Mad World- by Suziko

suziko

Fri Nov 25, 2011 8:35 am

Hey Tony,

Thanks so much. You're right about the tempo, and this might have been a song where working with a metronome would have served me well. I admit that they drive me a bit batty, but that doesn't mean I shouldn't try to do it more often.

The thing I like about periodically tackling a fingerpicking guitar solo piece is that it forces me to focus on the fundamentals. When I play something strummy and especially if it has vocals, my playing can be pretty sloppy and it's not nearly as noticeable. But with something like this, every little mistake is audible. So i think it's a good experiment from time to time. Plus, I just like these solo pieces a lot (in part because I struggle so much as a vocalist- it's nice to take that out of the equation).

Thanks for your support!

tvarga

Fri Nov 25, 2011 11:22 am

Wow Suzi, that was fantastic. I've always loved that song and never heard it played as an instrumental ... and beautifully too! :)
That's definitely going on my 'must learn' list.
-Tom

suziko

Fri Nov 25, 2011 5:16 pm

Hey Tom,

I'm really glad you enjoyed this! If you want to have a go at it, I'd be happy to send you the tab- just let me know! I'm sure you'd do a great job on it.

Suzi

thereshopeyet

Fri Nov 25, 2011 6:42 pm

Thanks

suziko

Fri Nov 25, 2011 9:49 pm

Thanks, Dermot! I do love sad songs, and it seems I've got plenty of company! :)

Suzi

AcousticAl

Sat Nov 26, 2011 10:42 pm

Hey Suzi,

First chance to respond..

Really well done on this great song. Very clean and played with confidence.
I agree with tony, as it seems you did, about the tempo. I think this song wants to be played slower and linger a little longer.

I also agree with you about chord solos. There's no hiding when playing them.

Anyways, great job on a great song.
thanks for sharing.

suziko

Sun Nov 27, 2011 10:05 am

Hey Al,

Thanks for the comment! I'm glad you enjoyed this. I agree on the tempo. It's just something I have to work on, I suppose. As I mentioned, maybe a metronome is the answer, and that's something I'll certainly consider exploring. I've done that in the past and I know it has helped.

Thanks for watching!

Suzi

tvarga

Sun Nov 27, 2011 12:47 pm

Thanks Suzi,
Actually, I've already found the GP file at ultimate-guitar.com. It's such a beautiful arrangement and melody. I missed Reiver's rendition from a year ago, so this is the first I've heard of Ulli Boegershausen. I've watched a ton of his videos on youtube and in fact just purchased his 'Personal Favorites' book. Can't wait to get it. Thanks for pointing him out. I think what I'm liking about his arrangements is that they're all melody and accompaniment together and sound so nice. Occasionally, Neil will play something beautiful like this but he hasn't done many lessons of songs that are like that. He often seems to say that we should figure out how to pick the melody. That may be true, however I really need practice just playing songs like this first. :)
Anyway, if I get the time to practice this song enough, I hope you won't mind if I'd upload my attempt at it too.
-Tom

suziko wrote:
Hey Tom,

I'm really glad you enjoyed this! If you want to have a go at it, I'd be happy to send you the tab- just let me know! I'm sure you'd do a great job on it.

Suzi

cosmicmechanic

Sun Nov 27, 2011 5:07 pm

Hi Suzi,
For me, this tune and it's lyrics are welded together ... so that when it is well played I can hear the lyrics anyway, my head tips to the left, shoulders kinda twist laterally, then maybe twitch a bit. And then there is a mood of ... what's going to happen next ? That's my test for this song ... you passed with flying colors :)

Very nice!
Pierre

suziko

Sun Nov 27, 2011 5:52 pm

Thanks, Pierre! Though from your description, I'm wondering if, for your health's sake, you might want to avoid this song.... or possibly see your doctor about those symptoms. Also- stay away from strobe-lights! :)

Suzi

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic