Poll: Calling all bass players: How hard is it for someone that plays the guitar to play the bass?

haoli25

Sun Dec 04, 2011 10:04 am

You are just toooooooo coooooool, Michele. That was great. You put a huge smile on my face. I have never seen a bass player have such great hand position. :) :) :) Thank you for sharing your video with us.

Bill Image

Catman

Sun Dec 04, 2011 10:09 am

Hey Michelle,

You're off to a good start.

I think you are OK on the position you are holding the bass. You should be working with the same fretting hand position as you do for your 6-string guitar, it will be the most natural for you. The great bass guitarists in these clips keep their instrument necks up fairly high...

And since you posted in Buddy's Amazing Grace thread, this one ties the two together...

David

michelew

Sun Dec 04, 2011 3:17 pm

Daryl - thanks. Multitracks....ell they will keep me off the streets and out of trouble.

dsmarion wrote:
michelew wrote:
I've also discovered that basses are a bit feisty and don't get on so well ceiling fans. Oops. :)
Ha! I discovered that years ago with my pool cues in places where they had low ceiling fans. Bb-b-b-b-t-t-t-t-t--dd-d-d-d-d-d-d-t-t-t-t!!!! Not good!

Scott
Scott - Not the pool cue. Ahhh!! :) then you more than get the picture. Ouch.

michelew

Sun Dec 04, 2011 3:24 pm

haoli25 wrote:
You are just toooooooo coooooool, Michele. That was great. You put a huge smile on my face. I have never seen a bass player have such great hand position. :) :) :) Thank you for sharing your video with us.

Bill Image
Thanks Bill. You are a sweetie!! I love those clapping hands.

Great hand position...for a guitar player LOL B) I've got to fix them to be a bass player though. When I'm relaxing and not trying to record I can make the change more. But it seems when I stress myself I revert to the guitar tricks and the guitar way or plucking, and fretting. It's all part of this crazy ride that I've jumped on so since I've got my ticket I'm not getting off until I've tamed this bronco. :) It's all good.

Thanks for the cheers. Cool definitely is the target destination.

Michele

michelew

Sun Dec 04, 2011 3:35 pm

Catman wrote:
Hey Michelle,

You're off to a good start.

I think you are OK on the position you are holding the bass. You should be working with the same fretting hand position as you do for your 6-string guitar, it will be the most natural for you. The great bass guitarists in these clips keep their instrument necks up fairly high...

And since you posted in Buddy's Amazing Grace thread, this one ties the two together...

David
Thanks for the supprot David. And those clips were very cool. I especially enjoyed Victor Wilden. Very cool.

Michele

AndyT

Mon Dec 05, 2011 2:05 am

Obviously I missed the onset of this thread. Couldn't vote on the poll, but anything I would have added was already said by so many others. I've played bass a few times for a group I jam with but it's far from my favorite instrument.

Sounding good Michelle, I like the 'Aint No Sunshine' vid you posted.

And I saw my name way back in the first page and was a bit confused. Was I supposed to ask the boss to get a sex change for someone? LOL
Somehow, I don't think He'll go for it. Check with your insurance company instead. LMBO

Anyway, Nice going, and good choice on the new axe.

crowhue

Mon Dec 05, 2011 5:46 am

Im a 20+ year six string guitar player and I must admit I always though bass looked pretty easy. A couple of goes soon dispelled that myth. Its a different kind of vibe to normal guitar and demands more insight into rhythm and driving the beat of a song or band. Good fun though.

willem

Mon Dec 05, 2011 6:02 am

crowhue wrote:
Im a 20+ year six string guitar player and I must admit I always though bass looked pretty easy. A couple of goes soon dispelled that myth. Its a different kind of vibe to normal guitar and demands more insight into rhythm and driving the beat of a song or band. Good fun though.

I never forget this line 'cos i think your absolute right and worth to get knowing how to play bass cq rhythm,,,,thank you..

W.

michelew

Mon Dec 05, 2011 6:09 am

crowhue wrote:
Crowhue - it's exactly that different vibe and focus that has attracted me to it. Oh and some kick arse players and the fact that bass lines are starting to talk to me...maybe I need to see someone about that last bit...:) It would be great to hear more about you Crowhue. Feel free to wonder over to the 'Introduce yourself ' thread category if you haven't done so already. I've been a little absent around here lately so you might have. A big 'Hi" from Sydney regardless.

Andy - I didn't realise you were so versatile. Maybe you can show us your grooves one day, that would be cool. Thanks for the kind words. Regarding the earlier reference to you, it's nothing sinister, after Sue and I (and Meg at the time - Izzy?) adopted the name Banshee (a group or women) you misread one of my posts as 'boots' being a prerequisite for the band. Well replace the 't' in boots for a 'b' and you have the actual prereq., which cracked you up once you realised your mistake. Unfortunately I can't find the thread now. Anyway, I was basically telling Tony earlier in this thread that his quest to qualify for membership with bros (man-boobs) was as misguided as your boots theory. I don't think Tony wants to enter the band that badly so no need to check with your boss on that one.

BTW -Thanks regarding the axe thumbs up - are bass-guitars still axes? - well they look like long necked, big-arse guitars so I guess so.

M.

AndyT

Mon Dec 05, 2011 2:10 pm

My grooves? Ratz, I was hoping those didn't show. I've been loosing weight you know.... OH! You meant... Yeah.... Um.... LOL

My time on bass consisted of some very simple picking on the minor pentatonic scale as the rest of them played wildly.

Yes! LMBO! I remember that thread some time ago. Wow, what a memory you have. Remind me not to get into a game of trivial pursuit with you. LOL
Well, it's a relief because I was worried about Tony needing a sex change. LOL I was afraid Chris might have tried to talk him into something drastic...

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic