

Sat Oct 01, 2011 4:39 am

thereshopeyet wrote:
Looking on the brighter side of life as Pierre said!
We know better :)

I am glad you are still here and i hope someday we play a blackbird together,,oh i am sure we do a good job....

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic