Practicing pitfalls and what not to do; mind blocks

michelew

Tue Nov 15, 2011 3:27 pm

Dermot,

Hah, very cute! So you think I should eat more chocolate. Well I'm down with that strategy. Woo Hoo!!!

I haven't read the book, but I'll see if I can download it. Thanks for the suggestion.

Choooooocolatteeee. Yuuuuuuuummmmmmmmm B)

M.

tovo

Tue Nov 15, 2011 3:42 pm

Hey Shel,

Great thread, putting out there an issue that plagues us all at some point, whether it's a tricky chord change, a bridge we just can't get, or some other speed bump that hits us along the way. I think all the good advice is there. A bit at a time, a little each day and you will get it. It's sure not a question of talent or ability when it comes to you. If it helps at all, when I reflect on my struggles with NW and a heap of other tunes I think that experience built over time helps so much with the right attitude. See, I know know that a bit each day and I will get it. Maybe not today, or tomorrow, but I'll get it. so my attitude to mistakes and challenges is that they are nothing more than necessary steps on the path to playing well. With that in mind, I rarely get to a state of mind block. My impression of you Shel is that you possess far more patience and calm than I ever will, so I'm sure if you kept my mantra in mind (mistakes are a necessary part of the process) it would benefit you.

When you can snatch the pebble grasshopper......then you are ready!

michelew

Tue Nov 15, 2011 3:56 pm

tovo wrote:
Hey Shel,

Great thread, putting out there an issue that plagues us all at some point, whether it's a tricky chord change, a bridge we just can't get, or some other speed bump that hits us along the way. I think all the good advice is there. A bit at a time, a little each day and you will get it. It's sure not a question of talent or ability when it comes to you. If it helps at all, when I reflect on my struggles with NW and a heap of other tunes I think that experience built over time helps so much with the right attitude. See, I know know that a bit each day and I will get it. Maybe not today, or tomorrow, but I'll get it. so my attitude to mistakes and challenges is that they are nothing more than necessary steps on the path to playing well. With that in mind, I rarely get to a state of mind block. My impression of you Shel is that you possess far more patience and calm than I ever will, so I'm sure if you kept my mantra in mind (mistakes are a necessary part of the process) it would benefit you.

When you can snatch the pebble grasshopper......then you are ready!

Ahhh...you speak with truth sensi. I bow to your wisdom.

I'm glad that you can still say NW and will use your valiant example of courage and sheer bloody mindedness to get me out of this corner. Perhaps I should just walk across the damn wet pain in my socks, rather than learn to hover. B) Although I love seeing though flying scenes in the martial arts movies. My favourite parts.

I digress.

Thanks

Shel

tovo

Tue Nov 15, 2011 4:02 pm

michelew wrote:

I'm glad that you can still say NW

I can't SAY it...I can barely write it!! :)

thereshopeyet

Tue Nov 15, 2011 4:16 pm

Thanks

neverfoundthetime

Wed Nov 16, 2011 6:32 am

So the coach gets out his whip and whistle. What a hard task master!
You're not allowed to talk to me until you've slayed the dragon!

:silly: I'm a big softy really. Coaching is easy. I learned all I needed to know at college on our FA soccer coaching course. All you do is stand at the side lines, gesticulate and shout, "Run faster, try harder, score more goals!". Easy! If you want to get on the Tele though with the professional teams, you have swear (a lot), have rabid tantrums and throw a wobbler at the referee on every decision which goes against your team. It helps if you can blow dry a player's hair at 10 paces with your appreciation of his performance at half time. To get a Knighthood you need to be able to kick a soccer boot at your star player and score (preferably drawing blood from the head) at the end of the game.

Edit: Oh, and its very important to develop a close relationship with any opposing coach...

michelew

Wed Nov 16, 2011 6:51 am

neverfoundthetime wrote:
So the coach gets out his whip and whistle. What a hard task master!
You're not allowed to talk to me until you've slayed the dragon!
...She nods wordlessly...with a whatever-you-say-coach-I-can-do-it-I-won't-let-you-down expression and continues the changes (which are somehow getting easier). Maybe it's the collective goodwill from the community...

... To be continued.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic