What are you working on?

AndyT

Mon Nov 28, 2011 3:49 pm

Little Drummer Boy.
One of my students is playing a simple version of this for the Christmas Recital and is scared to be on stage alone so I have to accompany her.
I'll be strumming chords while she plays the melody. As easy as it is, now I'm nervous too. LOL

What I'm really looking forward to is working on the Lead Secrets Neil just put out. I play that way already, it will be great to add to it and fill it out more.

frybaby

Wed Nov 30, 2011 10:09 am

Hope That I don't Fall in Love with You - Tom Waits
If I Needed You - Townes VanZant
Because - Dave Clark 5
Old 55 - T.Waits/Eagles.
As I Went Out One Morning -B Dylan.
Words - Neil Young.

I have most of the down and a part of my regular playing routine, but now I am working on embelishing them with chord inversions and few short lead lick and working on left and right hand technique. I strum them all and finger pick them.

The other thing I a working on and find my self realy intrested in and gravitating towards are Jazz chords and how they can be used.

I learned one jazz standard recently "Ain't Misbehavin"

I love the sound of those extended chords Major 7th, 9th, 13th, diminished, augmented etc. I would love to know how to incorporate jazz chords into songs.

Wish Neil would venture off into some jazzier things. Not the avante-guard, fusion or other form that way out there, but the big band, swing style jazz be-bop and blues jazz. Now that’s some cool stuff.

sws626

Thu Dec 08, 2011 7:19 am

I've been too swamped with work to visit the site very often, but have been setting aside an hour or so each day to play. Hopefully, with the holidays coming soon, I'll have time to post a few songs. Mostly, I've just been practicing some of the songs I'd posted previously, but I've also picked up a few more that are coming along pretty well:

Buddy Holly, That'll Be the Day
Bob Dylan, Don't Think Twice
Michael Penn, Long Way Down
Velvet Underground, Femme Fatale
Neil Young, Don't Let It Bring You Down
Eddie Veder, Just Breathe
Steve Winwood, Can't Find My Way Home

-Stuart

webtvdan

Thu Dec 08, 2011 12:07 pm

Since my Busking post “While My Guitar Gently Weeps” I’ve learned a finger picking solo of “Light My Fire” and brushed up on “Frosty” from last year.

In Neil’s review last year of my “Frosty” video he suggested changing his arrangement with a slide and an alternate (easier) diminished chord. His suggestion sounds better and is simpler to play than the original arrangement.

Just starting a new finger picking solo of “Another Day” by the Beatles. I’d like to play occasionally at a local winery and need more material. Choosing songs that sound good but not take long to master is a priority.

songman52

Sat Dec 10, 2011 12:35 am

I feel you, Dennis. I SHOULD be working on the "correct" fingering for Here Comes the Sun since I've been wanting to play it FOREVER, but I get bogged down practicing/playing stuff either for an upcoming Christmas party or mostly working on more songs for the band. Anyway I know I'm so far behind because I don't have a routine for practicing my TG songs. NY Resolution, maybe?
So, I've been working on Sharp Dressed Man, Long Train Running, Pipeline and then re-hashing the usual stuff.

Jerry

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic