What are you working on?

lueders

Sat Nov 26, 2011 4:57 pm

Glad you posed this question, Jay. :) I like hearing what others are working on even if we don't a get chance to see the post.

I've been on a mandolin kick lately. As far as guitar stuff (albeit less than I'd like) its been a veritable marshmallow roast I been butchering Casey Jones, & The Wing Cries Mary for a little while now. A couple off the Nirvana Unplugged album: Plateau, & Lake Of Fire. And then I've also been concentrating tunes with solos that I like: Casey Jones, Looking Out My Backdoor, Wish You Were here,...mainly just the solos and targeting stuff with either string bends or hybrid picking in it. And I have been working on the short fast solo in I Want Candy (Bow Wow Wow version) to get up to speed on my alternating picking. But my latest obsession is Neil's latest lead secrets...I've been having a blast with that! Of course this is not counting all the numerous songs I tinker with for five minutes here or there...

lueders

Sat Nov 26, 2011 5:33 pm

daryl wrote:
Hey Jay,

I'm still working on a number of TE songs: Angelina, Those Who Wait, Papa George, and his arrangement of Blue Moon and Over the Rainbow. I also thought I'd give his arrangement of Jingle Bells a try. I expect to be working on these songs until the day I die.....

Jeepers, Daryl be sure and post your progress on all or any of those T.E. tunes! Yikes, I saw the tab for a couple of those...intricate, intricate stuff! I'm sure you can do it that, though. Any of those tunes would be great to see. may the guitar gods be with you!

willem

Sat Nov 26, 2011 5:43 pm

lueders wrote:
Glad you posed this question, Jay. :) I like hearing what others are working on even if we don't a get chance to see the post.

I've been on a mandolin kick lately. As far as guitar stuff (albeit less than I'd like) its been a veritable marshmallow roast I been butchering Casey Jones, & The Wing Cries Mary for a little while now. A couple off the Nirvana Unplugged album: Plateau, & Lake Of Fire. And then I've also been concentrating tunes with solos that I like: Casey Jones, Looking Out My Backdoor, Wish You Were here,...mainly just the solos and targeting stuff with either string bends or hybrid picking in it. And I have been working on the short fast solo in I Want Candy (Bow Wow Wow version) to get up to speed on my alternating picking. But my latest obsession is Neil's latest lead secrets...I've been having a blast with that! Of course this is not counting all the numerous songs I tinker with for five minutes here or there...

Hi Cori,,the lead secrets are great stuff,, I now can find all the litlle G chords...

MarkM

Sat Nov 26, 2011 8:55 pm

Nice to see what everyone is working on these days. Can't wait to see all the uploads coming our way.

As for me. I've been in a bit of a rut lately so I've cleared the deck of half attempted songs that just aren't inspiring me or frustrating me to no end. Hopefully when I pick them back up again in a few months they'll behave better. Here are three that I just started earlier this weekend.

The Beatles Blackbird - Yup I never have gotten around to this song until now. Maybe my fingers will cooperate this time around.
George Harrison's - Cosmic Empire from Beware of ABCO. A Neil lesson on this would be outstanding
The Beatles - Strawberry Fields. I'm really enjoying this one so far

Wow I guess I'm in a bit of a Beatles mood this weekend. I'll have to break out the Christmas songs this week as well as we have family coming to the house this year and I've been told I need to show something for all the money that's gone out the door for guitars.............

Oh what's that....... another marshmellow.................. Guess this list will change within the week.......

MarkM

thereshopeyet

Sat Nov 26, 2011 9:24 pm

Thanks

beaker

Sat Nov 26, 2011 9:50 pm

Hey, I like the thread. Looks like a lot of TGer's are up to some pretty interesting things.

For me, it is the new Triad lead theory..... and some songs....

Hesitation Blues
Sally Where'd you Get Your Liquor From?
Diamonds and Rust
Little Martha
Mr Bojangles
The Music Never Stopped
Full Go Round
Morning Yearning
Percy's Song

...... I'm trying to keep a lot of fingerpicking stuff going..... Gotta keep moving those right hand fingers!

Havin' a blast, hope you are too. Beaker.

beaker

Sat Nov 26, 2011 10:09 pm

Hmmmm......working on.....as in practicing and trying to get something down? ......

Well not right now, no time for that....or no focus for that...since at the moment (and the past eight weeks) I've/am working on a performance for one of my best friends who is getting married next wednesday. She asked me and a couple of others (also friends of mine who are musicians) to perform some songs for this occasion. So I can't say that the songs themselves (six in total) are that hard to play or sing for me, but working them out for the others and getting them down togéther, well it certainly takes a lot of work. I'm sure that whoever has ever worked with other musicians, or when doing collabs, it takes a lót of work. And yes, also a few collaborations with Claire and Corina for TG in between.

So I'm looking forward to getting back to some serious practice for songs that I've been working on before all this, wich are Nola by Muriel Anderson and the Bolero, arrangement by Kotaro Oshio. Other songs that I want to get into some more are the Heart ones. I got Silver Wheels down, but want to work out all those cool fills of Crazy on You. Also want to work on the details of Dog and Butterfly and Dreamboat Annie.

So not réally working on songs at the moment, as in trying to get them down, but surely planning to.....on the other hand, réally busy as mentioned already... :S

Great question Jay, always nice to read everyone's replies.

Ness

jimcjimc

Sat Nov 26, 2011 10:18 pm

Chasplaya wrote:
Guns and Roses Wanted Dead or Alive
You mean BJ's Wanted Dead or Alive, or did I miss something?? :dry: :P

Chasplaya

Sat Nov 26, 2011 10:33 pm

nesh16041972 wrote:
Chasplaya wrote:
Guns and Roses Wanted Dead or Alive
You mean BJ's Wanted Dead or Alive, or did I miss something?? :dry: :P
Lol yup you're correct that's what happens when you post early in the morning after a night out and drinking copious amounts of wine, might need to check my other posts now lo

I am working on Sweet Child O' Mine acoustic version though

michelew

Sat Nov 26, 2011 11:15 pm

Good one Jay,

I do like hearing what people are working on.

- Diamonds and Rust - slowly improving and coming together

Learning the fretboard and more specifically to read music and where those notes appear over the fretboard. I've found a couple of apps for iPad. I won't mention them here as I don't want to promote other businesses without TG's OK. Tony - I have another, better recommendation for you. I'll write you.

I don't really have that much time at the moment, some on weekends. However,.... I do have a couple of projects that I'm working on and I have gotten into some new stuff. ... But, y'all will just have to ponder. No it's not skydiving, base jumping nor crocodile wrestling.

I must say, however, that I've given myself newbie overload a little by trying too many new things at once. And I'm firmly in the CONSCIOUS INCOMPETENCE stage with all of them. If I was any more aware of my incompetence I'd need a straight jacket. For example, today I got myself a device so that I can plug into my iPad and start using GarageBand (GB). Haha!! Well I've started. That's about as much as I can say. Ahhhhhh!!! Well it's not just that, that combined with my first adventure to capture the electric-component of my guitar, possible effects, ...blah, blah, blah ... and then the minefield that is recording an GB project.

Well I'm pretty sure I'm awake and that my brain is furiously trying to make new connections. I think I'm awake... Maybe that's the problem... quick check maybe this is one of those scary dreams where I am at the podium and suppose to be presenting to a crowded room AND I've forgotten to bring my speech AND I can't do it off the top of my head ... AND I look down and suddenly realise that I forget to get dressed ... ;) ...

No I'm dressed...phew!

Actually,it's really more funny overload, rather than scary. Hmmm... I need an new analogy. B) :) :P

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic