Take your favorite guitar when shopping for a new one

Hydroman52

Sat Oct 22, 2011 2:40 pm

I read this tip at frets.com. Take you favorite guitar along when shopping for a new one. Instruments can sound much different in different environments and taking an instrument that you are familiar with will give you a reference point in which to compare. I have never thought of doing that, but it makes a lot of sense. Or, at least, when you get the field narrowed down to a few, then take your best ax in to compare.

I would also suggest cleaning it up beforehand and putting on new strings. Before you make the final decision on a purchase, you might want to have someone else play the guitars while you stand in front where your audience might be and do a comparison. They can sound a bit different from that perspective than when you are playing them.

Of course, if you can get a 90-day buyer's remorse no-questions-asked money-back guarantee, that's good, too.

Hydroman52

Chasplaya

Sat Oct 22, 2011 4:47 pm

Great tip I'll try that out when I convince my Wife to let me buy guitar number 8...

Chasplaya

Sat Oct 22, 2011 5:50 pm

Very good tip Hydro, thanks! :)

thereshopeyet

Sat Oct 22, 2011 6:10 pm

Thanks

dennisg

Sat Oct 22, 2011 6:12 pm

That's an excellent tip. It's impossible to walk into a new environment and pick up a strange guitar, then expect yourself to remember what kind of tone the guitar that's sitting at home has.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic