What are you working on?

jayswett

Sat Nov 26, 2011 9:43 am

Every six months or so, this question is posed on the forum, and as I enjoy reading the responses and knowing what my TG friends are working on, I thought I would ask again. For those new to the forum, the answer might be a song, particular technique, or concept (theory).

I started working yesterday on Extreme's More Than Words as it has some techniques (percussive and otherwise) that I have yet to learn and represent a departure from the alternate bass fingerpicking with which I have become reasonably familiar thanks to TG. I'm not a huge fan of the song, but I don't dislike it either. I also started working again on Just Can't Say Goodbye, as I love that video of TE in the hotel room with Neil and Matt. I happen to like the song quite alot as well. Finally, I will begin learning the basics of chord theory at some point over the weekend.

I hope everyone had a great Thanksgiving.
Jay

dsmarion

Sat Nov 26, 2011 10:35 am

Jay,

I'd love to hear More Than Words when you get far enough. Very pretty song, especially with the harmonies.

My list of stuff I have been working on is pretty long. I mostly concentrate on fingerpicking songs since that was my major goal to learn. Some of these I have been working on for quite a while and work on them during normal practice rotation sessions (some still need a lot of work but at least I have them memorized and don't need the tab in front of me). Others are new and require a lot more work per day to get to a point of adding them to the rotation. Here are some of what is on each list:

Rotation:
- Cats in the Cradle (getting there)
- Fire and Rain (getting there)
- Never Goin Back Again (still struggling a lot with the picking pattern and speed, especially the chorus)
- Fisherman Blues (fingerpicking verion, very much struggling with it, for a simple sounding short song this one is really tough for me, been trying for a while now)
- Brown Eyed Girl (adding lead fills)
- Margaritaville (adding lead fills)
- Bouree
- Mood For a Day

Newer Songs:
- Winter Wonderland (fingerpicking version, have the chords down but not the picking yet)
- I'll Have to Say I Love You in a Song (just started learning but should pick this one up fairly quick)

Others I have learned fairly well but still play now and then to keep them in playing shape:
- Blackbird
- Tears in Heaven (working on adding some lead fills)
- 59th Street Bridge Song (first song I started here, could not even do it at all at first, deceptively harder than it seems, now I can easliy pick it)
- Here Comes the Sun (fingerpicking version, may start looking at the flatpick version sometime soon)
- Dust in the Wind
- Melissa (want to get my friend to add some keyboard parts but he has been busy since he is back in school)
- Landslide (want to work on adding the solo part)
- a slew of other songs I already knew, I play around with them occasionally just for fun

On hold for now (these I have looked at and worked on a little bit but put on hold for now):
- Silver Wheels
- Thick as a Brick
- Time in a Bottle
- Amie
- Classical Gas

Scott

willem

Sat Nov 26, 2011 12:05 pm

I am very busy with ''silent night ''in G,,G is a very friendly guitar key,,,

tombo1230

Sat Nov 26, 2011 1:57 pm

willem wrote:
I am very busy with ''silent night ''in G,,G is a very friendly guitar key,,,
How weird. just been looking at Silent Night. about to start learning it. Also long term project, still working on Signe,(improving slowly) and Everything I own I have just learned. A few other bits and pieces I am playing to keep them going, like here comes the sun, Stand by me and a little help from my friends. :)

Tom N.

daryl

Sat Nov 26, 2011 3:02 pm

Hey Jay,

I'm still working on a number of TE songs: Angelina, Those Who Wait, Papa George, and his arrangement of Blue Moon and Over the Rainbow. I also thought I'd give his arrangement of Jingle Bells a try. I expect to be working on these songs until the day I die.....

neverfoundthetime

Sat Nov 26, 2011 3:11 pm

Well seeing as my 12 string is parked in open D at the moment because of The Reach, I'm trying anything in open D or E (Capo 2). On the list:
Big Yellow Taxi
Colours
Hymn

...any other suggestions?

tovo

Sat Nov 26, 2011 3:39 pm

I've still got the blues. I'm thinking of starting my own site, TO (Totally Obsessed). :) I'm working on being able to play the 1, 4 and 5 chord in every key on both the 6th and 5th strings. Talk about some tough stretches. I have a wonky pinky finger on my left hand which makes it a tougher challenge. But I like that and I'm slowly improving. That's all I can ask.

mark

Sat Nov 26, 2011 3:47 pm

I've just started working on two new songs, Mad world and Autumn leaves.
Both these have been a direct result of recent uploads here at totally guitars.

Recently I've also learnt a new blues song - sporting life blues
and oh my love by John Lennon

jayswett

Sat Nov 26, 2011 4:34 pm

mark wrote:
I've just started working on two new songs, Mad world and Autumn leaves.
Both these have been a direct result of recent uploads here at totally guitars.

Recently I've also learnt a new blues song - sporting life blues
and oh my love by John Lennon
Mark,
If you haven't seen Dennis' open mic performance of Autumn Leaves, have a look. Also, Vanessa posted a collaboration of it with her talented friend several weeks ago that I would recommend. Any chance you will take the time to post a video of Sporting Life Blues?

Chasplaya

Sat Nov 26, 2011 4:46 pm

Things are a bit slow at the moment due to moving house and my Desktop died and had to be repaired and as yet have not restored the back up from my external hard drive. So a lot of tabs and music is not accessible. However, I have started to set up my guitar room and now have them all on Hercules wall hangers (so at least they are now unpacked and available) Well that's working on something guitarish I guess :P

Songs I currently keep gravitating back to Greg Lakes I Believe In Father Christmas, Guns and Roses Wanted Dead or Alive and last but not least SRV's Life By The Drop all of these on my 12 string.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic