The feel of a strum 1-2-3-4-1............

willem

Sat Oct 29, 2011 8:32 am

You start of with a song and strum it.. it does'nt matter which strum but 'm i right that the feeling of the strum changes after the first measer? and that is be cause of the first count or beat from the second measer??? hope you get me :laugh: B)

wrench

Sat Oct 29, 2011 10:18 am

I think know what you mean, Willem. The first beat of the first measure is relative to silence, whereas the the first beat of the second measure is relative to the fourth beat of the first measure. Is this what you mean?

willem

Sat Oct 29, 2011 12:25 pm

wrench wrote:
I think know what you mean, Willem. The first beat of the first measure is relative to silence, whereas the the first beat of the second measure is relative to the fourth beat of the first measure. Is this what you mean?

sometimes they say you must feel it,,when we think (folk/strum) d-du-udu then i feel this only in the first measer,maybe that comes by the quick last udu followed by the down (first beat) of the second measer,,after thet it feels like du--udu d,,the same i feel in playing swingtime that feels more like ud ud ud even you start with a down,,maybe i ramble,,

for the feel is the first beat second measer very important i think

can you imagine what you must feel when mixing up the strums,, wel counting is the thing ,,but i just talked a baut feeling it..

Music Junkie

Sat Oct 29, 2011 5:42 pm

Well I guess I féél it differently than you Willem! :P

thereshopeyet

Sat Oct 29, 2011 5:51 pm

Thanks

willem

Sun Oct 30, 2011 4:01 am

thereshopeyet wrote:
Well Willem!

I suppose it depends on what your feeling!

:laugh: :laugh:
:ohmy:

:blush:

The feeling is totally gone now i give a big fat accent on every first beat...

songman52

Sun Oct 30, 2011 12:00 pm

Hi Willem. Not exactly sure what you mean, but it might have to do with a song NOT starting on beat one. For instance on the song Brown Eyed Girl by Van Morrison, we start with the bass notes on the count of four, then the strumming/lead parts. So it's "One, two, three, bomp - bomp, One-and Hey where did we go, ...

The two (quick) bass notes (bomp bomp) take the fourth count then the first word (Hey) is on count two in a later measure. Does this make sense? I wish I had video capability then I'd post a short demo.

Sometimes it might not be the actual time that is different, but the types of notes in each measure, such as the intro having sixteenth notes or triplets then the verse having quarter notes or eighth notes or some combination different from the intro. So the beat changes within the time and tempo.

Is this even what you are asking about? Maybe I'm not understanding what you are asking or stating. Just my attempt to help.

Jerry

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic