Poll: Calling all bass players: How hard is it for someone that plays the guitar to play the bass?

michelew

Mon Oct 24, 2011 1:33 am

suziko wrote:
Shel, I think we already have a band name.... unless we're ready for an image shake-up? Along with what you mentioned, another thing I remember hearing at my rock camp was that if you are a bassist (or drummer, actually), you'll never want for work. I think you're right- most people seem to gravitate toward the more showy side of the band. Though I wonder if the same could be said of rhythm guitarists? They also support and set the foundation (to steal your words) of the band.
Suzi, good point about rhythm guitarists. I suspect that there are simply more guitarist in general becuase it works so well as a solo instrument, especially for singers.

Regarding our name, I do like it but Nessa doesn't really fit the newbie component of it. So I guess I was offering it up for her to decide.

:) image shake up, well with your new rock chick cred you might want to decide on that one. B)

Shel

michelew

Mon Oct 24, 2011 4:25 am

Hahaha! Some funny discussion going on in here! :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Buttuh of cóurse I'm joining this new awesome cool band! (well I was already in it! ;) )

So Suzi, what do you want me to play? Oh wait, you play the guitar, Shel does bass, then I'll cover the drums, quite a combo, how bout that? :cheer:

And roadies please join us! :P

willem

Mon Oct 24, 2011 4:48 am

Part of me thinks that if you think playing bass is boring (I actually find it a bit insulting to real bassplayers), you just don't know what to do with it. Wich goes for me, I can play the basics quite easily, my timing is quite solid, and for that it'll do, but I've definitely reached my limits since I'm not learning anything new on it and for that the playing becomes kinda repetative wich leads to boredom.

Bassplayers are highly underrated musicians, they are só damn important, but are barely noticed for it.

As for me, I definitely loose myself in playing music when I'm being carried by a great bassplayer, it is súch a drive. And in almost every band I ever joined thankfully there was one, and indeed they are usually kinda cool, but also intravert people. I've often thought that it comes with the instrument. Leadguitarplayers on the other hand are often extravert and egocentric, a pain to work with, because they want to stand in the spotlight all the time. (I'm of course generalizing, don't hold it against me please, it's just my own experience).

So personally I think a really good musician is able to do both, to adjust any time neccessary. Like in a sockerteam (or whatever sport), you're there to make the team the best they can be, no matter wich position you're supposed to cover.

Most bands are not able to work together almost always because of ego-issues....

I'm rambling and digressing.....sorry! :S

dsmarion

Mon Oct 24, 2011 5:49 am

tovo wrote:
suziko wrote:
Good joke, Tony. But be careful! I seem to remember some member getting their feathers quite ruffled the one time you started a thread suggesting that bass players don't do anything :) Do you remember that?

Suzi
Yeah I remember. I thought I must be missing something so I have paid a lot of attention to bass players since. I now know how to look cool and go "GGGGGG....CCCCCCC...etc etc. :P
Ok Tony. I got an 'easy' one for you to try then. The Real Me by The Who. Oh, wait, there is no 'GGGGGG....CCCCCCC' in that one. LOL

Scott

MarkM

Mon Oct 24, 2011 10:47 am

I started playing guitar a few years ago in an instructor supported group. My timing was never good so the instructor encouraged me to learn the bass to help. I ended up being the bass player for the group. I'm still a guitar player but my experience with the bass made me a better player. We performed live so I had to make sure I was locked in to the drummer. My timing had to be spot on. Found out it was a workout too. Like the drummer, you pretty much are playing the whole time. All in all, I gained a new found respect for the bass players and drummers. Besides everyone knows the girls always go for the bass player..

Mshrad

willem

Mon Oct 24, 2011 3:59 pm

Take a Gpro file with also a bass track and listen to it ones or twice,,then mute the bass track and listen again,,its not the same,,we need bass players..

michelew

Mon Oct 24, 2011 8:58 pm

Thanks everyone for participating in this thread. I'd especially like to thank the bass players. You've given me the motivation to give it a go. I don't expect it to be easy, but I do expect it to be fun. If nothing else it should be a fun way to learn the fretboard better. I expect it to help me to become a more versatile player and to help with my general guitar skills. So I'll be looking for an inexpensive bass (acoustic I think) so that I can start this new adventure.

And if I become cooler into the bargain and it really is a chick magnet :) then I won't be complaining.

I have a lot of respect for bass players. I have a tonne of respect for people who play multiple instruments. I hope to do both at some point.

And Tony, hopefully you've been doing the tongue-in-cheek Aussie stirrer thing to a large extent. But, I'm sure it's not the length of your strings, but what you do with them that counts mate. :P

There are so many songs that have cool bass lines. I'm excited by the idea of learning some of them.

Woo hoo!!!!!! B) Maybe some of you bass-player wannabes will join me for the ride.

Michele

suziko

Mon Oct 24, 2011 9:17 pm

Very cool, Shel!! I'm proud of you and I can't wait to hear how it goes.

Suzi

michelew

Mon Oct 24, 2011 9:21 pm

Thanks Suzi. And don't you worry, once I get my act together I'll be knocking on your door grinning like a Banshee. :)

wiley

Mon Oct 24, 2011 11:08 pm

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic