Revisiting Die Gitarre in Winterthur

neverfoundthetime

Thu Sep 29, 2011 6:45 pm

Hi folks. Remember last year's trip to Die Gitarre, my favourite guitar shop? Well I popped in again today to stick my hand in the candy jar for a while and lick my fingers. Yummy! This time the shop owner, Franco Marioli, came down for a chat and I got him to show us some beauts so that I could capture them on film. Of course, my heart still beats for a BSG D27 Rosewood and that's what Franco is playing first. Followed by a Taylor 814, a Martin HD 28, a BSG Grand Jumbo Brazilian Rosewood and "The Bone Crusher" Gibson.

My heart is still set on the BSG D27... next time in I am leaving the shop with one and a hole in my pocket to the tune of about $2'800.00
Once a guitar speaks to you... you stay spoken too!

Just for comparison (prices adjusted to allow for the current Dollar exchange rate):
Taylor 814: $ 7'000.00
Martin HD 28: $3'500.00
BSG Jumbo Brazilian Rosewood: $ 4'800.00
Bone Crusher Gibson: $4'500.00

daryl

Thu Sep 29, 2011 6:55 pm

What a lot of nice guitars. I'll take one of each please!

cosmicmechanic

Thu Sep 29, 2011 8:38 pm

Got to be sure-footed when you wander around in that $tore ... no "Bull in a guitar $hop" !

jimbo58

Thu Sep 29, 2011 10:48 pm

beautiful sounds................beautiful to look at............and i'm sure they must be beautiful to hold............all the things that make acoustic guitars unique!

Jim

willem

Fri Sep 30, 2011 3:43 am

very nice guitars in sound and looks,,gee the man play's them really well too...

neverfoundthetime

Fri Sep 30, 2011 6:19 am

An interesting point Franco made about the Gibsons is that you can pick them out in the mix so that when there is a lot going on in a song on stage or the studio mix, you can identify the Gibson really well.

It's fascinating to me how each make of guitar has its distinctive sound. I know the sound of Takamine very well having owned two for many years and I can now identify the Martin and Taylor sound too. Interesting that the guitars made in Czech Republic(BSG & Furch / Stonebridge) have a sound which speaks to me (a lot of sustain, overtones, bright), what I'd call a "European" sound. It is also clear to me by now that I don't need a cutaway or electronics and its the dreadnought shape and feel which sits well in my hands and ears. I'm slowly becoming sensitized to the subtitles of guitars.

willem

Fri Sep 30, 2011 7:19 am

neverfoundthetime wrote:
An interesting point Franco made about the Gibsons is that you can pick them out in the mix so that when there is a lot going on in a song on stage or the studio mix, you can identify the Gibson really well.

It's fascinating to me how each make of guitar has its distinctive sound. I know the sound of Takamine very well having owned two for many years and I can now identify the Martin and Taylor sound too. Interesting that the guitars made in Czech Republic(BSG & Furch / Stonebridge) have a sound which speaks to me (a lot of sustain, overtones, bright), what I'd call a "European" sound. It is also clear to me by now that I don't need a cutaway or electronics and its the dreadnought shape and feel which sits well in my hands and ears. I'm slowly becoming sensitized to the subtitles of guitars.

I think i hear you and love the saying ''European sound''...don't know a baut good electronics in it,,plugged in is a ease'r way then sound them out in front of a mike and you can alway adjust a bit when you the buttons are near you,,,but that is all on stage things...

dennisg

Fri Sep 30, 2011 7:24 am

If nothing else, at least we got to listen to some nice music. This was enjoyable, Chris -- thanks for posting it.

Hard to understand the price discrepancy between the Taylor 814 and the Martin HD28, both excellent guitars. At your shop, the Taylor sells for double the price of the Martin. In the U.S., the Taylor sells for about $2900 and the Martin for $2550. Also, I'm curious to know how BSG is able to get its hands on Brazilian rosewood, let alone sell it so relatively cheaply.

neverfoundthetime

Fri Sep 30, 2011 11:04 am

I'll ask Franco about that next time I'm there Dennis. I think I remember him saying last year that Die Gitarre has Brazialian Rosewood of its own and they get BSG to make some guitars out of that. Which just begs the question, where does Franco get it.

I guess the big price differences have to do with the different ways the import business is set up with the agents in Europe.
Obviously you'd want to buy BSG here and Taylors, Martins and Gibsons in the US.... and then duck for cover when the customs man takes an unhealthy interest in the contents of your guitar case....

"I played 2 BSG guitars in Poland recently and must compliment them on their great work, both guitars were extremely well made, beautifully finished, and sounded big, rich and sweet, with a lot of volume for a small bodied guitar...
I enjoyed playing both guitars, and wish BSG a lot of success in the business"

Tommy Emmanuel Image

BobR

Fri Sep 30, 2011 11:29 am

Chris,

Very pleasing to watch and of course, listen to.

Thanks for posting

Bob

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic