Poll: Calling all bass players: How hard is it for someone that plays the guitar to play the bass?

tovo

Sun Oct 23, 2011 5:25 pm

A bass player's son said to him "Dad I wanna learn to play bass". Dad was SO pleased and immediately arranged some lessons. After the first lesson his son was still keen. The next day, Dad came home and found his son watching TV when he should have been at his lesson. Disappointed, he asked his son what was up. "Had to skip the lesson Dad" said junior, "I have a gig tonight".

suziko

Sun Oct 23, 2011 7:40 pm

Good joke, Tony. But be careful! I seem to remember some member getting their feathers quite ruffled the one time you started a thread suggesting that bass players don't do anything :) Do you remember that?

Suzi

michelew

Sun Oct 23, 2011 8:33 pm

suziko wrote:
Shel, are you joining my girl group? I'd love to have you as a bass player!! Ness doesn't know it, but she's already in the band. Actually, you were already in the band, too, I just wasn't sure what you were playing. Now I know.

Suzi
Suzi,

Am I ever! Count me in. Thanks, now i have a great excuse to buy a bass. :)

So what are we calling this awesome new band?

michelew

Sun Oct 23, 2011 8:45 pm

tovo wrote:
A bass player's son said to him "Dad I wanna learn to play bass". Dad was SO pleased and immediately arranged some lessons. After the first lesson his son was still keen. The next day, Dad came home and found his son watching TV when he should have been at his lesson. Disappointed, he asked his son what was up. "Had to skip the lesson Dad" said junior, "I have a gig tonight".
Haha! :) Kill joy! :P

Actually I was reading some material on a bass teaching site which said you can get started playing the bass with a small amount of knowledge (as others have said here) and that it was important to get playing with a group straight away or as soon as you can. It went on to say that there is an undersupply of bass players and you had a good chance of playing in a group with bass skills. I guess lots of people want to lead rather than support and set the foundations.

Well look. I just needed to say I was interested in playing and I've already got and invitation to join a cool band. Jealous? Too late no boys allowed; boobs required.

One of the reasons I started this thread is because I've been listening to a track with a cool bass line.

Fess up Tony. You're worried you can't handle looking that cool. Right? B)

suziko

Sun Oct 23, 2011 8:59 pm

Shel, I think we already have a band name.... unless we're ready for an image shake-up? Along with what you mentioned, another thing I remember hearing at my rock camp was that if you are a bassist (or drummer, actually), you'll never want for work. I think you're right- most people seem to gravitate toward the more showy side of the band. Though I wonder if the same could be said of rhythm guitarists? They also support and set the foundation (to steal your words) of the band.

tovo

Sun Oct 23, 2011 9:37 pm

suziko wrote:
Good joke, Tony. But be careful! I seem to remember some member getting their feathers quite ruffled the one time you started a thread suggesting that bass players don't do anything :) Do you remember that?

Suzi
Yeah I remember. I thought I must be missing something so I have paid a lot of attention to bass players since. I now know how to look cool and go "GGGGGG....CCCCCCC...etc etc. :P

tovo

Sun Oct 23, 2011 9:39 pm

michelew wrote:
Too late no boys allowed; boobs required.

Do manboobs count? I won't stand for discrimination on the basis of cup size!

You're right Shel...I've never looked cool in my life!

haoli25

Sun Oct 23, 2011 9:54 pm

michelew wrote:

Need a roadie?????? :blush: :)

Bill

michelew

Mon Oct 24, 2011 12:53 am

haoli25 wrote:
michelew wrote:

Need a roadie?????? :blush: :)

Bill
:) Bill. - I'm sure we could use a roadie once we become famous as no doubt we're destined to do. You fellas do seem to be useful for hauling heavy things. :)
Although if Nessa joins you might need to compete for the position of head roadie with Cori. :)

michelew

Mon Oct 24, 2011 1:02 am

tovo wrote:
michelew wrote:

Do manboobs count? I won't stand for discrimination on the basis of cup size!

You're right Shel...I've never looked cool in my life!
Manboobs. Eeeek! I'd have to say a definitive NO.

If it was cup size that mattered you might well have me beat.

And you poor bastard, what WAS I thinking discriminating against you and manfolk in general in that way (regardless of manboobs). So I've reconsidered and I believe I speak for my sisters when I say 'NO BOYS ALLOWED'.

Although hope springs eternal. You may want to chat to Andy who though he might be eligible to join Banshee if he worn 'boots'. Ahhhh... close.

:) :) :)

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic