Mad World- by Suziko

sbutler

Wed Nov 23, 2011 7:04 pm

Great performance and a wisp of a smile at the end. Well Suzi, my smile was bigger than yours. I really like how you played that song.

Scott

suziko

Wed Nov 23, 2011 7:08 pm

Aaaaaah gosh, that was réally lovely and what a progress you have made as well!

And yes, I think it's a very beautiful song as well.....it's so ....well don't have the words for it, but it's touching, and although you rushed a tiny bit, you still maintained the feel of the song.

Like you I indeed always thought of it as a pianosong, until I heard someone's arrangement for it on guitar (and yes later Stuart uploaded it, and again like you, I asked for the tabs back then.) and it actually works very well and sounds really pretty. Funny enough, this time you inspired me to play it on my piano again, haha! :P Wich is good, since I tend to focus on the guitar way more.

Anyway, it was a real treat to hear you play it, you go girl! ;)

Nessa

Edit: Alright, you've also inspired me to look up the tab for the guitar and play it again! And, i forgot to mention, I loved the taps on your guitar in the chorus! :)

jimcjimc

Wed Nov 23, 2011 7:33 pm

Hi Suzi,
Thanks for posting. I also did not recognize it from the title (actually was thinking about a Cat Stevens song), but I did recognize it once you started
playing. Keep it up!

Jim

skaladar

Wed Nov 23, 2011 7:42 pm

That was very nice Suzi. I’m afraid I wasn’t familiar with this song until now but I can thank you for introducing me to it. I enjoy all your videos quite a bit and this one is no exception. Both thums up! :-)

Thanks for sharing,

♫ Ken ♫

millponddave

Wed Nov 23, 2011 8:42 pm

Suzi,

Very, very nicely done. I am so envious of those of yo that can finger-pick so well.

Dave

lueders

Wed Nov 23, 2011 9:45 pm

Well, Suzi, Suzi I loved it! :) :) :) :) This is really one to be proud of! Excellent post here, lady! And I am with you and michele...there is nothing like a poignant somber tune. (call me strange but I think sad tunes kinda make you feel better in some weird kinda way.) I too, fell in love with the Gary Jules version of madworld when I first heard on the Donnie Darko soundtrack...must have been about 8 years ago or whatever it was...(sorry bout the tangent)

I truly thought your playing was excellent here. You showed much musicality & the time you spent working on it really, really shows!
I noodled with this tune some myself...but then of course I got sidetracked.
You've inspired me here BIGTIME seriously!!

P.S. Dig the tap on the guitar body.

reiver

Thu Nov 24, 2011 7:59 pm

I turn my back for 5 minutes..........

Great job, Suzi. Listening to you play this brought back the memory of struggling through it, wondering what it was taking me so long to learn. I must confess that I'm relieved to hear that you had a similar experience with it. But the good news is that the hard work has really paid off. And the bigger picture is that your improvement as a musician is there for everyone to see. (And hear!) So well done, not just for getting to grips with this song, but for continuing to challenge yourself and improve as a guitarist. You should be very proud of yourself.

Stuart

haoli25

Thu Nov 24, 2011 8:31 pm

The amazing Suzi. Bravo! Bravo! Bravo!

Bill

suziko

Thu Nov 24, 2011 9:51 pm

Sorry for taking some time to get back to everyone on their comments. I was gone for a day, celebrating Thanksgiving with my family. I hope that everyone who celebrates this holiday had a nice one. For those who don’t – just hope you had a nice day! :)

Chas- I don’t think I’ll be competing with Sungha Jung any time soon. That kid is amazing! Glad you liked my version. It’s a beautiful song.

Jay- thanks. You were a hard act to follow this week. Loved your version of A’sR so much!

Scott- Thank you! Really glad you enjoyed. I think dynamics are one of the hardest things to really "get." I'm not where I want to be... but hopefully moving in the right direction.

Scott- Thank you! I usually try to smile a bit more in my performances, but this song is a bit somber. Hence the tiny smile. Plus, in truth, I had to concentrate a lot to not complete mess the thing up. :)

Ness- Thanks so much for your comment. I’m excited to hear that it inspired you to play it on the piano. Well, I might be doing that myself soon, too, since I’ll be getting my own piano next week! I’m really looking forward to that. Yes… the tempo is a bit too fast, and of course now I think “grrrr” I wish I’d slowed down. But it’s hard to get it all just right: the accuracy, the feeling and the tempo. Someday, maybe after I’ve played for 20 years, I’ll get it all to come together. For now, I guess I’m just happy to be playing such a moving song.

Jim- thanks for watching! Glad you liked. Which Cat Stevens song were you thinking of?

Ken- thanks for your comment. I’m glad I could introduce you to such a great song. I recommend you check out one of the many lovely versions on YT.

Dave- Thank you! Have you done any fingerpicking? I’m sure you could do just what I’m doing. It’s all just practice and starting out with simple songs and then working your way up.

Cori- Thanks so much! I love that little slap on the guitar, too. It’s also one of the most fun parts to play, especially cos it’s followed by the little bit with the hammer-ons. I could play those few measures all day. In fact, I practically have….

Stuart- Thank you! You inspired me to learn this song and you were very kind to send me the tab and then answer my questions when I hit a brick wall. I owe you a big thanks for that! I’m happy with the state I got this song to, but I also see ways that I can improve it (and my playing in general) as I move forward. Well, as the motto of Wisconsin goes: “Forward!”

Bill- Aw, shucks…. (blush) Thanks! :blush:

tovo

Thu Nov 24, 2011 10:34 pm

Very, very good job on this Suzi. You have shown great improvement with this video. I felt it was a little fast, but the tempo was very consistent so it's a very minor point.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic