Mad World- by Suziko

suziko

Wed Nov 23, 2011 3:40 pm

I first heard the Gary Jules version of Mad World (done originally by Tears for Fears) while watching the movie Donnie Darko, almost 10 years ago. I’d never heard the song before and I thought it was one of the most poignant, sad and moving songs I’d ever heard. About a year ago, when Stuart (reiver) posted the guitar solo version of the song (arranged by Ulli Boegershausen), I quickly added it to my “must-learn” list. Up until that point, I’d always thought of the song as a piano-piece, but I loved how it was arranged for guitar. I have been working on it quite faithfully for the past month or so and I found it to be surprisingly challenging for a song that looks so simple and straight-forward in the tab. It's still far from perfect, but it’s been a pleasure to dedicate time to such a great song.

Hope you all enjoy.

Suzi

michelew

Wed Nov 23, 2011 3:54 pm

Ahhhh Suzi, I always love watching your posts.

It's a sad,sad song. Beautiful, sad, beautiful sad, ...

Well I'm feeling sad now so your work has really paid off. It looks like lots of work to me

Beautiful.

Shel

dtaylor

Wed Nov 23, 2011 3:57 pm

Beautifully played Suzi, may I ask what tab you are using?

Dean

neverfoundthetime

Wed Nov 23, 2011 3:59 pm

Wow, nice picking Suzi! Very smooth and expressive... and I love this version of Mad World too. You have it under complete control. It's a real pleasure to see how you have progressed in the past2 4 months. The only thing I can think of as a possible improvement is to slow it down just a tiny bit... maybe?

BobR

Wed Nov 23, 2011 4:10 pm

Suzi,

Your time has been well spent. It may not be perfect according to you, but I found it to be very, very well done.

Bob

songman52

Wed Nov 23, 2011 4:16 pm

Really well done! I enjoyed that immensely. Like Dean, I too would like to know what tabs you used. Pass them on, please?

The vocals were a little soft, I couldn't really hear you. :)

Jerry

suziko

Wed Nov 23, 2011 4:17 pm

Shel- Well, I know that you and I share a love of things that are both sad and beautiful! I'm glad you liked my version of this song. I was really trying to keep it precise but also keep it "alive", which I found to be probably the biggest challenge. But, i'll keep working on it!

Dean- Thanks! I have tab that I got from Stuart (reiver) last year. If you would like, I could email it to you, if you PM me with your email address.

Chris- Thank you, I love this version too. It's so different from the original TfF version. I agree with you about the tempo. I kept trying to remind myself to slow down... but sometimes in the moment I forget!

Bob- I'm really glad you enjoyed it. It's a lovely song to play.

Jerry- I thought I'd take a break from vocals this time. :) I'd be happy to pass on the tab. As I said to Dean, feel free to PM me, and then I can email them to you. Thanks for watching!

MarkM

Wed Nov 23, 2011 4:27 pm

Suzi,

Really well done. I just plain forgot how much I liked this song. A testiment to you because I didn't recognize the title right away. Once you started playing it brought it right back to me. I really enjoyed your playing on this song. You've probably mentioned this in the past but I noticed you have a 12 fret Martin there. How do you like playing the 12 fret from your standard 14 fret guitars? The guitar sounded wonderful.

MarkM

willem

Wed Nov 23, 2011 4:32 pm

Suzi,,that was pleasant,,one of my favo songs,,playing an instrumental is always good to have under the strings,,i enjoyed it very much,maybe i have to agree with Chris to slow it down a bit just a bit but it is the cam i geuss and when you are on your way you just have to go,,i have the same tab but never worked on it but now!!!!!! not sure yet..

coomba

Wed Nov 23, 2011 4:38 pm

Suzi ,
really well played I have not heard this song played as a guitar solo before , you had me listening intently from beginning to end.
Very nice
I will have to ad this to my to do list.

Cheers Scott

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic